Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please Create a Name Change Feature!

AuthorMessage
Delver
Dec 08, 2016
Dear KingsIsle,
I know there's already been numerous people suggesting this in the past, but a lot of your Wizard101 players and myself would greatly appreciate it if this were to be an actual thing in the future (possibly added in with the Magic Mirror shop). I hope it can be considered for upcoming future updates. I'm sure there are ways to counter the issues that may surface with this idea, like a tab on our character profile where it shows a list of our previous names and the name you added that person in highlighted words.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Whether this update be introduced through the Magic Shop or by Elixir, I also think that there should be a limit of how many times one can change his/her name.

Possibly a limit of two-three seems fair enough per wizard.

Additionally, all name change should be reflected in his/her wizard's Friend List informing their friends of their previous name and their now new name.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
If they do this, please also include an update so we can type a paragraph with each friend's listing.

Otherwise, a bad one could keep changing names, and tricking people into meeting or chatting again.

It would be nice either way, to be able to type where we met someone, what we thought of them, if they are nice, willing to quest, skill level, whatever. (Only the player could see the typed notes for any friend in their list.)
There is no way to remember all of that long term.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I may be wrong but Nostradonimus may have hinted at this perhaps being possible in future: 'I can't really talk about that, of course, but that's not why you came, is it? No. You want to change your name, don't you? Wait. No? Really?'

Was this an Easter egg, hint or sneaky prediction from the penguin who says he has seen the future and even the end of the Spiral? Or is he just a well-meaning, delusional old penguin? ...or perhaps I'm reading into things that are not there and I'm the delusional old hopeful wizard

I think a lot of players would love the opportunity to change their name. It's been said previously that it is a big deal because our wizard names are intrinsically linked to so much data...but it's because our wizard names are such a big part of our wizard's identity that people want the chance to change it so much! Even if it was a one-time deal per wizard and cost crowns to do, I think it would be a hit with players...so many little Angles running about who hoped to be Angels!

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Oct 8, 2018 wrote:
If they do this, please also include an update so we can type a paragraph with each friend's listing.

Otherwise, a bad one could keep changing names, and tricking people into meeting or chatting again.

It would be nice either way, to be able to type where we met someone, what we thought of them, if they are nice, willing to quest, skill level, whatever. (Only the player could see the typed notes for any friend in their list.)
Absolutely,

I have trouble remembering who folks on my friends list are without name changes.

My wife says I'd forget my own name if I hadn't used it everyday for the past (redacted) years.

Steven125
Christopher12
The Ghoststalker Bros.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I would love a name changing option. One of the methods that was suggested previously was to put the account's username on the friend list and not wizard name. Obviously, there could be issues for the more gullible to paste their password, but I think the idea in general is solid. By that I mean a single unifying name for all your wizards. The nickname is either online, or offline. As a matter of fact, this would SHRINK the amount of people needed on the friend list. It obviously needs further thought on how to make sure the account was more secure, but you get the point I'm making.

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
Victoria FireHeart on Oct 8, 2018 wrote:
I may be wrong but Nostradonimus may have hinted at this perhaps being possible in future: 'I can't really talk about that, of course, but that's not why you came, is it? No. You want to change your name, don't you? Wait. No? Really?'

Was this an Easter egg, hint or sneaky prediction from the penguin who says he has seen the future and even the end of the Spiral? Or is he just a well-meaning, delusional old penguin? ...or perhaps I'm reading into things that are not there and I'm the delusional old hopeful wizard

I think a lot of players would love the opportunity to change their name. It's been said previously that it is a big deal because our wizard names are intrinsically linked to so much data...but it's because our wizard names are such a big part of our wizard's identity that people want the chance to change it so much! Even if it was a one-time deal per wizard and cost crowns to do, I think it would be a hit with players...so many little Angles running about who hoped to be Angels!
I really hope they would consider giving us this feature soon. I originally thought they would maybe add it in with the Magic Mirror update, but I was wrong. And I completely agree that if it were to be an actual thing someday, a lot of players would change their names in a heartbeat and that would mean good business for KI. I'm certain that there are tons of players who regret naming their wizard in a silly or funny manner that they once thought was cool, so I'm sure they would love this idea! I for one happen to be one of those people lol. Please consider this idea KingsIsle!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I have a Fire wizard by the name of Carlos Nightshade. At first I thought "Nightshade" was a cool name but on a Fire wizard? That's a Death name. So yea, I would love to change my name.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
If KI are worried the name changing thing might be overused by trolls then just put a limit on how often, maybe. I doubt most pranksters would want to go through all that. Someone can change it endlessly, every 5 minutes, then I can see people abusing that to prank people or something.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
SparkleTude on Oct 8, 2018 wrote:

In regards to a troll player, make the "Ignore" button permanent to the account rather than the name.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
anecorbie on Nov 24, 2018 wrote:
In regards to a troll player, make the "Ignore" button permanent to the account rather than the name.
Yes. ;)

But if they were just a bit annoying, not enough to "Ignore" but, continuously change their name and do low level annoying stuff on purpose...
Might take a while to figure out who they are. Also not talking about people on a friend list.

Some people have alts, watch a person on one wizard and then soon as they know they're on and where they are...log in to troll them on another wizard.

Now imagine just as soon as the person begins to wonder or catch on, they change their wizard name, wait a bit and start trying to low key annoy again, slightly different behavior this time, but still the person is left wondering "what's going on."

Not all trolling is obvious, especially at first. Sometimes it's a pattern of low key behavior, or of gaslighting.

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
anecorbie on Nov 24, 2018 wrote:
Definitely! The only troubling thing that comes with this update are the trolls that would abuse this feature, so I do hope they put a limit to our names somehow. I'm also crossing my fingers and toes that the cost is reasonably priced.

Please give us this update soon, KingsIsle!

Survivor
Nov 27, 2010
I personally would like to be able to change my forum name. I chose this name for the Pirate101 message boards, so I used a name for my pirate...I don't think it's appropriate for my wizard. I don't play Pirate101 much, so I would love to have my wizard name on the forums instead of my pirate name.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Star Edward on Oct 7, 2018 wrote:
Whether this update be introduced through the Magic Shop or by Elixir, I also think that there should be a limit of how many times one can change his/her name.

Possibly a limit of two-three seems fair enough per wizard.

Additionally, all name change should be reflected in his/her wizard's Friend List informing their friends of their previous name and their now new name.

yes, I know this is a VERY late reply to your post, but another reply brought this thread back up. They could make it so that the FIRST name change per character is free, and then have it cost a set number of crowns after. I know I would only need ONE name change per character in order to set them all up to be the same pattern (which is why I want to do this). They could ALSO make the free rename available ONLY to those who pay for the game (crowns or monthly) and have free players spend crowns for it. To rename a wizard for the one time free, you would simply need to have a recurring membership OR spent crowns in the last 30 days. Perhaps when this goes live (if it does), give the one free rename per character a reward from a quest (so it's easy to keep track of) and give it to EVERYBODY who is a non-F2P character.

Explorer
Jan 10, 2012
Hopefully KI will allow you to change your name "free" once a year per wizard.

After that make it cost something like 1000 crowns per change per wizard.