Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Wizard101 Legacy server?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 26, 2009
This year Wizard101 hit 10 years, and really joined the vaunted club of older mmos.

A lot of these mmo's are actually old enough that they have legacy servers, which is an older version of the game that's open alongside the current up to date version. It's mainly for older players to revel in, and it's neat for newer players to take a look at and see what it was like back then.

Do you think we could ever see one for W101 coming out?

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
LightofRuin on Jul 26, 2018 wrote:
This year Wizard101 hit 10 years, and really joined the vaunted club of older mmos.

A lot of these mmo's are actually old enough that they have legacy servers, which is an older version of the game that's open alongside the current up to date version. It's mainly for older players to revel in, and it's neat for newer players to take a look at and see what it was like back then.

Do you think we could ever see one for W101 coming out?
To be honest, I doubt it.

Wizard101 back then was a stripped down version of what it is today.

Let's list all the features Wizard101 up to Dragonspyre did not have.
  • No crafting
  • No pet training
  • No fishing
  • No custom housing
  • No crown shop (this might be a good thing for some)
  • No meaningful PVP
  • You could just walk onto the duel circle and duel whoever joined regardless of level. For PVP, this isn't really useful as it can lead to situations of one duelist massively overpowering another. This is why castle duel circles exist now for parties, custom PVP, and other things. Plus you have tournaments that accomplish the classic PVP feel that many crave
  • No voice acting
  • Only five worlds (three of which can be beaten in a few days if you try hard enough)
  • No quest tracker (this game isn't open world and not exploration based so it makes sense to have a tracker of some sort)
  • No jewel-crafting
  • No monstrology (I love this side activity)
  • No photomancy

Now we did get a good chunk of these features added pre-Celestia, but that still doesn't change the fact that new content can't be added otherwise it defeats the purpose of the classic server experience. There's no reason for Wizard101 Classic to exist when it was so barebones. While it would be cool to revisit the old game for a little while especially as a 2008 player, I'd just miss all the content I've grown accustomed to using on a regular basis. In the end, I don't think there'd be a reason to have a W101 Vanilla server as it isn't practical and it wasn't content rich like today's game is.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
There was ranked PVP, but it wasn't set up in the best way.