Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Chess - JUST DO IT

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
This has been suggested a million times, I'm sure, so why not do it already? Chess NEEDS to be a part of Wizard101.

Here's how to implement it.

Make it a housing item, whether it be purchasable for gold or crowns. You walk up to the board, click x, and you can either challenge the computer or wait for a house guest to walk up to the board and challenge you. The board should also include a tutorial on how to play chess, including perhaps mini-lessons on openings and tactics. The computer option should include different difficulty levels, represented by characters such as Malistaire and Merle Ambrose. The playing style of each character computer should also reflect the character's nature in some way, not just in terms of difficulty but in style. Facing and beating the computer should yield some sort of prize, with beating the top level garnering a somewhat substantial prize. You can impose time limits to the computer mode (or at least the prize distributing mode) to minimize the potential for cheating. The same can be done for the pvp mode, which should also give ratings to players.

Kingsisle, if you're reading, I'm a relatively strong chess player and can offer some additional notes to this idea if you're interested. Your players clearly are.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
I love Chess!

I wouldn't mind seeing this being brought out at all.

Possibly even have a quest where we play chess to beat the boss instead of dueling, if we lose the chess match, we duel, if we're victorious in the chess game however, the boss submits and just hand over the reward we were originally after.

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
I like chess, it's a pretty fun game. I feel like it would fit in nicely with the game as a whole.

In Wintertusk, there was this one main quest where you had to play this chess like game against someone, and the text boxes only gave a play-by-play, and just says that you won. If it chess was ever implemented, it would be cool if you could actually play a game of chess or something against him. If you lost, you just keep playing against him until you win.

Thomas Wildstaff, 93

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Wizard's Chess! Yes, yes a 1000x yes

Rather than make it a home item. Make it an area accessible from the Commons. We can play 1 on 1 with other online Wizards. Or play against various ranked levels of faculty and staff (computer difficulty levels).

The "Chess House" would have a place where we can see Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and All-Time rankings.

It would REALLY cool, if the chess games were animated with attacks and battles among the various pieces. Just Like Wizard's Chess

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Look at all these great ideas for how the system could be implemented!

We could even have a leaderboard o:

And some possible rewards for those who are victorious including crowns!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
They need to do a chess game similar to a very old computer game called Archon. It was battle chess, with mythological creatures/people. Each piece has a movement rate, attack rate, attack strength, and HP. It was very possible for the one trying to take the space to win a fight or the one who was defending the space to win (depending on the match-up; some were clearly outclassed). With all the pets we have in this game, if they did that type of thing, and used the attacks from Grub Guardian (for example) it would be an awesome hybrid game and could be a LOT of fun to play!

Explorer
Sep 20, 2017
Strong supporter of this mechanic!

And the ideas above are great too!

For those who are always wanting to learn the game could possibly do so right here o:

Explorer
Sep 20, 2017
Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I get the feeling my view on this may be unpopular but I'll share it anyway

I like the idea of chess being an element of Wiz but definitely feel it should not be linked to questing or even to actual prizes, drops or rewards.

Chess is a complex strategy game that some players are unfamiliar with, especially younger players but not exclusively. Adding chess as part of quests or linked to rewards basically puts an old strategy game within a new strategy game.

Problems I'd anticipate:

1. People who don't enjoy chess would be irritated they need it to progress further.
2. People who have never played chess would be at a huge disadvantage and may be upset by this
3. People will inevitably argue over the settings being 'too easy' or 'too hard'
4. It's far too easy to cheat!

That said, I do think it would be fun to have more housing games added and an interactive chess game as a housing item would be cool, especially if it worked like Wizard Chess in Harry Potter!

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Victoria FireHeart on Apr 9, 2018 wrote:
I get the feeling my view on this may be unpopular but I'll share it anyway

I like the idea of chess being an element of Wiz but definitely feel it should not be linked to questing or even to actual prizes, drops or rewards.

Chess is a complex strategy game that some players are unfamiliar with, especially younger players but not exclusively. Adding chess as part of quests or linked to rewards basically puts an old strategy game within a new strategy game.

Problems I'd anticipate:

1. People who don't enjoy chess would be irritated they need it to progress further.
2. People who have never played chess would be at a huge disadvantage and may be upset by this
3. People will inevitably argue over the settings being 'too easy' or 'too hard'
4. It's far too easy to cheat!

That said, I do think it would be fun to have more housing games added and an interactive chess game as a housing item would be cool, especially if it worked like Wizard Chess in Harry Potter!
Completely agreed that Chess (if implemented) should be an extra-curricular activity (like fishing or gardening). It should not be attached to questing.

S Gs

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Well, I'm of a different opinion.

I would love to see this implemented in the quest line, but not forced upon.

I'll elaborate on what I mean with a scenario.

We enter a boss' chamber.
As you know, each boss usually have some "kind" words to give our fellow wizards.
In this case, these words would be in the form of a short dialogue.
What the boss would basically explain is this; we can either battle or we play chess.
The wizard will then be given the option to choose, Duel/Chess.
However, if you choose to play chess, and you lose, of course, you'll be forced to battle OR play chess again (if he's one of the kinder bosses).
But, if you choose to duel, then you duel. If you lose, then the option will not appear again, you dungeon recall and duel again.

I'm thinking this sort of thing should of course be firstly introduced to the Test, then implemented in Side Quests (as you know; these are optional) before consideration to the main.

I feel as the community, we should be given a chance to not only fully test it out, but share our thoughts on it before it'd ever reach Main Quest Line.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I wonder how long it would be before everyone was getting upset over the cheaters....I bet almost as fast as I can load a chess game on ultra mode and input the wiz chess first move to see what the computer suggests I use as my move

If chess is added to the game it would be smart to keep it as a 'just for fun' activity imo.

If you like fun chess tricks you might like to look up Derren Brown's trick where he played 9 games of chess at once against Grandmasters etc and WON....kinda

PS. I wouldn't cheat against another player but many wouldn't hesitate to...let's not have tears before bedtime!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Well, even if it's a past time activity such as fishing, then I would love to see possible rewards that can be garnered from playing the game, a few ideas were highlighted above.

However, we already have too many taxing activities requiring energy, so I'm thinking that the activity should cost mana instead (of course not a low amount but it will depend on one's level) and can be controlled by a timer such as hatching to prevent possible exploitation.