Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wait....those are my pips

AuthorMessage
Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I really feel like the computer is getting confused. At a point when I have 3 power pips and one regular pip and I cast a spell for 4 pips it takes them all. Shouldn't I have 7 pips before casting? Minus 4 should leave me with 3. I distinctly remember in dueling training that one pip and one power pip = 3 pips. Why does the computer short me all the time?

Alexis Dawnbreaker lvl 43 Storm

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Is the spell you are casting from your school or not? If it is not from your primary school, then you only had four pips to cast. Primary schools are the only ones that recognize power pips

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
The computer is fine. Besides, computers work on programs/commands implemented by you (the user).

Anyways. About your thought.

Power Pips only work for spells that are your school only.

So, since you're , Kraken would cost you 2 Power Pips as opposed to regular four pips.
However, if you're using say Vampire, the spell would consume four pips (regardless if they are Powers or not) since you're not .

The only exception to this rule is the use of school mastery amulets. These amulets allows your Power Pips to count as a school based on the amulet you're wearing. For instance:

If you're wearing say a Mastery Amulet, then the example I used earlier, Vampire would only consume Two Power Pips and not the entire four.

This is also why many wizards choose to employ Mastery Amulets when questing. It brings out the maximum use of your pips.

This is how it works.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
It sounds like you used a spell that was not from your own school, and that you didn't have mastery for. Yellow pips are called "power pips" and are worth two points for casting any spell you have mastery over. That means spells from your own school. To get mastery over a second school, you must have a mastery amulet for that school equipped.

For your storm spells, a "4 pip" spell like Kraken takes two yellow power pips or four white pips. In the scenario you described (three yellow pips and one white one), it would leave you with one yellow and one white pip as leftovers. Then, in the next turn, you'd get either another yellow or another white pip.

But say you wanted to cast a Satyr from the Life school and you didn't have a Life mastery amulet... That spell would take all four of your pips, regardless of their color, because the yellow pips only count as one pip when you don't have mastery.

Basic rule: Yellow pips only count for two in your own school. Otherwise, they count for one in every other school.

In order to effectively use spells from a second school, you need a mastery amulet. They drop for free in some dungeons like Waterworks, or from bosses at level 90-110. Or, you can buy them in the Crown Shop. Sometimes they go on sale. The Life mastery amulet will probably go on sale for 50% off in March, around St. Patrick's day (17 March).

Alia Misthaven

Defender
Dec 26, 2016
Power pips count as a single pip for odd number spells for some reason. However, at level 110 you get the pip conversion stat that will give you a chance to get that pip back!

Explorer
Oct 27, 2017
You see, power pips are only worth 2 pips on a spell from your school. You are lightning, so a power Pip can be used on a 2 pip lightning spell, or a one pip spell from any other school. Hope that helps.
Hunter NightThief 53

Survivor
Jun 30, 2017
Well power pips only affect the element you chose in the beginning test like I am life. I have a power pip and 2 regular pips I can use a four pip move that is life element or I can use a three pip move other element (like Death or Ice).
Power pips will only count as 2 for your character if you use a life element card. Hope I cleared some things up.

Valdus Unicornblade level 30

Survivor
May 29, 2010
Then I'm afraid you misheard him, a normal pip=one pip and a power pip=two pips for a school you have mastery of. That is how it has been for me and every enemy I've fought be it another player or monster and every player and minion I've fought alongside in the almost 8 years now I've played the game.

- Jason Darkstone

Survivor
Mar 21, 2010
That really depends, was the spell you cast a storm spell? If not, then the spell will use all of your pips. Power pips are only for your school spells. All other spells treat them as a normal pip.

Explorer
Jan 02, 2011
Hi there!

Dueling training? Do you mean "Practice PvP" or Diego teaching you how to do stuff?

In Diego's case, he will do whatever needed to help you learn the PvP techniques needed.

In the practice PvP case: You should end up with one Power Pip and one Regular Pip.
Jack Legend

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
colocrys on Jan 4, 2018 wrote:
I really feel like the computer is getting confused. At a point when I have 3 power pips and one regular pip and I cast a spell for 4 pips it takes them all. Shouldn't I have 7 pips before casting? Minus 4 should leave me with 3. I distinctly remember in dueling training that one pip and one power pip = 3 pips. Why does the computer short me all the time?

Alexis Dawnbreaker lvl 43 Storm
Hi there, it sounds like you used an off school spell. Power pips only count as 2 pips for spells that match your school. As a storm wizard if you used a 4 pip spell from any other school besides storm- your 3 power pips and a pip count as 4 pips total.(Your power pips are only one pip each in this case since you used a non storm spell). The only exception to this rule is if you wear a mastery amulet which will allow your power pips to count as 2 pips for the storm school and the school that the mastery amulet specifies.

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
Again I learn something new. That's why I ask the experts.

Alexis Dawnbreaker lvl 46 Storm