Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Am I doing it all wrong?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 22, 2014
So. Lets talk how to train pets. I see so many people with pets with really nice stats. How do they train to get those nice stats though? Am I doing this whole training this wrong? Normally I gather Pixie Stix from Mirror Lake and go to the Pet Pavilion and play Grumpy Gobblers. Then feed my pet Pixie Stix after. That's how pets work right?? Help me out plz

~Natalie lvl 84
~Natalie lvl 36

Survivor
Aug 24, 2013
I hatch and rehatch to get my stats and it DOES get a bit tedious but I have some really great pets. I also hatch my pets back to each other

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Pet talents come from hatching. How you train and what snacks you feed doesn't matter at all to what your pet gets.

Talents, abilities, and stats (attributes) are a mix from the parents, period.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Training and getting nice stats are two different things.

Training is just playing one of the pet games and giving your pet a snack to start leveling it up to teen, adult, etc.

Stats are something the pet comes with or has been hatched to achieve. Stats are numbers, so this could mean pedigree and/or agility, power, strength, etc.

Talents are the skills the pet can manifest when it moves up in training from baby to teen to adult to ancient to epic to mega.

Getting nice stats (numbers) takes a lot of hard work by hatching with other pets with the skills you want. Some of those skills (talents) are a higher pip than others. Some pets have higher stat numbers. Hatch them together and you can get some interesting combinations that will help you out in the long run.

The best game to train your pet if you want to go quicker is the dance game (I think that's what it's called. I forgot). Fail the game, feed your pet a snack, start over.

You can also obtain lots of snacks by gardening. King Parsley has a lot of mid-level snacks (rank 4-5). The best ones overall are Evil Magma Peas (Rank 9 snacks, plus feints, cleanse charm, Pierce, reagents, etc). The second best is Couch Potatoes which can give Rank 9 snacks. Gardening will help level your pet up much faster than farming for pixie sticks.

Hope this helps!

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
If you just want to train a pet, then you're on the right track. However, I'd argue that farming dungeons for pet snacks is exhausting. You might try adding gardening as well. The best plants to garden for high level pet snacks are:

Couch Potatos
Evil Magma Peas
Deadly Helephant Ears
Prickly Bear Cactus
Sword Ferns (drops Hambrosia)

Most of these are Crowns plants but they're well worth the investment in terms of gold and pet snacks you'll have forevermore coming your way.

Getting talents you actually want takes hatching. You will want to start with a solid pet that gives mostly useful talents and has all or at least most of its base stats at 200 or higher.

Your school pets will start you out with strong stats, but you'll need another pet with strong talents to start hatching the perfect pet. Best pets to start mixing talents are dropped in Celestia, including Sea Turtle, Jellyfish, Starfish, Sea Dragon, Crabling, etc. Any pet that comes with a housing bundle is also a really good option, or pets from the Crown Shop, plus some hoard/lore pack pets.

Or, look up a talent that you want on the wiki and try to find one of the pets that give it as a first generation talent. Then, get TWO of that pet. You want to train both pure pets to adult, then hatch. Start working with the hatchlings only and leave the two pure parents alone in case you ever need to start over.

Keep track of all your hatches, using screen shots or at least jotting it all down in a notebook. You'll learn how to predict which talents made it through (and which didn't!).

Here's a really helpful guide to get you started:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?193525-The-beginners%92-guide-to-the-pursuit-of-perfect-pet

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Aug 06, 2015
You're exactly right, that's how it works but people get pets with good stats by selective breeding. They only breed with favorable traits/talents that they want. On a side note I would recommend gardening couch potatoes or evil magma peas to get more mega snacks!

Wolf 120
Wolf 120
Wolf 115