Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mana Burn description question

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Was Mana Burn supposed to be an Xpip spell originally? The reason I ask is because the description on the card says this:

"Target takes 80 damage per pip and loses 3 pips"

However, it costs 5 pips. The damage amount is known. Wouldnt it make more sense to say:

"Target takes 400 damage and loses 3 pips" ??

After all, that's what it does. The "80 damage per pip" language implies that you could use any amount of pips, but the cost is specific; it costs 5 pips. hence my curiosity

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
dayerider on Jun 9, 2017 wrote:
Was Mana Burn supposed to be an Xpip spell originally? The reason I ask is because the description on the card says this:

However, it costs 5 pips. The damage amount is known. Wouldnt it make more sense to say:

After all, that's what it does. The "80 damage per pip" language implies that you could use any amount of pips, but the cost is specific; it costs 5 pips. hence my curiosity
i've wondered the same myself for years; i never did avalon in test and i don't work for ki, so i'm not sure if or not it was originally designed as an x spell (though the description definitely hints at it).

-von

Survivor
May 10, 2014
dayerider on Jun 9, 2017 wrote:

The wording of the spell may be a bit hard to understand, but I'm pretty sure it means it'll deal 80 points of damage per the pip of the target, so if your opponent had 6 pips it would deal 480 damage, not including any buffs, and remove 3 pips, leaving them with 3 pips.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Xelimious on Jun 10, 2017 wrote:
The wording of the spell may be a bit hard to understand, but I'm pretty sure it means it'll deal 80 points of damage per the pip of the target, so if your opponent had 6 pips it would deal 480 damage, not including any buffs, and remove 3 pips, leaving them with 3 pips.
You are correct, the damage is per pip of the opponent, or who you are casting it on.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I will FREELY admit that I never really paid attention to the damage it was inflicting. If you are correct, then it's almost a reverse Xpip spell, or more of an "inside out" Xpip spell. I never thought to test the damage it inflicted, because honestly, I JUST got the spell on my balance, and this is my only balance wizard I've ever played. Im going to have to test this out now. Off to my testing ground; unicorn way lol

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
so, I went to Unicorn Way to test it on a Lost Soul. I removed all my gear that boosted damage so I'd get a true damage value. He had 2 pips, and I had 5. His damage was 160 (2 pips x 80 dmg/pip), which tells me that your theory is correct, and that it is a reverse xpip spell. That sure is in interesting concept for sure. I wonder why they didnt do more of them other than the confusion on how it works.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Xelimious has it right: the damage dealt depends on how many pips the target has, not how many you have. The more pips they have, the more damage they receive.

I don't see it used much in the game but in PVP it's a wicked spell.

Alia Misthaven

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Correct; the 'x' applies to the target; the more pips they have, higher the damage dealt.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2015
This spell costs the caster five pips, yet the damage depends on how much pips the opponent has, lets say the caster had 5 pips and the opponent had 8 the damage will be based on the 8 pips the opponent has (8×80=640) and of course the opponent loses three pips.

Hope I made a clear Image of how mana burn works.

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
The damage is based on the amount of pips the target has.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
I have a level86 balance and this spell (mana burn) can be dangerous! however I have noticed two things: need to watch your opponent's pips and how many build up before he throws the "whopper" spell on you. Now two things to consider: the best time to use this card is if you are FIRST to hit....if not then when YOUR turn comes to select your spell, you are one turn behind.....you have to guess and keep fingers crossed that your opponent will have the same amount of pips when your spell finally gets around to him....the majority of the time I don't use mana burn unless i am first to hit.....its a great spell to use!!!Gabrielle Ravenwalker/Balance