Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

WILD BOLT

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 15, 2012
Hey

I was doing some research on Wild Bolt, and I saw a post back from 2011 by Falmea saying that it was "Exactly 33.3% chance" for each damage probability.

So being an engineer and mildly obsessed with numbers, I decided to do a quick observational study and spent the last two hours casting 51 Wild Bolts. My results were as follows:

10s: 13x - 26.5%
100s: 24x - 48.9%
1000s:12x - 24.4%

Fizzles: 2x - 95.9% Accuracy

Total Bolts: 49x
Total Casts: 51x

Now I didn't expect the numbers to come out to perfect 3rds, but the trends were remarkably stable throughout, accuracy as well (I'm @92%).

So i'm wondering, were the chances changed to something like a 25% 50% 25%? instead of 33.3% 33.3% 33.%?
That post from Falmea was 11 years ago so I figure maybe there was an update that I missed during my research. I also considered (but highly doubt) that maybe the enemies have an effect on it? They were all rank 10 Greyhorn Mercenaries (Moon) from Zafaria.

I only really got into it a few months ago but I gotta say, I love how particular and intricate the game is mechanics wise, very engaging.

Thanks, any insights or theories are appreciated.

~Trevor
Lvl 66 Diviner

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I wonder if the TC/Item card versions were different than the original spell. For it to be 2 pips for DPP sake it makes sense to prefer that it hits that 100 range more often. I can also see that it might have just silently been updated in the last 10 years. For a while before the Insane Bolt Changes. Insane Bolt was a better option for most Storm Wizards.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
49 isn't a very large sample size. It's been a while since my AP stats course, but you only scored 7.67 more middle-range wild bolts than expected, so that doesn't sound like major variation.

Explorer
Oct 30, 2020
The spell itself needs a major over haul considering how underwhelming it can be when it hits for 10 or 100 and too overpowered hitting for 1000 for 2 pips. Perhaps changing it into an aoe for 3 pips that does more damage base on how many enemies is present could be better. Insane bolt is already better to rely on than wild bolt.

Survivor
Nov 27, 2010
I think wild bolt is good as it is. You’re wasting a turn on doing nothing, and it takes deck space. It’s really just a burden really.