Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is Moon Damage?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
Hello! I am getting back into the game after taking a break for....a while. I have a death wizard and last time I played when you used the spell sacrifice it would do 250 death damage to yourself. Now after reading up a bit and playing the game again it seems that now it does 250 moon damage to yourself. So what exactly is moon damage? I know there is a moon school (when they started introducing that is about when I took a break from the game, so a while ago) but I don't understand how to get that spell to take moon damage instead of taking damage to myself? If that makes any sense. I assumed maybe I need to start learning moon school spells or something. Any help is appreciated!

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
I think I understand what you are saying, so I'll try and explain the best I can.

The spell's school uses the player's offensive stats before the actual damage of the school. A good example of this is Hydra: it does , , and damage however since it's a spell, your outgoing damage, accuracy, pierce, and critical rating are used.

This is what happens for the damage on Sacrifice. It is a spell, so your wizard's offensive stats will affect the damage.

This along with another spell (don't want to spoil if you don't know yet) were changed from damage to damage because wizards could not use them without removing all of their stacked Death charms. So that trade off was damage, which cannot be specifically defended against, in order to keep our stacked Death charms.

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
Hi! Welcome back. This change was made to sacrifice, empower, and dark pact (the spells that do self-damage). The change was made to deal moon damage instead of Death damage for a couple reasons. First of all, it only activates universal damage and pierce buffs, rather than Death ones (it reached the point where sacrifice dealt more damage than it healed), and no longer triggers Deathblades, meaning those spells can be used to break a weakness when Deathblades are already stacked.