Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Team up advice?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 05, 2021
So today I was farming my eleventh run of Olympus for the Zeus boots. (Note: I started the game in 2014, got to Celestia, my membership expired, and I'm getting back into it now as a fresh start from scratch.) I'm a level 42 fire wizard and I just got Helephant. So I was just joining team ups for Olympus in the kiosk. This particular run, there was a magus sorcerer and diviner and a level 70 necromancer.

For the first fight he started with three pips, me four. Naturally on that turn I bladed myself. Next turn I have Phoenix cued up. He was passing, and told everyone else to pass, and got mad when I cast a spell. I didn't use his traps or anything, I was just chipping away at the minions. I knew he'd cast scarecrow when he had enough pips, but I don't play this game to be a bystander.

Eventually everyone else left the dungeon and left me to die from Ares. He said I was childish, and I told him he could cast whatever he wanted on his turn, and I'd cast whatever I want on my turn. Am I wrong?

Survivor
May 28, 2011
Vanesserie on Sep 19, 2021 wrote:
So today I was farming my eleventh run of Olympus for the Zeus boots. (Note: I started the game in 2014, got to Celestia, my membership expired, and I'm getting back into it now as a fresh start from scratch.) I'm a level 42 fire wizard and I just got Helephant. So I was just joining team ups for Olympus in the kiosk. This particular run, there was a magus sorcerer and diviner and a level 70 necromancer.

For the first fight he started with three pips, me four. Naturally on that turn I bladed myself. Next turn I have Phoenix cued up. He was passing, and told everyone else to pass, and got mad when I cast a spell. I didn't use his traps or anything, I was just chipping away at the minions. I knew he'd cast scarecrow when he had enough pips, but I don't play this game to be a bystander.

Eventually everyone else left the dungeon and left me to die from Ares. He said I was childish, and I told him he could cast whatever he wanted on his turn, and I'd cast whatever I want on my turn. Am I wrong?
I don't think you did anything wrong. Often times, some high level wizards that que up for a lower leveled dungeon like to spam a big aoe hit in order to speed run through. While this may be okay with some low leveled wizards, others may not be fine with it and wish to actually play through the dungeon as it was intended for the corresponding level(s). I have had my fair share of being on both sides, and usually if I'm playing on one of my higher leveled wizards I'll ask beforehand if the low leveled wizards I'm with are okay with speeding through. Some are and some aren't. And that's fine! Unfortunately not everyone will think the same way and from the sound of it that necromancer did not want to be a team player. The way he acted was uncalled for and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Hopefully you will have a better one the next time you use the team up feature!

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
You absolutely didn't do anything wrong. It sounds like the Death wanted to use Scarecrow, and got mad that it wouldn't feel as powerful to him if you had already killed one of the minions. People leaving team-up is a problem all across the game, and I'm sorry to hear that they left you behind.

If that Death wanted to provide super fast speed runs on lower level content, he should have asked for permission.... and used Storm or Fire to use Tempest or Meteor, or gotten a spell like Deer Knight or Ship of Fools, so you aren't asked to pass and wait around for him to feel super cool.

Team-Up Etiquette is not a priority for a lot of players, unfortunately... but when it is, then it's super fun. Keep at it!

Survivor
Jun 15, 2010
Vanesserie on Sep 19, 2021 wrote:

Unfortunately, this happens a lot in teamup. My wizard is almost max, and I've been farming mirror lake for pet snacks. Yes, I do agree to some extent that it can be annoying if the dungeon takes too long if no one is doing what they're supposed to, but I never feel the need to be toxic; rather, I just politely inform my teammates if there's cheats that they're not following.

My tactic as an ice in mirror lake is to spam enchanted blizzard or barrage, so if everyone else is doing the same we can quickly one-shot the entire dungeon. This also works for the spectral elephant guardian, because it's essentially the same even if I decide to steal ward, since most team-up teams aren't that coordinated to allow me to steal ward, blade up the hitter, and then one-shot them all in one turn. Sadly, we got a toxic person who was severely toxic towards the storm who decided to iron sultan all four enemies instead of squall, and then attacked me by saying that I was a bad teammate for being an "ice that wants to prove they can hit every turn." Am I in the wrong for doing blizzard spam, almost the same as a fire who chooses to meteor spam? It's ultimately worked out almost every run for me, but for some reason this person decided to belittle us and go on to say that "no one ever knows how to do this dungeon correctly."

Just remember to ignore and move on whenever you encounter players like these, and report if they're ever harassing you.

Defender
May 23, 2009
I've been farming Gladiator on Mount Olympus for Amber as my storm lately. I don't mind helping others so I enter the dungeon on a busier realm on purpose. Often, I get a level 30 ish who joins the sigil with me. I'm always more than happy to help them clear the dungeon. Sometimes, I've surprised others by asking "Do you want to hit?" leading to comments like "one of the nicest storm I ever met". It helps to be nice at times

With that being said, whenever I join a team-up, if I'm over-leveled or farming, I usually don't say anything. Mostly because we probably have never spoken before. If someone starts chatting and I've got the first impression that you might be friendly and nice, I don't mind chatting with you back.

If I join a team-up to complete a quest, I will likely have a pre-determined setup (such gear and deck) in accordance to my role in a team. However, if someone else has the same role, I will adjust at what the team might need. If I'm in a team with someone toxic, I will leave quietly.

How I roll:

1) Always try to work with your team first. Be approachable.
2) As long as people aren't acting negative, try to stay with your team.
3) If someone is being toxic, leave quietly without saying anything.
4) It is rewarding to help others. You can create your own situation to help like I did.

140 140 122 120 102 81

Squire
Apr 18, 2013
You can ignore such a person or double down and stand your ground. Could also inquire for what reason do they want you to pass? Like, do they know something about that particular battle in which you hitting would hinder the team? I would find their name in the text chat, right click them, and ask where they went and if they're coming back. That will give them a chance to explain their actions so we don't jump to the wrong conclusion.

I have an idea I proposed long ago that would help with a place like the Hades dungeon (is this the same place you were in?). My idea was called 'Dungeon Chat'. It technically has been implemented but KI takes ideas and breaks them up to include them into the game a bit unrecognizable to the one who thought it up. You might recognize dungeon chat if you play Beastmoon. Dungeon chat may or may not have helped you communicate with your team-up players more easily.

How it would work is:
When 2 or more players are in a dungeon together they would instantly be chatting via a separate chat (same as we do with chat channel or group or house chat). You would be able to use this chat to click on those other players. Every text sent would be seen by everyone in the dungeon, no matter how far apart they are. Once a player leaves the dungeon, dungeon chat will still exist until the dungeon is complete or their dungeon recall expires. This would help in case someone leaves early or accidentally, because sometimes people think a dungeon is over before it is. Dungeon Chat would also allow us to teleport to the others in the dungeon with us.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2012
You're def not wrong for doing what you want! Personally I see why higher level wizards might have gripes with low level wizards when they help them farm, but honestly I havent had any lash out like the one you described. Makes me feel bad cause no wiz should have to tolerate a higher level wiz's feelings when they get out of hand. Hopefully when you hit waterworks, I just did with my life eyyy, you wont have the same problems!

Survivor
Jul 15, 2015
You are definitely not in the wrong! This game allows everyone to do what they want to do, to some extent of course. I've seen countless situations where the highest level wizard in the dungeon I'm doing automatically goes for the boss and doesn't let anyone else have a hit, and I've also seen instances where higher level wizards speed right through the dungeon. While speeding through can be nice sometimes especially when the dungeon is taking super long, but to me it's also annoying sometimes. I like to be a part of the experience, even if that is just casting blades or shields. My main wizard is an ice so I'm used to not being the hitter in the group, and I am guilty of being that wizard who does speed right through a dungeon with the low level wizards (I'm not super proud of it just wanted my moment I guess). I feel like the team-up kiosk is full of arrogant wizards who just want to be the biggest and the best and they think that just because they're the highest level player in the dungeon that they're hot stuff and everyone needs to put them on a pedestal kinda thing. They forget that the entire idea behind the team-up kiosk is to defeat the in-game enemies as a team. I know not everyone is like this but I've run into a lot of people who are. Moral of my message is that you're not in the wrong, you just happened to run into someone who wanted to be the most powerful wizard there and got mad that you hindered their plan because you wanted to participate.