Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Better LGBT Support

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2011
I'm glad they added the emojis but personally when they hid it behind a paywall it was a slap in the face. I wish that we can change our names and genders to support trans and nonbinary people and we uncensor LGBT words without paywalls. I would also enjoy more representation. Maybe Dalia Famela can be the first? The fire school palette with the reds and pinks are similiar to the lesbian flag.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
So it's not "technically" behind a paywall it's behind level 20. Also it's all emoji's isn't it or is it just the advanced ones? There was a lot of hate and inappropriateness going around on Reddit/Twitter when they were introduced and why they made that distinction. I get that the 20 somethings want this, but that sort of behavior on Twitter is why I thought that they shouldn't be included in the first place.... Moral of the story: some people aren't responsible enough to handle things appropriately so it had to be removed.

Survivor
Feb 09, 2018
Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
I 100% agree we should remove the censor on LGBT-related words, even if it's just for open chat. The common claim I've seen on here in the past is that they want to censor LGBT-related words due to their "political nature," which I think is clearly just a cover-up for some other issue considering we can literally say Democrat & Republican... which is explicitly political, unlike stating your sexuality. First of all, sexuality & gender identity =/= political statements, but even if they did, y'all can't just selectively decide what portions of politics are okay and what aren't. Either hide everything or allow everything, because the way it is right now sure seems like it's attacking us LGBT folks. I appreciate addition of pride emojis and the rephrasing of portions of the character creation process -- we see these things and we appreciate them! And, we have been asking for a lot of these other things (uncensoring LGBT-related words, gender/name changes, more gender neutral options, some LGBT characters) for a long time, and they are constantly either ignored or shut down. I know y'all have to read my post in order to approve it, so I'm just going to straight up ask for a response here: do you have plans to implement any of these requests in the near future, and if not, why?

Survivor
Apr 12, 2021
That's good idea for change gender and change name but honeslty I didn't want trans or nonbiriniy get bullied from in the commons or other area, I could be Overworries about them.

I would love to change girls name there is something new girls name that i will pick i hope they will update in the future soon

or they can just add new realm for lgbtq people only?

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
In my first post, I directly asked y'all over at KI whether you have plans to implement any of these requests in the near future. I know you guys saw my question because you have to read my post in order to approve it. It's been 11 days now and nobody from KI has yet to respond to my direct question. It's a simple question, and would take less than 5 minutes to answer. All I'm asking for is some kind of acknowledgement that y'all are hearing us and considering our concerns, because it sure feels a lot like screaming into the void when you guys very intentionally choose to ignore direct questions...

Administrator
Hi everyone!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Our first priority is to make sure that we are providing a safe space for all players.

I think it would be beneficial to hear Professor Falmea(our Game Director) speak on the situation.

If you would like, you can check out the recent KI Live here: KI Live

If you want to jump ahead, the specific topics will be at these time stamps:

16:00 to 20:00: Talks about the new emojis along with the reporting system.

1:14:25 to 1:15:40: Talks about gender and name changes as well as pink and burnt orange being available to everyone.

I want you all to know that your voices are heard, and we want to do everything we can to help support the LGBTQ+ community. We want to create a safe space where everyone can have a place to have fun, without having to worry about those people who may have other intentions.

I hope this helped to shed some light on these specific topics. Thank you all again!

Administrator
M SilverCollar on Aug 19, 2021 wrote:
In my first post, I directly asked y'all over at KI whether you have plans to implement any of these requests in the near future. I know you guys saw my question because you have to read my post in order to approve it. It's been 11 days now and nobody from KI has yet to respond to my direct question. It's a simple question, and would take less than 5 minutes to answer. All I'm asking for is some kind of acknowledgement that y'all are hearing us and considering our concerns, because it sure feels a lot like screaming into the void when you guys very intentionally choose to ignore direct questions...
Hi M SilverCollar!

I do realize this took time to respond to. I wanted to be sure that what I said was correct. I didn't want to promise anything that would ultimately not come to fruition. I hope you can understand that. We all do appreciate the posts that are being made and just want to make sure they are each looked at and thoroughly reviewed before making a response. Thank you.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2009
WoodRainbow on Aug 11, 2021 wrote:
That's good idea for change gender and change name but honeslty I didn't want trans or nonbiriniy get bullied from in the commons or other area, I could be Overworries about them.

I would love to change girls name there is something new girls name that i will pick i hope they will update in the future soon

or they can just add new realm for lgbtq people only?
Hey there - so, trans player here.
It's nice to hear the concern for us, but I'm not sure how a name and gender change option would get us bullied. Presuming that the option would be implemented through something like the magic mirror or a potion I'm guessing the options in effect would be like changing character gender in the opening character designer and not something everyone would be inherently aware of.
The only people I could imagine having immediate awareness of the change would be people on the person's friend's list, and being that they're friends I wouldn't assume too much risk there.

In other words, I'm thinking the process wouldn't be too much of a risk for bullying and if someone does say something mean there's always the report and block options. :)

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
Ideas086 on Aug 6, 2021 wrote:
I'm glad they added the emojis but personally when they hid it behind a paywall it was a slap in the face. I wish that we can change our names and genders to support trans and nonbinary people and we uncensor LGBT words without paywalls. I would also enjoy more representation. Maybe Dalia Famela can be the first? The fire school palette with the reds and pinks are similiar to the lesbian flag.
I completely agree with all of this. Especially as a trans person, being able to change my old main's name and gender would be amazing. LGBT representation in general would be pretty cool, and it's pretty ridiculous at this point that we still can't openly say words like "gay" and "lesbian".