Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Self-leveling Crowns-only Gear

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 14, 2020
Sometimes players receive crowns-only gear from quests, bosses, packs, or rewards.

When that gear is acquired early-on, at very low levels in particular, it often ends up being sold or thrown away. This removes a lot of the reward you feel for acquiring such a rare piece of gear.

To fix this, perhaps some Crowns-only equip-able items (but not *necessarily* all) could be made self-leveling.

Such gear could have the level of the gear match the level of the player, rounded down to the nearest multiple of 10.

A level 13 character who equipped a self-leveling Cowl would have that gear become Level 10 once equipped. All stats would be adjusted.

Many items in the game already come with multiple "tiers" of stats, according to the level.

This would also incentivize players to keep their crowns-only gear, and would make receiving those rewards from farming more worthwhile. And would encourage players to actually want to buy gear from the Crown store, because now they wouldn't have to be worried their crowns-only gear would become irrelevant once the level cap is raised.

To ensure that all players feel that this doesn't become pay-to-win, all Self-leveling Crowns-only gear could also appear in the world through regular bosses. Purchases would just make the process of acquiring it happen instantly. (But no piece of gear should take more than 5 hours of non-stop farming, on average, per item.)

Survivor
Aug 31, 2014
I agree that having variable leveled crowns gear self-level itself to match the wizard holding it would greatly incentivize both farming and buying this type of gear, but there might be issues with trading it to wizards lower or higher level than the one who acquired it. As much as I'd like Jade gear to level with you once they add a higher leveled version I'd still like to transfer it between my wizards that might only be level 100 to help with farming. If they were to implement this in a way that allows the gear to dynamically level both up and down so you can trade it with your lower leveled wizards and back I'm all for it

Survivor
May 14, 2020
Yes, I mean dynamic level gear that adjusts all of its stats according to the character equipping the item.

In other words, if you trade between a high level character and a lower-level character, your lower-level character would have that equipment "down-stat" to that character's level.

There might be some stats which might not work on lower levels for some self-leveling gear. For example, a wand with May Cast "Shatter" could appear in the item's statistics at all times (to let you know how valuable that May Cast is), but the item might indicate "May Cast Requirements: Minimum Level 40".

This way, certain features of an item could be somewhat restricted to prevent imbalance.

Some stats might also be unavailable. For example, Shadow Rating, or Critical Rating. This would also help with PVP, as it would allow gear sets to become much more easy to swap between characters. Making experimental builds easier. And making farming more valuable and desirable. Plus, better rewards for farming and grinding makes people actually want to spend more time in game.