Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Major Bug in Critical and Block Chance

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 19, 2011
On my level 70 ice wizard, who has 140 crit rating, I did several (over 15) battles against mobs with 0 block rating. At least, I believe they have 0 block rating because the UI said that I have 70% chance to crit (which is supposedly capped by my level), 2.00 crit multiplier, and the enemies have 0% chance to block. These mobs were in zafaria, in baobab market and stone town.

Across all of these battles, I got a critical on every single spell I cast. If my crit chance were actually 70%, then the chance of this happening would be less than 1 in 7 thousand.

Furthermore, the mobs seemed to be blocking about 30% of the criticals on hits directed at them. Note: You still haven't fixed the visual bug where it doesn't show "critical blocked". I know they blocked because I calculated how much damage I do. Sometimes I would do double the damage to one enemy compared to the other.

After the first few battles, I started to collect some data to make sure I new exactly what was happening. In my next 10 battles, I cast blizzard 10 times and snow serpent 5 times. As usual, I got a critical on all 15 of these spells. Over the 25 times that an enemy was hit by one of my spells (blizzard hits 2 enemies), they blocked 7 times, for an estimated block chance of 7/25. This is 28%, which is pretty close to 30%.

I believe that what is happening is the following:

Instead of my crit chance being capped by my level (as indicated by the UI), the enemies have a free block chance that is equal to how many levels I am away from 100.

Note: This bug is not new in test realm. This fits exactly with my experiences while questing my ice wizard in live realm, as well as my storm wizard a bit before that. I am reporting it now because I previously thought it was intentional. I am now confident that it is a bug because it doesn't agree with what the UI is telling us.

Another note: This issue illustrates the importance of showing players their stats and explaining what the stats are supposed to do. If we had the UI when the critical changes were made in the Fall 2020 test realm, then this bug would not have been in the game for several months. It's great that we finally have a UI for critical, and I'd like to see some sort of UI for potential changes to how damage and resist will work.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
Hi Mil46,

I think what you, and many others, are experiencing is an oversight in terms of how the critical system works, especially when it comes to AoE spells. When you critical an AoE spell, it means that you have successfully crit on at least one enemy. By successfully critting on at least one enemy, at least one enemy has the chance to block the critical hit or take more damage from the critical. For the enemies you do not crit on, a critical block animation does not show up because those enemies were never crit on in the first place. The same goes for if an enemy criticals an AoE spell. When an enemy criticals an AoE, it means they have crit on at least one of the wizards on your team. So, then, at least one person on your team has the chance to block the critical hit or take more damage from the critical. If no block animation shows up, either you were never crit on in the first place or you did not block the critical hit. Hope this makes sense...I know it can be very confusing! It’s more straightforward with single target spells. However, it is much more complex when you talk about critting an AoE.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2011
I don't think this is correct. Against enemies with 0% block, I should not be able to crit against one of them but not the other.

If I have 70% chance to crit and the enemies have 0% chance to block, then I should crit my AoE spell 70% of the time, and whenever I do crit the spell, none of the enemies should block.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Mil46 on Apr 19, 2021 wrote:
I don't think this is correct. Against enemies with 0% block, I should not be able to crit against one of them but not the other.

If I have 70% chance to crit and the enemies have 0% chance to block, then I should crit my AoE spell 70% of the time, and whenever I do crit the spell, none of the enemies should block.
I agree Mil46.

Even if how twinabc describes it is accurate that doesn't make sense and it shouldn't be that way. An AOE spell should Critical and then each enemy can see if it blocks against them. It makes it look like a glitch/bug when it says that my spell critical hit and then doesn't and there is no visual indication that this is the case. With the block there is the visual block animation so you know that it didn't work against them. If the Block Animation doesn't go off, then the spell should have Critical hit against the enemy.

See this thread for a similar issue.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2011
I'm not able to see the thread you linked :(

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
exp613 on Apr 19, 2021 wrote:
I agree Mil46.

Even if how twinabc describes it is accurate that doesn't make sense and it shouldn't be that way. An AOE spell should Critical and then each enemy can see if it blocks against them. It makes it look like a glitch/bug when it says that my spell critical hit and then doesn't and there is no visual indication that this is the case. With the block there is the visual block animation so you know that it didn't work against them. If the Block Animation doesn't go off, then the spell should have Critical hit against the enemy.

See this thread for a similar issue.
The link you provided just goes to a white screen buddy. Can you re-link the post for us please?

Survivor
Dec 19, 2011
A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Kimberly Mistheart on Apr 28, 2021 wrote:
The link you provided just goes to a white screen buddy. Can you re-link the post for us please?
It's because the link was in the Test Realm section. Which disappears once Test Realm hits live Realm
So no sadly, I can't link it.