Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Inconsistent AOE Damage

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
Hi, I don't know if this has been reported already, or if it's somehow an intended feature, so I apologize if this is unnecessary.

I have been playing through Khrysalis Part 2, and I've noticed that sometimes when I cast a spell that attacks all enemies, it does not give them all equal damage. Each enemy may be the exact same in a fight, without differing resistances, shields or traps, but they still take different amounts of damage. For example, before posting this I was fighting Death Stalkers in the Kondha Desert and cast Tempest. Neither of them had shields, the Fortify spell, extra traps, or blocked the critical, but one took roughly 3,000 damage, while the other took roughly 1,900. This sort of thing has also occurred in boss fights, with minions sometimes taking a different amount of damage than the boss despite there being no differences in resistance, or at least there is no "Resist" or "Pierced!" indicator.

If this information is relevant, the following is a few specifics about what I've been doing; I don't know if any of this is important, but I feel like it should be stated.

* Each attack has been an unblocked critical hit
* For most fights, I have had a stat-boosting follower, such as Dyvim Whitehart, who gives a 50% attack bonus

* Every AOE attack has been Tempest; I haven't been using others enough to know if this happens with other AOE spells
* I don't know if this happens in other worlds or within Khrysalis Part 1 areas, as I haven't been doing much outside of these areas lately; However, I did not notice this before moving onto Part 2 recently

Thanks for looking at this! I hope that this can be resolved, or that someone corrects me and it isn't actually a bug.

Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
Just a quick update, I've noticed that this has also been happening in other worlds and with other spells. Specifically, I have been helping someone progress through Arc 2 and have noticed that the same things described above have happened with their Scarecrow. I don't want to make any definitive statements, but it almost looks like their critical hits just don't end up applying to a certain enemy, despite them not blocking the crit.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
Hi Daniel Ash Shield,

I think what you are experiencing is an oversight in terms of how the new critical system works. It’s pretty straightforward with single target spells, but it is much more complex with AoE spells. I explain it in Mil46’s post here in the forums, but basically critting an AoE is not an all or none situation anymore. See my comment under his post for further explanation!