Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bitter Winter Jewel / Ice-Giver talent conflict

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 25, 2020
Hi there,

I managed to get the Bitter Winter jewel as part of the most recent winter scroll of fortune event. Since it's a great jewel, I've been putting quite a lot of energy towards raising the perfect pet to affix it to.

With the pet at full stats (everything maxed out), the jewel gives 6% ice damage and the angry snowpig spell, however I can't affix it to the pet because it says "Your pet already has this talent".

The pet does have the skill Ice-Giver, which is also 6% ice damage, which is why I assume the conflict is with this talent.

The other skills are Pain-Giver (6% universal damage), Ice-Dealer (9% ice damage), Spell-Proof and Spell-Defying (10% and 5% universal resistance, respectively).

If someone could look into whether this is intentional or not, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
I do think it's intentional, but I also think it's something they could look into changing. Normally you can't socket a jewel with a talent a pet already has. And likewise if your pet manifests a talent that was already being given by a socketed jewel then the jewel's talent or talents get "canceled out" and no longer give any benefit, meaning you will have to manually shatter/remove it.

I had a similar issue when I had a pet with the Lifesaver Jade socketed a few years back. The Lifesaver Jade gives Healer (+4% outgoing healing) and Happy Accident (May cast Pigsie) together on a single jewel. I socketed this jewel onto the pet at ancient, but when the pet naturally manifested Healer at a later stage both the Healer and Happy Accident talents given by the jewel were canceled out so I had to remove it. I was likewise unable to re-socket that same jewel because the pet already had the Healer talent at that point.

So I think the Bitter Winter Sapphire is treated as being an Ice-giver jewel even though it gives more than just Ice-giver. Since your pet already has the talent you can't socket it anymore. And if you had it socketed before your pet had manifested Ice-giver then both the talents given by the Bitter Winter Sapphire would have been cancelled out once your pet naturally manifested Ice-giver.

Since Kroger/SoF jewels give two talents it would be nice if you could still socket them on pets that already have one of the talents, have the duplicate talent cancelled out, but allow you to still use the non-duplicate talent.