Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What pets should I train/keep?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 29, 2020
I'm rather new to the game, came back after a decade hiatus, am I'm wondering what pet I should keep. I have a total of 9 pets, some from packs and some from boss drops and 1 from questing. I don't know how pets work in the game, newer did before and not now. I have looked up guide on train my pets, but all they go into is how to train your pet to Mega and what are the most efficient ways to. I'm not looking for that. I'm wanting to know which pet to keep/train and how to spot a good vs bad pet in the future, ie I want to know Pets101 and Pet Training 101. Can anyone fill me in on how pets work, the mechanics, and what the different number of a pet means. I have read FinalBastion's article "A Beginner’s Guide to Wizard101 Pets" but it doesn't answer many of my question. Is someone on this forum willing to take me through the steps of Pet101?

My pets - https://imgur.com/gallery/HzTP7mq

Pls give feedback on what pets to keep/train. I'm also stock piling all my snacks at this point in preparation for someone to walk me through Pet101

Survivor
Aug 22, 2010
Pets largely depend on both cards (the body) and talents (what stat boosts they provide). People generally decide what body they want, and they try to breed on the talents that they're looking for.

If you want to use a pet that you already have, I'd recommend choosing one that has a card you like using, so that you have an immediate bonus to your deck. Otherwise, I'd take a look at this guide to choosing a pet to start out with. Most of them can be found and bred with in the hatchmaking kiosk, which costs gold but is fairly convenient.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Welcome to the Spiral and the Forums!

There are several guides on official wizard101 fansites that provide fantastic data on pets.

I suggest pursing these links and reading them.

Beginner's Guide to Pets [Final Bastion]

https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/w101-pet-guides/beginners-guide-wizard101-pets/

Pet Morphing

https://finalbastion.com/pirate101-guides/p101-pet-guides/pirate101-morphing-system-the-odds/

Hatching Making Explained;

https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/w101-pet-guides/hatchmaking-explained/

Mega Snacks [Absolutely necessary for constant pet training]

https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/w101-pet-guides/debunking-popular-beliefs-the-economy-behind-mega-snack-plants/

All those guides are from the one fansite [Final Bastion].

I encourage you to read all the data explained by the FB team. Copy link and paste in web browser.

Delver
Jun 10, 2012
Hi,
So first:
what is your school?

Now, good pet are rarely first generation pet so any pet can be the good choice the idea is to choose which pet fit the best for you in term of look and spell given.
Then train it to adult and hatch with a pet with the talents you want.
That will fail so 2 choice
-you get the same pet so you apply the same strat until you get all wanted talent
-you get another pet so you choose to continue with this new pet or you retry with the first one.

That could be very long so don't lose hope

The pedigree (numbers) is the total value of all talent that can be unlocked (1=common/2=uncommon/3=rare/4=ultra rare/5=epic) it go from 20 to 100.

Pet can help you by many way they can give stats bonuses/exclusive spells/cast spell to help you in fight/give you bonus content from chests/cast spells at your demand directly after you for happiness or give to themselves bonus stats to maybe increase bonus given by a stat talent.

For hatching you have the kiosk that allow you to hatch with a big diversity of pet or the purreau labs to hatch 2 of your own pet or with another plyer directly

The lab give to both an egg while the kiosk give to the other an hatch pepper

Hatch pepper is used for recipe given by the dr

That all

Hope this help

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
My favorite pet is the Enchanted Armament. This is because it grants sharpen blade item cards. These are sun (astral) spells granted by your pet, which modify a blade to increase it's bonus 10%. 10% doesn't matter a lot, the big deal is the modified blades stack with regular blades. So if you know your school blade and the balance tri-blade your school can use, two of these sharpen blade item cards will effectively give you two more blades to stack. which is a BIG help defeating high hit point bosses.

And the best part is any wizard can use sharpen blade regardless of school, so if you tire of your wizard and want to play another school, you can pass the pet to another wizard on the same account without having to go to all the trouble of developing a new pet.

Enchanted Armament gives one sharpen blade card when hatched, a second when trained to ancient, and a third when trained to mega. Training to mega is an awful slog, but in my opinion training to ancient to get a second sharpen blade is very worthwhile.

You can acquire a new Enchanted Armament by defeating Gladiator Dimachaerus in Mount Olympus. Or you can just hatch with someone who already has one, of course. Pet hatching is a complex topic I don't want to go into here. But if you want more detail ask another question about it on the forum.