Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Question to Blind Mew/The Curator

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 22, 2010
So in the Great Chasm in Dragonspyre, Edrick Scatterglow tells you that he has discovered a crystal which "stores" and "preserves" different states of time. So you eventually use the crystal to visit Dragonspyre of the past to obtain a copy of the vault key. You go back to the present and open the vault, easy enough. Vasek Ashweaver however is there and doesn't recognize you (which is correct). You beat him in a duel and he says he suddenly remembers you, saying you helped "save the portal stones." How is this possible? The narrator said in the game that the crystals can give someone in contact or affected by them visions (which may not be entirely accurate) of the past, present, and future. I think Vasek had received the vision of you helping him (which had not really happened) after his defeat, as I assume the crystals are only capable of allowing one to visit the past, but not necessarily travelling through time. Can my prediction seem logical or true? Is it entirely up to the player's decision what occurred? I'm generally not a fan of the time travel genre so it's been eating me up a bit.

Explorer
Nov 15, 2018
james skullheart on Nov 18, 2019 wrote:
So in the Great Chasm in Dragonspyre, Edrick Scatterglow tells you that he has discovered a crystal which "stores" and "preserves" different states of time. So you eventually use the crystal to visit Dragonspyre of the past to obtain a copy of the vault key. You go back to the present and open the vault, easy enough. Vasek Ashweaver however is there and doesn't recognize you (which is correct). You beat him in a duel and he says he suddenly remembers you, saying you helped "save the portal stones." How is this possible? The narrator said in the game that the crystals can give someone in contact or affected by them visions (which may not be entirely accurate) of the past, present, and future. I think Vasek had received the vision of you helping him (which had not really happened) after his defeat, as I assume the crystals are only capable of allowing one to visit the past, but not necessarily travelling through time. Can my prediction seem logical or true? Is it entirely up to the player's decision what occurred? I'm generally not a fan of the time travel genre so it's been eating me up a bit.
Dragonspyre was a little before my time, but I'm pretty sure the original intent was that you did travel back to see a glimpse of Dragonspyre in the past. Vasek doesn't recognize the wizard at first (it had been a long time, after all), but the duel jogged his memory.

But it's not 100% cut and dried - the crystals and their abilities are not rigidly defined (nor should they be!). Time travel stories are the fuzziest of yarns - your version of events makes as much sense as any other.

Explorer
Jun 22, 2010
The Curator on Nov 18, 2019 wrote:
Dragonspyre was a little before my time, but I'm pretty sure the original intent was that you did travel back to see a glimpse of Dragonspyre in the past. Vasek doesn't recognize the wizard at first (it had been a long time, after all), but the duel jogged his memory.

But it's not 100% cut and dried - the crystals and their abilities are not rigidly defined (nor should they be!). Time travel stories are the fuzziest of yarns - your version of events makes as much sense as any other.
Thank you so much for getting back to me! I'm glad some things are left to your decision so you can decipher it, especially like in Pirate 101.