Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Not being able to post if you don't pay?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
I've just started using the message board and am surprised non-members can't post or reply to topics. This seems rather sudden as I was capable of posting just recently and was locked out hereafter. I'm primarily a crowns player, I usually purchase the areas since I don't play as much as I used to, but I still enjoy making new characters and enjoying the experience. I understand the perks of having membership from pvp and benefits, but the community message board should be free for everyone. Many players should have the opportunity to voice their concerns and ideas in the game without having to be blocked by a pay wall. In my case for example, I've practically bought the entirety of the game yet I can't use the message board seems ridiculous.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Jack Firebreaker on Jun 22, 2019 wrote:
I've just started using the message board and am surprised non-members can't post or reply to topics. This seems rather sudden as I was capable of posting just recently and was locked out hereafter. I'm primarily a crowns player, I usually purchase the areas since I don't play as much as I used to, but I still enjoy making new characters and enjoying the experience. I understand the perks of having membership from pvp and benefits, but the community message board should be free for everyone. Many players should have the opportunity to voice their concerns and ideas in the game without having to be blocked by a pay wall. In my case for example, I've practically bought the entirety of the game yet I can't use the message board seems ridiculous.
I agree, it would be much better for the community and the game if this site wasn't so exclusive. I was crowns only for a long time and could not post here. I emailed KI with an idea and was redirected to post it here...which I couldn't as I hadn't bought crowns in the last 30 days, which was the point of choosing to be a crowns member (buy in bulk a couple of times a year).

A lot of great ideas and valuable feedback is lost by excluding non-members. It also inhibits the value of community since non-members can not ask for help or offer to assist other players.

It felt imbalanced to me that I'd spent hundreds of dollars on crowns to buy all zones but 30 days later was not valued enough to post here or still have the report feature in game. I'd really like to see this forum opened up to all wizards regardless of whether they have an active membership or have purchased crowns in the last 30 days.

Defender
Mar 12, 2018
Hi Jack! This is definitely frustrating for everybody :(. I've spoken to Sparck (Our Community Manager) about this one before. And unfortunately, they have to keep it in place due to legal age limits of their players. It's a coppa thing...

Though, hopefully in the future this can be changed...

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Nathan Darkhorn on Jun 24, 2019 wrote:
Hi Jack! This is definitely frustrating for everybody :(. I've spoken to Sparck (Our Community Manager) about this one before. And unfortunately, they have to keep it in place due to legal age limits of their players. It's a coppa thing...

How is it related to COPPA? I don't understand the connection since menu chat players are able to post and fully participate if they have membership. If it's COPPA related surely it would be restricted by age not membership status?

The only thing that could potentially affect COPPA compliance is the sharing of TFCs, which used to be banned on here but is now being allowed. I'm not sure why this has changed and I worry it puts menu chat players and KI at risk because it changes the chat status from menu chat to text chat for that connection. I made a post about alternatives HERE.

Please could you find out so we can understand? I'd love for KI to open this forum to all wizards and I'd also appreciate an alternative to TFCs for connecting more easily without changing the safety feature for vulnerable players

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
You can still access the Message Boards with a purchase of crowns either through the game site or with a pre-paid card.

Administrator
The message boards are in this state to ensure safety and security for users. We have strict moderation policies in place that wouldn't be possible to enforce if anyone could register and immediately post.

Sorry about this inconvenience, but we must keep the community safe first.

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
Nathan Darkhorn on Jun 24, 2019 wrote:

I have 3 accounts bought with crowns, from Wizard City to Empyrea part 2, plus at least 10 bundles or more. I have had these accounts for 10 years plus now.
Unless I purchase crowns or a monthly membership, I can not post here
What does this mean, "they have to keep it in place due to legal age limits of their players"
So, what is the legal age that you have to be to post on here
If I was under 15 yrs old and have a yearly membership, I would NOT be able to post here

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Victoria FireHeart on Jun 24, 2019 wrote:
I agree, it would be much better for the community and the game if this site wasn't so exclusive. I was crowns only for a long time and could not post here. I emailed KI with an idea and was redirected to post it here...which I couldn't as I hadn't bought crowns in the last 30 days, which was the point of choosing to be a crowns member (buy in bulk a couple of times a year).

A lot of great ideas and valuable feedback is lost by excluding non-members. It also inhibits the value of community since non-members can not ask for help or offer to assist other players.

It felt imbalanced to me that I'd spent hundreds of dollars on crowns to buy all zones but 30 days later was not valued enough to post here or still have the report feature in game. I'd really like to see this forum opened up to all wizards regardless of whether they have an active membership or have purchased crowns in the last 30 days.
This does seem a good idea at first glance; but for the fact that there are millions of players of this game. KI just doesn't have the personel required to moderate all threads and replies, it would soon be bogged down and then everyone one would be frustrated.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
The thing i am wondering about is this.. Say little timmy is 10.. for his birthday his parents get him a subscription to W101.. Now little timmy has full access to the message boards.. I don't see how the membership restriction keeps kids safe on these boards in this scenario.
It seems to me that using the message boards is more of a perk of being a member and has nothing to do with safety..

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
anecorbie on Jun 26, 2019 wrote:
This does seem a good idea at first glance; but for the fact that there are millions of players of this game. KI just doesn't have the personel required to moderate all threads and replies, it would soon be bogged down and then everyone one would be frustrated.
I disagree because it's just shifting resources. Arguably it could cost LESS to allow access here. My thoughts on it is based on message boards v customer support v leaving in frustration v staying because you're part of the Spiral!

If someone without access to the forum has a problem (something solvable without intervention of going onto the account) they can either message customer support or put up with it. If it's affecting their game badly they might quit (yes, extreme). More likely, they will message customer support, several messages back and forth, they get the answer they'd have got in 24 hours from a bunch of other wizards here, plus a bunch of related tips and offers to connect in game.

The time it takes to check a post being made here doesn't break forum rules is a lot less than the time customer support spend sending messages back and forth, possibly ending up going onto the account etc...

The community help quickly, clearly, efficiently and also offer additional support because we're happy to be friends not just official support.

Being part of the community keep players who would otherwise lose interest or leave for whatever reason. One change to Wiz had me so close to leaving it makes me shudder to think on it lol...it was friends who kept me here and friends who helped me adapt...I am very grateful for that!

When a non-member has an idea they can either keep it to themselves or email KI...only to be redirected to message boards they can not post on. Yep, it happened to me. Second time, I had membership and was able to post. If not then I'd have done the same as the first time and just not mentioned it again...what's the point?

Allowing all customers* to have access to the forum would require more time moderating it, but the potential time/money saved elsewhere and the investment in the community and how valued they feel is immense

*I previously said 'all wizards' but I should have stipulated all customers eg every account that has spent over X has permanent access to the forum. I don't expect KI to deal with trolls exploiting F2P.