Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How Jewels Work

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 15, 2010
Hey Guys,

Jewels are something that have always confused me in the game. I have a maxed life and have 90 jewel resist and 41 normal resist.

Is this jewel resist a percentage? So do I have 131% Resist? Because people with 50% resist have less damage delt to them which makes no sense to me because in theory I'd have 130%.

Thanks.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Soulcenter01 on Nov 18, 2018 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Jewels are something that have always confused me in the game. I have a maxed life and have 90 jewel resist and 41 normal resist.

Is this jewel resist a percentage? So do I have 131% Resist? Because people with 50% resist have less damage delt to them which makes no sense to me because in theory I'd have 130%.

Thanks.
Someone else might explain it better than me, but just in case no-one else responds I'll say it how I understand it

I think it is flat rate resist. It's not a percentage but can be used to mitigate 90 incoming hit on top of the 41% resist. Imagine you're on 99% resist and taking out the flat rate of 90 or below stops you from taking any damage. It can assist with immunity and reduces the amount of damage you will be hit with.

I hope this explains it accurately and well enough to understand it! I don't use it very often so I don't know how it works in more detail than this. I hope it helps though!

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Soulcenter01 on Nov 18, 2018 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks.
Normal resist deals in percentages, while jewel resist deals with "flat resist." I think it would make more sense if I give an example on how it works:

Let's pretend that your Life gets hit with a 1000 damage attack. Because of your 41% resist, you only take 590 damage from the attack (1000 - 410 damage). With that being calculated, this is now where flat resist goes into effect. Because you have 90 flat resist, this is the number of damage points that is subtracted from the attack's hit. Therefore, you would take 500 damage (590 - 90 flat resist).

Not many people use jewels for resist (unless it's the percentage ones used on pets), because they don't really provide much of a benefit.

Explorer
Jul 05, 2014
Hello!

The resist jewels, along with the damage jewels do not give you percentage. They give you the actual hit points! For example: I have 50% resist from my gear. I added, in total, resist jewels to 25. A firecat attacks me that deals 100 damage, and it deals 25 damage.
It's only for hit points, like in the example above! I hope this helped!

-TiffanyHex

Survivor
Dec 23, 2014
Those jewels you're talking about give flat resist. So say you have 50 flat resist, and you get hit with a spell that does 300 damage. 50 damage from that spell would be resisted, so it would do 250 damage. If it was 50% resist, then it would do 150 damage, since half of the damage would be resisted.

I don't think there's any jewels that give percentage resist, same going for damage. I wouldn't use resist and damage jewels since flat damage and resist is mostly useless.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Jewel resist and damage bonus are an integer rather than a percentage. So your 90 jewel resist and 41 normal resist means that you'll take 41% less damage, then reduce that damage by 90.
If you would take 1000 damage, you'll instead take 1000 *(1 -.41) = 590 - 90 = 500.
If you would take 100 damage, you'll instead take 100 * (1-.41) = 59 - 90 = 0.

Defender
May 23, 2009
Your resist from jewels is not a percentage, but hit points. Your resist from gear is a percentage. The easiest example is getting hit by the spell wild bolt. If you were to get hit by 100 and you have 90 storm resist from jewels only, you would only receive 10 damage (because 100 - 90).