Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Question about gardening?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 05, 2018
Hi,

Just started gardening for a change and have some queries.

Is it better to but a house, which allows you more space and stuff to garden properly as your dome space is very small? Is it the more challenging the plant, the better the reward?

Also, how do I buy a plot like to garden in, is it via a house or another way?

Complete noob at this, so need some good advise.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
If you're going to do any serious gardening, then yes it's best to buy a house. The Royal Playhouse in Wizard City is available for 20,000 gold (I think?) and it has enough room for a modest garden.

For 100,000 gold you can buy a larger house out of the crown shop. They have a lot more space outdoors and indoors. The Red Barn Farm is also available for $125,000 gold from the crown shop and is an automatic "like" for plants.

To begin gardening, you can buy small and medium pots from the gardener mole in Golum Court, Krokotopia, Mooshu, etc. Once you've leveled up a bit more in gardening experience, then you can also train for spells that let you plow specific plant sites in your house. You will need to train a gardening spell in order to grow plants that need large plots.

Generally speaking, higher level plants offer both more challenges and more rewards. Some plants are best for reagents, some for treasure cards and some for pet snacks. The best plants combine two or more of these rewards and yet aren't horridly difficult to grow. For example, Couch Potatoes are actually pretty easy to grow and offer a lot of gold, treasure cards and mega pet snacks. You can get couch potatoes from the mobs in Savarstaad Pass in Grizzleheim.

While you're in the learning stages, it's best to keep to rank 1 & 2 plants. Pink Dandelions are a great way to get started. They drop freely in the Krokosphinx and give a lot of gardening experience and basic reagents as you harvest them.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Jul 05, 2018
Hi Alia,

That's awesome, thanks for the information. Just to clarify, the properties that can be bought via the crown shop or elsewhere comes with plots of their own? E.g. Small, Medium etc?

Funnily enough, I started on Pink Dafs and am slowly harvesting them, any other ones you reckon to stick to at certain levels or just rank 1 & 2 pets?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Freshta has you on a great start. The other thing that Pink Dandelions are great for are Seed Vaults. You can either buy them in the crown shop or craft them (the seed vaults). You'll need 25 of them (among other reagents) to craft a single seed vault (which is one per inside and one per outside of a house). ALWAYS get the new spells when they're available if you can afford them. Decide what you're really going after, and find the seeds that will give you the best chance of getting that item.

For a few updates now, seeds will drop items that they like, so if you can't find them right away, be patient. To maximize what you can do, put on your energy related gear before you sign off at night so your energy rebuilds while you're sleeping. Also, while KI won't take any negative action against you, garden stacking IS allowed. You do it at your own risk though. If you lose an item while stacking your garden and tending to them, they will NOT replace it.

In order to maximize space, you CAN plant 2 plots next to each other and utilize 1 set of likes. I have 2 stacked 69 plot Evil Magma Pea gardens sharing a single set of likes, side by side, so it is VERY possible. I can't post pictures of it, but it is very possible. It just takes a lot of care.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
BTW, when you get high enough, make sure you use the enchanted soil in all of your gardens. I know it sounds like double the work, but ANY seed can be planted in them. If you decide to change which seed you plant, it wont matter as enchanted plots accept any seed that requires that size. However, normal plots will NOT allow you to plant seeds requiring magic plots. Basically, dont waste your time building a huge regular soil plot. Wait until you can get the enchanted soil plot of the size you need and THEN make your permanent one.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2018
Ahh, thanks for the information, I'm thinking of buying the farmhouse which comes with plots etc, am I able to plant any seeds amongst the plot? like if is requires small, medium, large or enchanted etc.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
DarkJab on Oct 5, 2018 wrote:
Hi Alia,

That's awesome, thanks for the information. Just to clarify, the properties that can be bought via the crown shop or elsewhere comes with plots of their own? E.g. Small, Medium etc?

Funnily enough, I started on Pink Dafs and am slowly harvesting them, any other ones you reckon to stick to at certain levels or just rank 1 & 2 pets?
No house comes with plots, you will have to either plow in your own plots (using a spell) or buy flower pots from one of the gardener moles. Any large plant, such as couch potatoes, requires a large plot that you will have to train a spell for, then you put in the plot yourself.

I don't stack gardens as others do, but I do agree with previous poster about having plots arranged to share "likes." There are surprise items that plants like to have next to them. For example, all dandelions like potted cat tails, a ball of blue yarn, snap dragon plants and the tropical garden gnome. Also, I agree that using only enchanted soil is best in the long run. In the early stages, however, just use what you can afford in terms of energy, space and gold. (Training enchanted plot spells and/or buying enchanted pots will cost you more money.)

Some of the best plants are crowns ones, but I hesitate to recommend them when I don't know what your resources are. However, DO keep any Couch Potatoes, Key Limes, King Parsleys, or Fish on a Vine that drop for you. These are rare or crowns only plants that are fairly easy to grow. They always self-seed and they drop treasure cards, reagents and/or pet snacks that you can use or sell.

If you don't mind sharing your goals for gardening, I can point you towards plants that will help. Meanwhile, here's a general guide to get you started.

https://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-gardening-guides/breaking-the-bonds-of-gardening-wizard101/

Long may your thumb be green,

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Jul 05, 2018
To be honest, I don't really have a long term goal. I'm just looking at gardening and it's benefits. I've got 2 Pink Dandelions now and they are doing well, I've read of other plants which are excellent to use and am gearing towards them, such as Couch Potatoes.

I just wanted to think about whether or not I should invest in the Red Barn house for it's own plots ready or if it doesn't make a difference if I bought a different property in-game. So, the information you have provided me has very much helped :)

Survivor
Jul 04, 2013
the farm doesn't have any pre made plots. you got to do that yourself. it just gives a boost to plants. while dandelions are nice the best plants for beginners are Stinkweed and Key Limes. while Stinkweed are generally dislike by everything and everyone they are stupid easy to grow and give quite a bit of gold and tc but very little garden exp. Key Limes are better for the exp. when you get higher up in gardening and have larger gardens stock up on global garden tc (i.e. flood for Stinkweed, Bees! for dandelion, and so on) pest prevention spells are also important. it keeps pests away so you dont need to clear them every time.