Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Astral Treasure Card level restrictions

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Have you ever given any consideration to low level wizards using Auras and Enhancements early on? I don't think that should be possible. To help improve the fairness of early gameplay and PvP, I think there should be a restriction on buying Astral School Treasure Cards in the Bazaar until you have finished Dragonspyre and/or reached level 50. Do you agree?

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
I'm not familiar enough with low level PvP to decide whether or not they should be allowed to use auras, but I can tell you right now that that's not going to stop them from obtaining them. They can just have a higher-level friend purchase them and then just trade them.

The best solution (again, if this is a big enough problem to warrant attention) would be to add a no-PvP restriction to the TC, but only if it's for certain levels. Removing aura TC entirely from PvP will not be taken well at all.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Torpzun26 on Sep 21, 2018 wrote:
I'm not familiar enough with low level PvP to decide whether or not they should be allowed to use auras, but I can tell you right now that that's not going to stop them from obtaining them. They can just have a higher-level friend purchase them and then just trade them.

The best solution (again, if this is a big enough problem to warrant attention) would be to add a no-PvP restriction to the TC, but only if it's for certain levels. Removing aura TC entirely from PvP will not be taken well at all.
Nice idea, but I'm saying to help curb the flow of players using them, there should be a restriction in the Bazaar.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
For PvE I don't see any need for a restriction, in fact I think restricting it for PvE would put people off levelling more characters. The added boosts we can take advantage of on subsequent wizards makes low level questing faster, keeping it interesting for wizards who have already learned their way around basic strategies and the game. First wizards seldom use these boosts as they're still familiarising themselves with the basics...and there is already a lot of new info to take on board.

PvP is perhaps a different story. I don't PvP much but if auras and enchants were level locked in PvP I'd understand keeping it level appropriate and less imbalanced for new/first wizards who would like to join in. Restricting the sale without also restricting the trade of these cards would literally broaden the gap between those who have other wizards and those who are on their first because we could just trade them to our low levels but they would have no way to obtain them.

I don't think that restricting the trade of auras etc is a good idea because so many of them come from plants anyway. My low level wizzys have tons of them from gardening, I also give away hundreds of auras to new wizards I meet who are low on gold.

Making auras and enchants level restricted purely in PvP could be a good move to help it be more balanced.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Victoria FireHeart on Sep 21, 2018 wrote:
For PvE I don't see any need for a restriction, in fact I think restricting it for PvE would put people off levelling more characters. The added boosts we can take advantage of on subsequent wizards makes low level questing faster, keeping it interesting for wizards who have already learned their way around basic strategies and the game. First wizards seldom use these boosts as they're still familiarising themselves with the basics...and there is already a lot of new info to take on board.

PvP is perhaps a different story. I don't PvP much but if auras and enchants were level locked in PvP I'd understand keeping it level appropriate and less imbalanced for new/first wizards who would like to join in. Restricting the sale without also restricting the trade of these cards would literally broaden the gap between those who have other wizards and those who are on their first because we could just trade them to our low levels but they would have no way to obtain them.

I don't think that restricting the trade of auras etc is a good idea because so many of them come from plants anyway. My low level wizzys have tons of them from gardening, I also give away hundreds of auras to new wizards I meet who are low on gold.

Making auras and enchants level restricted purely in PvP could be a good move to help it be more balanced.
Now that you put it that way, I have to agree with you. it would be a little unfair. But I quite agree on the PvP restriction. It would make things more balanced.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
For PvE, I have zero problem removing level requirements. There's really no reason for it for buying/using TCs. The Celestia crafting quest has a level requirement for the Polymorph Treant. Why? This seems so silly. They've already made the Zafaria quest quest locked which eliminates the need for a level lock on buying the TCs; you can't shotgun the crafting quests PAST Celestia.

If they're going to implement a lock on more TCs, then they NEED to give Life/Death a low level AoE that is obtainable via quest OR the school teacher. Before anybody says that Deer Knight is that spell, it isn't. There's no guarantee you will ever get it from a pack, it's not a guaranteed drop, and you can't craft it until AFTER you finish the Zafaria quest locked crafting quest.

Until I learned each spell, I bought a ton of Crow/Lord tcs. I had a school pet with a Life/Death blade on it. I'd stack those and kill many things. Once I got my Wintertusk crafted gear, I'd have a 3rd blade to stack. Once I learned Crow/Lord, I sold all of the tc Lords/Crows and bought tons of Gargantuan tcs. This way I could stack 3 blades AND have the damage enhancer on it.

If they institute MORE TC level caps, then Life/Death schools REQUIRE a low level AoE, given out at the APPROPRIATE level, not 100 levels AFTER it is needed. Deer Knight is NOT the answer to this, because unless you're REALLY lucky, you can't get it guaranteed until AFTER the Zafaria crafting quest is done AND you craft it.

Survivor
Jan 04, 2018
I'm not too familiar with PvP, but if they can purchase the astral cards, then so can you, right? So you aren't really at a disadvantage; you just haven't prepared in the same way they may have. I say let 'em do it. Unless I'm missing something?

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Elaine3626 on Sep 26, 2018 wrote:
I'm not too familiar with PvP, but if they can purchase the astral cards, then so can you, right? So you aren't really at a disadvantage; you just haven't prepared in the same way they may have. I say let 'em do it. Unless I'm missing something?
True, that is a fact, but what about PvE in the early worlds? it would make them breeze through it too easy, instead of making it an enjoyable challenge. It would take all the fun out of it. Imagine putting Colossal on Thunder Snake, for example. Too powerful for the early worlds...

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Lookit Light on Sep 27, 2018 wrote:
True, that is a fact, but what about PvE in the early worlds? it would make them breeze through it too easy, instead of making it an enjoyable challenge. It would take all the fun out of it. Imagine putting Colossal on Thunder Snake, for example. Too powerful for the early worlds...
What about death and life schools who don't get a guaranteed AoE until levels 48 and 58? Having the limitation makes it harder for them to solo. I am NOT suggesting to only allow Life/Death to ignore the limitations, but it will be MUCH harder for those 2 schools. Also, who cares if they're too powerful in PvE? Are the monsters complaining that they're dying too fast? What makes the game enjoyable is different for each player. Having long drawn out battles early on will have people abandoning Life/Death, which are 2 awesome schools.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
dayerider on Sep 28, 2018 wrote:
What about death and life schools who don't get a guaranteed AoE until levels 48 and 58? Having the limitation makes it harder for them to solo. I am NOT suggesting to only allow Life/Death to ignore the limitations, but it will be MUCH harder for those 2 schools. Also, who cares if they're too powerful in PvE? Are the monsters complaining that they're dying too fast? What makes the game enjoyable is different for each player. Having long drawn out battles early on will have people abandoning Life/Death, which are 2 awesome schools.
Who says they have to do it solo? Life and Death are designed to work with other schools, in my opinion. when the going gets tough they can just ask a friend to help or use Team Up, or grind easier monsters for levels and better gear. Besides, you're forgetting about the other schools, Astral cards would still make them overpowered. This game needs to be fun and enjoyable, but also challenging. Astral cards too early on take away the challenge.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Lookit Light on Sep 28, 2018 wrote:
Who says they have to do it solo? Life and Death are designed to work with other schools, in my opinion. when the going gets tough they can just ask a friend to help or use Team Up, or grind easier monsters for levels and better gear. Besides, you're forgetting about the other schools, Astral cards would still make them overpowered. This game needs to be fun and enjoyable, but also challenging. Astral cards too early on take away the challenge.
people who can't get good teams together because of their time of day, or because people dont like their gaer, or because of a thousand other reasons. Nobody said they HAVE to solo, I'm just saying it would make it even HARDER to solo than it is now, almost forcing those two schools to have a team. However, every fight in the game should be able to be soloed, even the hard ones (not counting the mega dungeons like darkmoor). Remember, YOUR version of fun and enjoyable isn't your neighbor's. What if my version of fun is being able to kill monster in the smallest number of rounds and I want to focus on the story? Making this change would DRAMATICALLY impact my fun. This kind of thing isnt a black of white situation, nor is THAT my style of fun; it was just an example.