Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My Theories On What Each World Is Based Around

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
First of all, sorry to the mods reviewing this if I accidentally tried to post this earlier, I'm not sure if I did. Anyways, I'm going to explain what I think each world is based around, and I'm not just talking "Krokotopia is based around Egypt," I'm talking about some pretty interesting things I've notices. Some stuff I say will be obvious, but I do have a few interesting things to share. I'm only doing Wizard City - Polaris because I haven't played the game much in the past few years, so I don't know about the most recent few worlds.

1. Wizard City: Not based around any specific place.

2. Krokotopia: Egypt obviously because of the pyramid, sphinx, and temple.

3. Grizzleheim: This one I think is interesting; I think that Grizzleheim is based around The Hobbit. My reasoning is because there's a place in The Hobbit called Mirkwood, and in Grizzleheim, there's Mirkholm Keep. Also there is a theme of runes, which is a huge theme in The Hobbit too.

4. Wintertusk: As ridiculous as it sounds, I believe that Wintertusk is based around Greenland. My first reason is obviously because of the weather, but my big reason is because places like there's a town in Greenland that starts in "Vest" (just like Vestrilund) and there are other places in Wintertusk that start with letters of towns in Greenland.

5. Wysteria: I think that Wysteria is based around Italy because of the Italian town look to it.

6. Marleybone: Obviously an England based theme because Big Ben and just the over all looks.

7. Mooshu: Obviously an Asian theme, but more specifically a Japanese theme because of the samurais.

8. Dragonspyre: Obviously a hell theme.

9. Aquila: Obviously a Greece theme because of Mount Olympus, Atlantis (or Atlantea as the game calls it), Tartarus, Zeus, Aries, the gladiator dude, Poseidon, Cronus, Hades, and just the over all looks.

10. Celestia: Obviously an underwater theme, but also a sort of Hawaiian theme when you get to go out of the water and onto the tropical island.

11. Darkmoor: Not based around any specific place.

12. Zafaria: Obviously an African theme, but more specifically probably a Madagascar theme because Madagascar has the Baobab Forest while Zafaria has the Baobab Market and the Baobab Crown.

13: Avalon: I'm not totally sure, but probably a Scotland/Ireland theme.

14: Azteca: Mexico theme because of Mayan Temples, the Cenote, Xibalba, and the over all look and jungle theme.

15: Khrysalis: I have no idea what it's based around. I don't even know if it's based around any place.

16: Polaris: I'm not totally sure, but I'm guessing maybe Estonia because of the weather and the structure of the buildings.

So, what did you think?

Survivor
May 06, 2012
Blaze Deathward on Jul 14, 2018 wrote:
First of all, sorry to the mods reviewing this if I accidentally tried to post this earlier, I'm not sure if I did. Anyways, I'm going to explain what I think each world is based around, and I'm not just talking "Krokotopia is based around Egypt," I'm talking about some pretty interesting things I've notices. Some stuff I say will be obvious, but I do have a few interesting things to share. I'm only doing Wizard City - Polaris because I haven't played the game much in the past few years, so I don't know about the most recent few worlds.

3. Grizzleheim: This one I think is interesting; I think that Grizzleheim is based around The Hobbit. My reasoning is because there's a place in The Hobbit called Mirkwood, and in Grizzleheim, there's Mirkholm Keep. Also there is a theme of runes, which is a huge theme in The Hobbit too.

4. Wintertusk: As ridiculous as it sounds, I believe that Wintertusk is based around Greenland. My first reason is obviously because of the weather, but my big reason is because places like there's a town in Greenland that starts in "Vest" (just like Vestrilund) and there are other places in Wintertusk that start with letters of towns in Greenland.

5. Wysteria: I think that Wysteria is based around Italy because of the Italian town look to it.

6. Marleybone: Obviously an England based theme because Big Ben and just the over all looks.

7. Mooshu: Obviously an Asian theme, but more specifically a Japanese theme because of the samurais.

9. Aquila: Obviously a Greece theme because of Mount Olympus, Atlantis (or Atlantea as the game calls it), Tartarus, Zeus, Aries, the gladiator dude, Poseidon, Cronus, Hades, and just the over all looks.

10. Celestia: Obviously an underwater theme, but also a sort of Hawaiian theme when you get to go out of the water and onto the tropical island.

12. Zafaria: Obviously an African theme, but more specifically probably a Madagascar theme because Madagascar has the Baobab Forest while Zafaria has the Baobab Market and the Baobab Crown.

14: Azteca: Mexico theme because of Mayan Temples, the Cenote, Xibalba, and the over all look and jungle theme.

15: Khrysalis: I have no idea what it's based around. I don't even know if it's based around any place.

16: Polaris: I'm not totally sure, but I'm guessing maybe Estonia because of the weather and the structure of the buildings.

So, what did you think?
I like this post because I enjoy discussing the different worlds and their cultures. I do have some comments though

1-Wintertusk is not a stand-alone world, it’s an extension of Grizzleheim, and they essentially share the same culture. There are a few hobbit references, but it is for the most part based off of Scandinavian culture, Vikings, etc, as well as Norse mythology

2-I’m not sure what I’d classify dragonspyre is, maybe Russian because of the accents. But it’s not really hell themed. If anything, that’d be the Tartarus dungeon in Aquila

3-I agree Aquila has a lot of Greek, but is also has an even amount of Ancient Roman culture, with things such as the senate and other Roman influences

4-Avalon is just medieval Europe in general, what with the castles and knights, etc. Albion, not a world yet, is referred to frequently in Pirate101 as being a possible future world with an Irish theme

5-Aztecs is just Latin America in general, not specifically Mexico, before the Spanish colonization. It’s also dinosaur themed, so they kind of joined those two together.

6-Polaris is actually a mix of the Russian Empire and French Revolution.

7-Left out Mirage, which is Arabian and Middle Eastern culture in medieval times

8-Also left out Empyrea, which is Star Trek themed

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Blaze Deathward on Jul 14, 2018 wrote:

So, what did you think?
1. Wizard City: Middle Ages, Magic

2. Krokotopia: Egypt in the 19th Century, when French archaeologists began excavating the pyramids.

3. Grizzleheim: Interesting you chose The Hobbit. I would say it's pretty clearly based on Vikings, especially with the references to Grendel, the monster in Beowulf (an epic poem from that time).

4. Wintertusk: "Vest" means "West" in the Germanic languages. Vestriland is "Western Land." In other words, a Viking colony ... like Greenland.

5. Wysteria: Renaissance Italy.

6. Marleybone: London, about 100-130 years ago. Chelsea Court and Hyde Park are real places in London.

7. Mooshu: Shogun era of Japan.

8. Dragonspyre: Kind of a Russian military / Classical Rome hybrid world. Based on Mt. Vesuvius, a volcano that destroyed a whole city in ancient Rome.

9. Aquila: Ancient Greek mythology. Mt. Olympus was the home of the gods, Tartarus was the domain of Hades, etc.

10. Celestia: I thought it was like the "Lost City of Atlantis," until Aquila came out. The Floating Lands remind me of Fiji and other Pacific Island cultures.

11. Darkmoor: Transylvania, a forested area in Romania that is home to Count Dracula (a famous vampire from fiction).

12. Zafaria: Parts of Africa that include savanna grasslands and tropical jungle forests.

13: Avalon: I had an argument about this with someone once. It's definitely English folklore (King Arthur) but it's set in Medieval France (the countryside and architecture).

14: Azteca: Aztec and Mayan cultures of Mexico, combined with the theory that a giant comet or asteroid hitting the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico is what wiped out the dinosaurs.

15: Khrysalis: A revolution/rebellion going on in your back garden, but with shades of Australia (Khonda Desert) thrown in.

16: Polaris: St. Petersburg, Russia, with the French & Bolshevik Revolutions being combined into one.

Alia Misthaven

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
In complete agreement with the theories presented here, with these exceptions or addendums.

Wizard City: Think along the lines of a non-copyright infringing Hogwarts.

Krokotopia would be of the turn of the century British excavating everything in Egypt not French (The scientists are from Marleybone after all.)

Grizzlehiem/Wintertusk is definitely a Viking themed world.

Celestia is a steampunk world based off the writings of Jules Verne. It incorporates the search for Atlantis and the discovery of "Lost Worlds".

Avalon is very much based off of the King Arthur Legends

Khrysalis definitely borrows a lot from the Watership Down novels, especially the Deer Mice and the war of revolution to reclaim a monarchy.

I haven't made it to Mirage but from I understand, although it's Persia and the Middle East it's not medieval, it's more the 1,001 Arabian Nights tales by Sherazade (Aladdin, Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, Sinbad, etc.)

Steven Ghoststalker

Explorer
Jan 24, 2010
My theories:

-Wizard City: Just a medieval city with wizards

-Krokotopia: Egypt obviously

-Grizzleheim and Wintertusk: Scandanavian region

-Wysteria: Another wizard academy like Wizard City

-Marleybone: Victorian England

-Mooshu: East Asia (especially Japan)

-Dragonspyre: Indeed an underworld theme but it also seems like it has a Roman theme

-Celestia: Polynesia

-Zafaria: Africa

-Avalon: Celtic region and I believe that is more inspired by the Hobbit than Wizard City

-Azteca: Interestingly, this world combines the history of the dinosaurs with the history of South America before the Spanish took it. Both the xiabalba is supposed to be the comet that killed the dinosaurs as well as the embodiment of the European colonization of the Americas

-Khrysalis: I really don't know but some of the names of the mice there sound rather Jewish so if I had to guess I would go with Israel or feudal France (because of the medieval weapons and armor, plus I think I heard something about a hundred year war there which was fought between England and France in the middle ages)

-Darkmoor: Germany during the middle ages

-Polaris: I honestly thought Poland at first but some people on another thread convinced me it is based on the Russian and French revolutions

-Mirage: Some sort of middle eastern country like Syria

-Empyrea: A Star Trek planet most likely. However, it might also be Gotham City because the Bat is Bat-Man and Nightwyng is Night-Wing (Robin).