Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What do you do if you're behind?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 11, 2012
I have a feeling that I'm WAY behind. I finished Krokotopia at level 33 and now I'm less than halfway through Marleybone at level 39. And ever since I completely redesigned my deck, as well as buying 2 new decks for different situations as recommended, I've come across little to no challenge in anything I do. And I keep getting called in for spell quests that go to the next world. I got the quest for the fire minion that makes you go to Chelsea Court when I was still working on the krokospinx and I just not got called in for Smoke Screen, but the quest is asking me to go to Mooshu! I'm worried that I'll always be behind and the game won't be challenging enough anywhere I go, I also looked at the recommended levels for each world and I'm way off!

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
madogg6 on Nov 6, 2017 wrote:
I have a feeling that I'm WAY behind. I finished Krokotopia at level 33 and now I'm less than halfway through Marleybone at level 39. And ever since I completely redesigned my deck, as well as buying 2 new decks for different situations as recommended, I've come across little to no challenge in anything I do. And I keep getting called in for spell quests that go to the next world. I got the quest for the fire minion that makes you go to Chelsea Court when I was still working on the krokospinx and I just not got called in for Smoke Screen, but the quest is asking me to go to Mooshu! I'm worried that I'll always be behind and the game won't be challenging enough anywhere I go, I also looked at the recommended levels for each world and I'm way off!
You're actually doing really good. The average person gets to Marleybone at around level 25 nowadays, so the fact that you're only halfway through AND at level 39 gives you a major advantage. A lot of people on here actually complain how difficult Wizard101 is, so I imagine you'll find it much easier since you're a higher level :P

Yeah, that type of stuff with the spell quests happens when the average person is ahead of you in terms of storyline progression. The only suggestion that I have is you make friends with a person that can go to these zones, so you can teleport them and complete your quest.

Defender
Dec 26, 2016
Stop doing side quests and focus on the storyline. At the rate you're going you might catch up around Celestia or Zafaria.

I don't know where in Mooshu the smoke screen quest makes you go to but see if you can get a friend to port you in.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Be sure to finish side quests that lead to spells and pets, but otherwise you can safely stop doing other side quests for now. If you focus on the storyline quests, you'll gradually drop back down to the appropriate level for the world you're in.

(The exception to that advice is Grizzleheim, seems optional, but it leads to Wintertusk. Questing through Wintertusk up to the beginning of Nordrilund is required to get many utility spells and all of your school pets beyond level 48.)

Being over-leveled is kind of annoying, but the challenge will pick up quite a lot once you finish Dragonspyre and head into Celestia. Once the monsters start using critical attacks against you, you may end up being glad to have that extra boost of health, damage and resist that comes from being over-leveled.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Aug 24, 2017
Yes, I am very confused to how you go to level 33 by the end of Krokotopia, as I haven't reached that level even If I have completed all of the side-quests. I do not think you are behind, you are actually very far forward. The game is telling you to go to Mooshu because that is what they would expect a Level 39 Wizard to be in.

Basically, Wizard 101 is giving you quests in different worlds because you are too far forward. I am currently half-way through Marleybone as well, but I am only Level 34 even though I completed every side-quest in Wizard City and Krokatopia.Tell me, what is your secret, Wizard?

Matthew Greenflame - Level 34

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Finishing Krok at level 33. To be honest, by that level as you suggested, you should be well on your way to Marleybone.

To answer your question though, there really isn't much you can do to alter this. However, since you're incredibly over-leveled, just focus on the main storyline quests.
At your level, you shouldn't have much difficulty soloing.

So, no, you're not way off, you're just over-leveled. It's actually a good thing, nothing to be panicking about.

Good Luck!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
That isn't "behind" it probably just means you take side quests.
I took those on purpose. If you constantly check for and accept side quests, then you can often do 2 or 3 things at once. More than one quest might need the same monster.

I believe in leveling up on purpose. Some people made fun of me for that (great, thanks for letting me know not to friend you), but think about it. You have more health and better gear fighting the same monsters as the purist from a lower level who won't take side quests.

I don't understand purposely making things harder. It's a game, right? Do people usually make entertainment less enjoyable and harder to be entertained by? It would be like watching Tv without your corrective eyewear because it's not fun unless it's a challenge.

JMO

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
First and foremost this is a game. It is meant to be played for enjoyment. Play the game the way you enjoy playing.

Do all the side quests if that's what is fun for you. Take it from someone who has done all the side quests. I'm at level 80 and just now getting to the Jabberwock in Avalon. Once past Dragonspyre you will appreciate the fact that you have a health advantage over Wizards who fast-tracked their "education"

Remember, the key is to play the game in the manner that is most fun for you. No one else can tell you what that is.

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
"Remember, the key is to play the game in the manner that is most fun for you. No one else can tell you what that is."

Well said!
There is a lot of pressure to play a certain way. I've been made fun of for my gear based on how it looked or its stats (they didn't even look because they told me my gear was stitched and it was not), being a 'high level' or being max before I finished Mirage.

I wonder what's in it for those 'critics?'