Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The game is to easy; add "Hardcore" mode?

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Mr Talon on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
So what exactly was the point in me spending time earning gear and spells? Making pets the way I want them?
Those that have the best gear and pets have maxed out everything they can get or do. Therefore, they consider the game "too easy" because they have it all and nothing is a challenge to them anymore. So, they cry on the boards that they want harder and harder content to challenge them. Then the cycle repeats because once again they get the best of the best gear and pet(s) and now the new hard content is too easy. Just rinse and repeat.

What I and others have suggested many times is, if you want more of a challenge (after you've done everything anyway), change your gear. Change your pets. Just because you have the best gear doesn't mean it needs to be used all of the time. I've farmed lower bosses. In my current gear, it would be so easy, but I make it a challenge by stripping off my gear and pet and only allow up to 4-pips spells (no shadow spells). I and many of my friends have done this throughout the years and have had a great time ..... not only farming for what we want but sometimes messing up because we had nothing to fall back on (no gear, no pets).

KI isn't the one who needs to challenge you. You are the one responsible for your challenges. If you want to keep your op gear on with op pets, then so be it. If you're not willing to challenge yourself, then that's up to you when you play the game. People are just making suggestions. It's up to you or whomever to decide what to do with it.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Mr Talon on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
So what exactly was the point in me spending time earning gear and spells? Making pets the way I want them?
I agree. Kingsisle only releases new actual content once a year now, so it basically leaves people like me a full year to do nothing but wait for the next world to come out. And what else to do, than to upgrade the characters you already have? I spent many hours working on my characters to get them as prepared as possible for the next world/dungeon, and it's extremely disappointing when all the new challenging content gets nerfed soon after.

There is literally nothing challenging left to do in Wizard101 now. Casuals have complained and nerfed all of the pre-existing difficult content left before, so now everything is a walk in the park and requires hardly any strategy.

The only downside I see of making a "Hardcore" mode is that soon after it is released, casual people will try and attempt it. When they find it isn't a walk in the park like everything else in this game, they will complain, and soon enough, Kingsisle will nerf it, leaving us in the same exact position as we are in now.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Ok, This topic is getting ugly and sassy along with jumping to conclusions about other's intentions. I feel some of us need to relax before Dworgyn put a lock on this thread from all the fighting. A few of us including me gave good advice on how to make nerfed worlds and battles challenging to those who think the game is now too easy. Those who are complaining about the advice given to them, all I will say is: fine, have it your way; easy or hard, the choice is yours. Just remember you're the ones who will suffer if you're not willing helping yourself. I believe KI is doing everything they can to make this game enjoyable to everyone possible. It's up to us to do the rest.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
BrynnerOfReign on Feb 24, 2017 wrote:
Those that have the best gear and pets have maxed out everything they can get or do. Therefore, they consider the game "too easy" because they have it all and nothing is a challenge to them anymore. So, they cry on the boards that they want harder and harder content to challenge them. Then the cycle repeats because once again they get the best of the best gear and pet(s) and now the new hard content is too easy. Just rinse and repeat.

What I and others have suggested many times is, if you want more of a challenge (after you've done everything anyway), change your gear. Change your pets. Just because you have the best gear doesn't mean it needs to be used all of the time. I've farmed lower bosses. In my current gear, it would be so easy, but I make it a challenge by stripping off my gear and pet and only allow up to 4-pips spells (no shadow spells). I and many of my friends have done this throughout the years and have had a great time ..... not only farming for what we want but sometimes messing up because we had nothing to fall back on (no gear, no pets).

KI isn't the one who needs to challenge you. You are the one responsible for your challenges. If you want to keep your op gear on with op pets, then so be it. If you're not willing to challenge yourself, then that's up to you when you play the game. People are just making suggestions. It's up to you or whomever to decide what to do with it.
So I'm not willing to challenge myself. Well I consider farming for the gear that I want a challenge. I didn't come on the boards to as you put it 'cry on the boards' because I didn't get what I wanted because the drop rate is too low. I kept farming till I got what I wanted.

But you have.

I consider the original difficulty of an update a challenge. I didn't come on the boards and cry about it, threaten to delete my characters and end my account until KI made easier and easier content..

But you have.

Everything you try to call me out on you do yourself, and lets be clear your original post on this thread you said

"I play a lot of MMORPG games plus other types. I enjoy all my games as it was developed."

What it should say is I enjoy all my games as it was developed after I complain and it nerfed to my satisfaction.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Here's the thing. After you get the best of the best gear and pets, of course, you're going to find the game easy. Sorry, but that's 'your' issue and not the rest of the players. KI can only do so much. It's a shame they broke down and tried to cater to the hardcore, but apparently, that's not enough for 'you'. All of you are going to keep asking for more and more hard (hardcore) content and it will still won't be enough to satisfy the 'living life on the edge' in a game.
Exactly, it's not the other player's problem. That is precisely what the OP is suggesting. Leave the main game alone, add a separate, hardcore mode server.

You are surprised people are requesting more content they enjoy? If I enjoy hardcore side content I'm going to request more. If I enjoy casual content I'll request more casual content. Yet it seems that only the casual players have the right to request "more and more" content that appeals to their taste.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Feb 24, 2017 wrote:
A private playground? As far as I know this server would be open to all users. Nor is she demanding anything, she is posting an idea she would like to see in the game.

How do you know what the financial impact of such a server would be? It could just as easily make a profit as lose it. That's for KI to decide.

Permadeath would be a function of the hardcore server not the main game.

Finally the game offers many ways to make it easier. Yet we see casual players refusing to farm, refusing to use team up, refusing to ask for help etc. But heaven forbid anyone suggest this. Nah, the onus should be on the hardcore players to DOWNGRADE themselves instead of players to upgrade themselves.
It's a private playground for those who need the hardcore thrill and experience the danger/risk of losing a character you've leveled, bought gear for, trained pets and mounts. ( see, I completely understood that it's separate from the main game ).
Now how is KI supposed to pay for all that extra work? I don't see any hardcore player here offering to pay extra for this dubious privilege.
No, all I see are complaints that KI "nerfs" too hard, and demands that KI provides hardcore content. If KI caves to your demands, they may pass this extra cost across the board in higher membership rates or zone prices, excuse me, but I'm not going to pay for your "thrill".
As to your accusation that casuals don't farm, don't use team-up, and don't ask for help - I can only speak for myself. When I find time I do farm and the extremely low drop rate in most dungeons is discouraging.
I use team-up when I've given a dungeon an honest effort ( at least 2- 3 tries ) but team-up often leaves much to be desired ( we've all had those terrible experiences ).
I ask for help when my friends are on-line, often I don't even get a reply. I even offer my friends help when I see they're in a difficult dungeon.
Yes, I continue to maintain the onus is on you to make the game as hard as you want it and what's wrong with that?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
A private playground? As far as I know this server would be open to all users. Nor is she demanding anything, she is posting an idea she would like to see in the game.

How do you know what the financial impact of such a server would be? It could just as easily make a profit as lose it. That's for KI to decide.

Permadeath would be a function of the hardcore server not the main game.

Finally the game offers many ways to make it easier. Yet we see casual players refusing to farm, refusing to use team up, refusing to ask for help etc. But heaven forbid anyone suggest this. Nah, the onus should be on the hardcore players to DOWNGRADE themselves instead of players to upgrade themselves.
Eric, did you ever stop to think that many of the Casual players have farmed so many times it has become a chore they don't care to continue? I have done quite a bit of farming and finally said enough. What is the point to spend days to weeks trying to get something that is next to impossible. WW used to have a reasonable drop rate and most wizards could have the full set of gear within 10 runs. Now, even that dungeon has become almost Zero drop rate. I have farmed for reagents, amulets and numerous other items in the game. Potent Trap may come easy for some but for others, it is next to impossible.

Many have used Team Up including me and have been burned. When you join someone in a battle whether by accident or intentional, YOU FINISH IT. Unfortunately, there are those who are extremely inconsiderate and will join a Team Up and as soon as a battle begins, they leave. This is what causes many to refuse to use that option again. I am one of those that won't use it again.

The fact that ALL the best gear has been placed as drops in the "hardcore" optional dungeons doesn't help those who are strictly casual players. It has become an absolute necessity for casual players to do those optional dungeons and run them for hours on end and still not be able to pick up a single piece of the "Best" gear. If KI wants to keep players interested in farming, then the drop rate has got to improve. As I have stated before, the term is "BAIT". If a player can pick up at least one piece of top gear within 3-5 runs, the chances are, they will come back again for more. But you can't expect players to run ANY dungeon 25-50 times mindlessly and keep coming back. That in itself is beyond ridiculous.

I am a little more than a casual player but not "hardcore" by any means. Like you, I do like to solo or dual box but I also like to be able to run with friends when the opportunity arises. There is a difference when playing with friends or strangers. Play styles are known with friends.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009

Sure It's easy for you to say oh just downgrade your gear/spells/pet simple. It is simple for you, because you don't have it so you have no choice but to use something else. You chose to stop farming because you didn't like it. Guess what, I didn't either. But I kept going, you know a 'challenge'.

I spent the time and the energy in getting the gear that I want and making the pets I want, I didn't do all that to then put it in my chest. Sure OK, for a once in a while thing cool.

This is the content that was created and it seems rather a foolish design kingsisle to make powerful spells and gear in your game then create content that provides little to no challenge for what players can do when they attain such gear/spells/pets.

Why even make your developers spend time designing better gear and spells. You can save lots of money by laying off those people right now. Don't need em if you going to keep making cakewalk difficulty. But you keep right on nerfing content and I'm pretty sure a lot of you will be following in professor greyrose footsteps.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
It can be related to real life. Here's how it goes:

Running games: Casual running in the neighborhood and parks with friends. Want a more challenging run? Then you leave the 'casual running game' and go to the game "100m sprint", or the "Marathon" running game. Totally separate games. You leave one to go to another.

Swimming games: Swimming around in a neighborhood pool or a backyard pool. Fun for everyone! Want more to swimming? Leave the neighborhood pool or backyard pool game and go to the other game "Olympic Pool" and do all the fun hardcore stuff to maintain swimming in the Olympic pool or compete in the Olympics. Again, you leave one to go to another.

Many hardcore players are elitists and it's apparent in the game as well as on the boards. Other board posters are trying to find common ground to balance casual vs hardcore in W101.

It's not elitist to say W101 is a casual game for the entire family, from young to old. Sure, casual players want to be 'inclusive'. It is their right to be able to play every aspect of this family-oriented casual game. Hardcore players are welcome, too, but it's obvious that hardcore players want to leave casual players behind to play in their own hard content and push away players they feel aren't 'worth' being allowed in the hardcore world.
You are right it can be related to real life. However your analogy is flawed. Running is still running whether it's hardcore or casual. Similarly Wizard 101 is still W101 whether its Wizard City or Darkmoor. By telling hardcore players to leave W101 youre effectively saying: running is too easy for you why don't you go rock-climbing? No thanks, i want to play Wizard 101(run) not go rock-climbing(other game).

Or to put it another way, both the family swimming pool and the Olympic swimming pool are on Earth(W101). I don't go to Mars (another game) when I want a challenge.

It isn't elitist to say Wizard 101 is a family game. It IS elitist to say W101 should have content that only appeals to casual tastes and if you don't like that then leave.

Finally the op's hardcore server doesnt have any special requirements as far as I know. You're casual and want to play there go ahead.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
FusionSun on Feb 24, 2017 wrote:
I agree. Kingsisle only releases new actual content once a year now, so it basically leaves people like me a full year to do nothing but wait for the next world to come out. And what else to do, than to upgrade the characters you already have? I spent many hours working on my characters to get them as prepared as possible for the next world/dungeon, and it's extremely disappointing when all the new challenging content gets nerfed soon after.

There is literally nothing challenging left to do in Wizard101 now. Casuals have complained and nerfed all of the pre-existing difficult content left before, so now everything is a walk in the park and requires hardly any strategy.

The only downside I see of making a "Hardcore" mode is that soon after it is released, casual people will try and attempt it. When they find it isn't a walk in the park like everything else in this game, they will complain, and soon enough, Kingsisle will nerf it, leaving us in the same exact position as we are in now.
IF KI were to make a "Hardcore" mode on a separate server, I think it would be great idea.

I would suggest that any casual players that attempted to run that server, be forewarned that it will NOT be nerfed to accommodate them. I have no idea what it would take for KI to achieve that goal, but I would not think it would be all that difficult to increase the damages the creatures could do.

I would say however, let them try, but they can't ask for a reduced difficulty since it would be purposely set up as hardcore. The server should also be tagged in a way that there is NO DOUBT what it is.

Can it be done without having issues from accidental crossovers? I certainly don't know and only a game developer could answer that.

If it can be done and the original game be on a balanced PROGRESSIVE increase in difficulty without being overbearing, then it would make sense and KI would still continue to profit. Who knows, it might even regain the popularity is has slowly been losing.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009

Wait, there is something wrong with paying customers asking for content they enjoy?

How many casual players come on the board "crying"(Your words not mine) for more easy content? Oh but it's ok for them to do that but it's bad when hardcore players do that....interesting.

The game developer isn't the one responsible for challenging you in their game? I'm going to reframe your last two paragraphs.

What I and others have suggested many times, is, if you want to be more successful in the game (after you are consistently getting stuck anyway), upgrade your gear, upgrade your pet. Just because you don't have the best gear doesn't mean you're stuck using it all the time. I've farmed upper bosses. In my old gear it would be hard, but i made it easier by acquiring better gear and pets. I fully utilized all the spells in my capacity. I and my friends had great fun doing this over the years, not only farming but beating tough bosses because we had the tools we earned to fall back on.

It's KIs job to challenge you. You are the one responsible for meeting your challenges. If you want to keep your less useful gear with a limited pet then so be it. If you are not willing to upgrade yourself, ask help, read guides, use team up, thats up to you when you play the game. People are just making suggestions. Its up to you or whomever to decide what to do with it.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Feb 24, 2017 wrote:
Ok, This topic is getting ugly and sassy along with jumping to conclusions about other's intentions. I feel some of us need to relax before Dworgyn put a lock on this thread from all the fighting. A few of us including me gave good advice on how to make nerfed worlds and battles challenging to those who think the game is now too easy. Those who are complaining about the advice given to them, all I will say is: fine, have it your way; easy or hard, the choice is yours. Just remember you're the ones who will suffer if you're not willing helping yourself. I believe KI is doing everything they can to make this game enjoyable to everyone possible. It's up to us to do the rest.
Thats exactly the issue. Jessica is offering feedback on how KI can make the game more enjoyable for people like her without affecting the main game for everyone. Pro-mirage nerf debaters(including myself) advocated for a change affecting the main game for everyone.

Yet for some reason her desire is considered taboo even though it does not affect the main game. Yet the Mirage Nerf requests were seen as valid even though they did affect the main game. A clear double standard.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I just read more post from here about " Why should I downgrade when others can upgrade?" Downgrading is a lot easier than upgrading because hardcore players can downgrade to what she/he already has such as gear, pets, etc... or can get it. Casual players may have a harder time upgrading themselves to what they don't have; where do I find it, how do I get it and how many hours of game time do I have to put on hold to get what I need when I don't have that many hours to play in a weeks time. I'm a hardcore player and there are times when battles are too easy for me. So I carry a few extra gear, pets to downgrade myself when I need to and rarely use feints and I still have fun. Try it and give it good chance. It will make a big difference.

Survivor
Jan 17, 2017
anecorbie on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
Want hard core? Stop using all your super WW/DM farmed gear. Go "bare" or without pets. Heck even try to use only 3 or 4 pip spells or without a wand. You have the power to make this game as easy or hard as you want it, without demanding KI add new realms coded just for you.
i agree totally !

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Okay, wow.

I'm going to defend the original poster because she specifically was suggesting a separate server that members who were interested would pay to use. From that, I'm assuming anyone who wanted to join the hardcore version of the game would be paying to do so and all the rest of us would stay happily where we are. A hardcore server is something I would get behind and support even if I myself would never want to go there.

As for the sudden death aspect, seems a bit extreme. Maybe it would be risky enough if our wizard ended up in the "hospital" for 24-48 hrs after being severely injured and lost all the gear they were wearing at the time - looting is a thing, after all - but most people would not want to lose everything they'd invested in their wizard just because they lost one battle.

Then again, there was Oregon Trail back in the good old days when we'd suddenly die of cholera or lose everything in a river crossing.

YOU DIED.

Yep. That's how the game ended sometimes.

But there is a difference in that Oregon Trail was just a fun game that took a few hours to play and we never had anything invested in the outcome. W101 takes weeks (years!) of effort with questing, farming, gardening, PVP, pet hatching, etc. There are purchased homes, mounts, furniture, stitched gear, and so forth. People sink real money into W101. For that reason, I think a Wizard truly going 'toes up' if they lost a battle would be more $$ risk than most players are willing to take.

In other words, it's probably not economically feasible for KI to develop that kind of game mechanic.

Alia Misthaven

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
This idea of a separate server, how does it work? I know it's been suggested to just run the main game and have certain realms that are tougher than others, but with a separate server, are we talking about splitting the game completely where you would say have a separate loader for both options? Would it be like a Live and Test kind of thing? Because that's what I'm envisioning, with the exception that you would probably never be able to transfer character data between the two of them.

I've agreed with others on difficulty options before, but if that is what the idea is, then why would KI do that? They may as well make up an entirely different game as opposed to almost completely reprogramming W101 and creating a separate instance of the game, especially if your wizards can only exist on one or the other.

But again, maybe I'm misunderstanding. I have no reason to object to anything the OP is suggesting if it's not implemented in the regular game, I just don't know what the "separate server" suggestion means. Can anybody clarify if I'm completely wrong in what I'm picturing?

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
I think the best answer was given a few days ago...if you want it to be hardcore then delete your wizard with all his gear when he dies. Instant hardcore mode with no special redesigning effort required.

For those who are saying they should use their gear because they worked so hard for it, I agree...but consider if its truly hardcore all those pieces of gear, pets, etc will be gone with the first death. So your choice is to challenge yourself by limiting your gear usage or continue to push for something you already have in your power...IE hardcore via the delete button.

My personal preference would be for KI to work on useful things like replacing/modifying mostly worthless spells (detonate for example), modifying the way many of the stats currently work (like critical hit and pip conversion), expanding on pet capabilities and training opportunities and working to make pet derbies more popular/desirable to play.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
anecorbie on Feb 24, 2017 wrote:
It's a private playground for those who need the hardcore thrill and experience the danger/risk of losing a character you've leveled, bought gear for, trained pets and mounts. ( see, I completely understood that it's separate from the main game ).
Now how is KI supposed to pay for all that extra work? I don't see any hardcore player here offering to pay extra for this dubious privilege.
No, all I see are complaints that KI "nerfs" too hard, and demands that KI provides hardcore content. If KI caves to your demands, they may pass this extra cost across the board in higher membership rates or zone prices, excuse me, but I'm not going to pay for your "thrill".
As to your accusation that casuals don't farm, don't use team-up, and don't ask for help - I can only speak for myself. When I find time I do farm and the extremely low drop rate in most dungeons is discouraging.
I use team-up when I've given a dungeon an honest effort ( at least 2- 3 tries ) but team-up often leaves much to be desired ( we've all had those terrible experiences ).
I ask for help when my friends are on-line, often I don't even get a reply. I even offer my friends help when I see they're in a difficult dungeon.
Yes, I continue to maintain the onus is on you to make the game as hard as you want it and what's wrong with that?
Are you a KI market analyst? How do you know what extra costs this would entail or how those costs would be allocated? Last time I checked adding DM didn't increase membership cost.

How is it relevant if you don't want to pay for my thrill? I don't participate in derby, do many side quests or much housing. I could live without castle magic. By your logic I should get some discount since those activities don't appeal to my taste.

In addition, my comments about many casual players is not an accusation: this is a direct repetition of many posts I have seen on these boards by many users. Go look for yourself, you will see I'm not making it up.

What's wrong with the player making the game as hard as they want it? Nothing. However, the player should not have to RESORT to nerfing themselves to experience a challenge.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Feb 24, 2017 wrote:
I just read more post from here about " Why should I downgrade when others can upgrade?" Downgrading is a lot easier than upgrading because hardcore players can downgrade to what she/he already has such as gear, pets, etc... or can get it. Casual players may have a harder time upgrading themselves to what they don't have; where do I find it, how do I get it and how many hours of game time do I have to put on hold to get what I need when I don't have that many hours to play in a weeks time. I'm a hardcore player and there are times when battles are too easy for me. So I carry a few extra gear, pets to downgrade myself when I need to and rarely use feints and I still have fun. Try it and give it good chance. It will make a big difference.
You offered no support for why the onus should be on hardcore players to downgrade. So what if its easier for hardcore to downgrade? Why should they have to give up their EARNED advantage to enjoy the game?

If it's difficult for the casual player to upgrade doesn't it make more sense to advocate for easier access to upgrades so ALL wizards can be at their max potential?

If I'm an unhealthy weight it makes more sense to advocate for easier access to a better diet and exercise programs rather than telling healthy people to tie their legs together.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
DragonLady1818 on Feb 24, 2017 wrote:
Eric, did you ever stop to think that many of the Casual players have farmed so many times it has become a chore they don't care to continue? I have done quite a bit of farming and finally said enough. What is the point to spend days to weeks trying to get something that is next to impossible. WW used to have a reasonable drop rate and most wizards could have the full set of gear within 10 runs. Now, even that dungeon has become almost Zero drop rate. I have farmed for reagents, amulets and numerous other items in the game. Potent Trap may come easy for some but for others, it is next to impossible.

Many have used Team Up including me and have been burned. When you join someone in a battle whether by accident or intentional, YOU FINISH IT. Unfortunately, there are those who are extremely inconsiderate and will join a Team Up and as soon as a battle begins, they leave. This is what causes many to refuse to use that option again. I am one of those that won't use it again.

The fact that ALL the best gear has been placed as drops in the "hardcore" optional dungeons doesn't help those who are strictly casual players. It has become an absolute necessity for casual players to do those optional dungeons and run them for hours on end and still not be able to pick up a single piece of the "Best" gear. If KI wants to keep players interested in farming, then the drop rate has got to improve. As I have stated before, the term is "BAIT". If a player can pick up at least one piece of top gear within 3-5 runs, the chances are, they will come back again for more. But you can't expect players to run ANY dungeon 25-50 times mindlessly and keep coming back. That in itself is beyond ridiculous.

I am a little more than a casual player but not "hardcore" by any means. Like you, I do like to solo or dual box but I also like to be able to run with friends when the opportunity arises. There is a difference when playing with friends or strangers. Play styles are known with friends.
I agree with the concept with more easily accessible gear. My point to anercorbie was a repetition of many, many posts I have seen on the main boards saying exactly what I illustrated. People who refuse to farm, refuse to team up and refuse to utilize the vast resources available to them.

Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
I'm just going to avoid the arguments going on here and just throw in my opinion on this.

I think that it'd be super neat if there was some sort of harder difficulty that players could set themselves to, knowing that it will be a brutal experience. While I agree that one could simply unequip everything on them to add to the challenge, it's not exactly the same. What is being proposed here would allow players to continue to take every advantage they can (via gear, pets, etc) that they can, but even WITH that gear, they will find an extreme challenge. No back doors through which they can make it easier for themselves, but a real, reimagined version of the game if it were made for hardcore gamers. Of course, this isn't the family friendly vision of Wizard101, but it'd be nice for the players (likely to be the teenage to adult group of the player base) to have this option. Again, I understand why this is opposed by a lot of people, but if this were to come out, it really wouldn't affect anyone but those who seek the challenge. It's not like it would suddenly make the game impossible for the average gamer to play. I might not be a hardcore gamer, nor would I likely use this harder difficulty (unless it's just for down-time fun), but I would love to see this become available for those who desire this feature.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Wait, there is something wrong with paying customers asking for content they enjoy?

How many casual players come on the board "crying"(Your words not mine) for more easy content? Oh but it's ok for them to do that but it's bad when hardcore players do that....interesting.

The game developer isn't the one responsible for challenging you in their game? I'm going to reframe your last two paragraphs.

What I and others have suggested many times, is, if you want to be more successful in the game (after you are consistently getting stuck anyway), upgrade your gear, upgrade your pet. Just because you don't have the best gear doesn't mean you're stuck using it all the time. I've farmed upper bosses. In my old gear it would be hard, but i made it easier by acquiring better gear and pets. I fully utilized all the spells in my capacity. I and my friends had great fun doing this over the years, not only farming but beating tough bosses because we had the tools we earned to fall back on.

It's KIs job to challenge you. You are the one responsible for meeting your challenges. If you want to keep your less useful gear with a limited pet then so be it. If you are not willing to upgrade yourself, ask help, read guides, use team up, thats up to you when you play the game. People are just making suggestions. Its up to you or whomever to decide what to do with it.
I absolutely agree.

When I first started Wizard101, I had no idea what I was mostly doing, and I knew my stats weren't good as I was struggling in the higher level worlds. Did I complain and beg for a nerf? Nope! I did research and found out what the best gear for my level was. I worked to get it, and I even found a person who was willing to help me make a pet, and the game suddenly got a whole lot more manageable. I wasn't at all hardcore when I did this.

Then Darkmoor came out.

My first run took 3 hours, and I never wanted to do it again, and I also thought it was insanely difficult. My friends and me while doing it had no idea what we were doing, so we basically learned the cheats as we went through the Graveyard experiencing them first-hand. However, after our run, we compared what we learned and came up with a strategy to counter the cheats. We also looked up guides online.

Our next run took 2 hours. We learned even more from this run, and we continued to refine our strategies. We eventually got it down to 40 minutes per run.

My point is that you do NOT have to be hardcore to complete these dungeons. Darkmoor has already been nerfed 3+ times, so it is much more manageable now than it ever was before. Aegis and Indemnity even allow you to directly counter the cheats. The friends I went with aren't hardcore either, and I even went with random people who had no idea what they were doing, but were willing to join me.

There are so many guides online to help and assist people, but ironically, they refuse to use them. It isn't Kingsisle's fault that people find content difficult, it's the players'.

There is a common misconception going around, that being hardcore means having tons of time and the best gear available. That is incorrect. ANYONE can be hardcore, as long as they have the intelligence and are willing to try out new ideas to advance through new challenging content.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Goldenoak1 on Feb 25, 2017 wrote:
I think the best answer was given a few days ago...if you want it to be hardcore then delete your wizard with all his gear when he dies. Instant hardcore mode with no special redesigning effort required.

For those who are saying they should use their gear because they worked so hard for it, I agree...but consider if its truly hardcore all those pieces of gear, pets, etc will be gone with the first death. So your choice is to challenge yourself by limiting your gear usage or continue to push for something you already have in your power...IE hardcore via the delete button.

My personal preference would be for KI to work on useful things like replacing/modifying mostly worthless spells (detonate for example), modifying the way many of the stats currently work (like critical hit and pip conversion), expanding on pet capabilities and training opportunities and working to make pet derbies more popular/desirable to play.
Exactly, that's your personal preference. Mine and Jessica and many others is for KI to spend time working on content that appeals to us as well. Why should your preferences be given priority over mine?

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Eric Stormbringer on Feb 25, 2017 wrote:
You offered no support for why the onus should be on hardcore players to downgrade. So what if its easier for hardcore to downgrade? Why should they have to give up their EARNED advantage to enjoy the game?

If it's difficult for the casual player to upgrade doesn't it make more sense to advocate for easier access to upgrades so ALL wizards can be at their max potential?

If I'm an unhealthy weight it makes more sense to advocate for easier access to a better diet and exercise programs rather than telling healthy people to tie their legs together.
I'm not going to argue with you, What I wrote in my posts above said it clear enough and I'm not going to repeat myself. But I will say again: Fine, have it your way, easy or hard, the choice is yours. Just remember you're the one who will suffer if you refuse to help yourself by making your own challenge. I doubt very much KI will redesign the whole game to add a separate hardcore mode for a few of those who are not willing to help themselves create their own difficulties when it's already a challenge for others. This is a family game for all ages over 10 for different people with different playstyle. Not just for those with the best strategy and the know hows. What does unhealthy weight, diet and tie legs together have anything to do with what this what we're talking about. That's the same as comparing apples and oranges to Wizard101. Lets get back and track about this game. From all the posts I read on this topic is nothing but fighting. So I'm no longer going to discuss this matter to anyone. I'm done here.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
All of you are asking a lot of questions that some of us may not have the complete answers to and seems like it's causing more problems. I suggest you contact customer support or have Dworgyn or Vanessa M. (community leader) to help clear things up before it get too much out of hand.