Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet System Needs Help

AuthorMessage
Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Fable Finder on Oct 28, 2016 wrote:
I love the idea of pet training being tied with daily rewards!
I support additional ways you can train your pet; and adding this feature to daily rewards would be welcomed and appreciated.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Valkoor Skullhunte... on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:
I do garden. I do give snacks to my lower levels. There is only so much that it can do for me. The amount of snacks I have isn't really the problem, it's that they aren't enough. Yeah I have some nice ones that give me a good boost. Some. Once I run out, it's back to a measly handful of points. Getting from baby to adult really isn't a big deal, but adult to ancient is 500 points! Ten to maybe 30 points doesn't cut it! And 4 points a game?! The sheer number of games you have to play is ridiculous. I use the tools, and they help, but it feels like a drop in the bucket.

Anyway, I did acknowledge that pet snacks are great. I love pet snacks. I wouldn't bother with pets at all without them. Doesn't change the fact that raising pets is tedious and a chore. Especially if I'm breeding. Pet snacks run out quick. Well, good pet snacks run out quick.

Maybe I can raise a pet to ancient in one sitting. But I don't want to. It's too much work for possibly no good result, and then all those snacks and all that energy is wasted. I wish pet training wasn't a process I have to devote myself to, to get anywhere.

It's a problem with the system if I don't want do it. It's a game. It should be fun.
I appreciate players like yourself who only want to improve and make the game and playing experience better;
because this benefits everyone.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
The pet pavilion games are boring. I'm sorry, they just are.

I can shoot a pet from a cannon about 4-5 times tops and then I am ready to tear my hair out.

Can we please feed everything from the spell book including pet snacks?

Can there be a handy in world list of things each pet likes? I'd even pay for a book like that, which I could install in a wizard's house and click to read on demand. It could sit on an attractive lectern or just look like a regular book on a desk.

I can put up with the games that fill up the wizard's flask for energy because I don't have to do them too often, and it has a good, instant reward.
The pet games? How many do I have to play before I gain even one level for a pet? I have countless pets already. I don't want to just whine but it's untenable for me and I hope something can change with it. Thanks.

Survivor
Oct 07, 2009
I have an idea about snacks based on what was suggested earlier.

Instead of all snacks being immediate use, make a set of snacks as drop from battle only that can immediately be fed to your pet, not for use in pet mini game leveling. Make them varied from common drops to rare mega. Still keep all the other snacks for mini game leveling.

Combo pet leveling would takeout some of the tedium and still allow people to continue questing, boss battling w/o being stuck in the pet pavilion. And provide a way that is more social, instead of isolated in a mini game.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
doomlyfizzbucket on Oct 29, 2016 wrote:
I have an idea about snacks based on what was suggested earlier.

Instead of all snacks being immediate use, make a set of snacks as drop from battle only that can immediately be fed to your pet, not for use in pet mini game leveling. Make them varied from common drops to rare mega. Still keep all the other snacks for mini game leveling.

Combo pet leveling would takeout some of the tedium and still allow people to continue questing, boss battling w/o being stuck in the pet pavilion. And provide a way that is more social, instead of isolated in a mini game.
"And provide a way that is more social, instead of isolated in a mini game."

While I'd still like to be able to play a game at the wizard's home (as with the flask games), or at a sigil, I love your idea of a social group game.

I instantly imagined actually seeing the pets being animated and doing things upon which we could even have an animation of our wizard flipping a snack to the pet.

It could be almost like a battle circle? Or PvP? I dunno? KI are very creative I'm sure they can run with your idea, if it seems feasible to them or cost efficient.

I want to add some praise for KI, I love your pets in Wiz 101, and the ones which do not have a card, I use at the wizards' homes as actual pets. It's sad when they run up and my wizard can't do anything but look at the poor things, but, they seem happy enough. A mummy croc was dancing around the Sultan's Palace of one of my wizards. The dance animations you have for the pets are hilarious and fun.

I have the ghost woman as a pet in one wizard's house. She shimmies and dances. It's pretty funny since she normally looks so woebegotten.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I would prefer if all pet snacks were feedable from the book, not only ones dropped in battle. Just my opinion.

Reading that though, I also thought of this: I want to feed things to any pet I choose. Right now we can only feed things to the pet that is equipped at that moment.

I already have several or more pets per wizard, so it gets unwieldy feeding them let alone training them.

I fed most of my plant seeds to pets, because they really liked some of them but I might have gotten rid of good plants in the process. I haven't tried to farm yet, so I dunno. (Right now I am still too excited to explore the spiral.)

I would've much rather been able to click on a pet snack and then click on a pet name - sort of like the way we can send gifts and then choose the friend's name.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
Crown ball, 300 crowns, toss this ball at the pet and watch it run off and return it, as well as 2 points to the stat of the ball.. power, strenght, agility, willpower, intellegence

members gets 6 points for pet training...than the usual 4

once a pet is Epic, it has a 1/3 chance of gaining a point of xp, after winning a battle

Familiar Twice Potion, (minor) for 500 crowns and 1 hour, your pet gains 2x xp (major) for 1000 crowns and 30 minutes, pet xp and snack xp is 2x (pet membership 2x reward will null and void this potion"

there, 4 new ideas....

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
SparkleTude on Oct 29, 2016 wrote:
The pet pavilion games are boring. I'm sorry, they just are.

I can shoot a pet from a cannon about 4-5 times tops and then I am ready to tear my hair out.

Can we please feed everything from the spell book including pet snacks?

Can there be a handy in world list of things each pet likes? I'd even pay for a book like that, which I could install in a wizard's house and click to read on demand. It could sit on an attractive lectern or just look like a regular book on a desk.

I can put up with the games that fill up the wizard's flask for energy because I don't have to do them too often, and it has a good, instant reward.
The pet games? How many do I have to play before I gain even one level for a pet? I have countless pets already. I don't want to just whine but it's untenable for me and I hope something can change with it. Thanks.
I agree with this. By the way, Wizard101 Central tells you the snacks pets like with pretty good accuracy.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2011
camahawk on Oct 31, 2016 wrote:
Crown ball, 300 crowns, toss this ball at the pet and watch it run off and return it, as well as 2 points to the stat of the ball.. power, strenght, agility, willpower, intellegence

members gets 6 points for pet training...than the usual 4

once a pet is Epic, it has a 1/3 chance of gaining a point of xp, after winning a battle

Familiar Twice Potion, (minor) for 500 crowns and 1 hour, your pet gains 2x xp (major) for 1000 crowns and 30 minutes, pet xp and snack xp is 2x (pet membership 2x reward will null and void this potion"

there, 4 new ideas....
I love these idea! The Crown Ball is very original and fun. That way we could interact with our pets and give them some training. Question, would the ball be one time use only? Or have limit to how many times it can be used? Like, say I had a strength ball that could be used 5 times. But rather than them only being available with crowns, I think it would be cool if they were a dropped item like pet snacks. Maybe different levels of balls, like mega, ultra, etc...? The ones that could be bought with crowns would naturally be better than any one gotten in game. Maybe they would benefit multiple stats? Or just give a lot more experience than the in game balls? I really want this to be in the game, it's genius!

I'd prefer 8 to 10 points per game, rather than 6. Just a bit ago they did an event where members could get 8, so it shouldn't be a big deal to make it permanently 8 or 10. Two points more is not enough, and I feel like it wouldn't really relieve the tedium, ya know?

By winning a battle, what are you referring to? Pet racing? Or a battle with your wizard? I also really like this idea. It would make it so that normal questing can train your pets! Maybe every time you use a pet spell or your pet casts a spell, it could get xp? That would be so amazing! Not a lot of xp, but enough that you feel like your always do something to improve your pet. Maybe the amount of xp is equal to the amount of pips the spell uses, 0 pip spells giving 1xp?

I'm actually really surprised that there aren't already pet potions in the crown shop. I would lay out some serious cash to be able to get through pet training a lot faster.

I also really like the idea other people gave of being able to feed pets snacks straight from the book. Very nice.
And one thing I would really like to do is feed my pet Treasure Cards! Maybe an xp point per card? I have a lot of cards I never use and I'd like another way to get rid of them other than selling or trashing them.

Explorer
Jun 26, 2012
Stop complaining. Good pets aren't supposed to be easy to get (even though they aren't very difficult to get anyway). Fight troubled warriors in Grizzle for CP seeds if you really want mega snacks that bad, that's what I did. Every time the double gardening rewards come around your seeds double. I haven't run out of snacks since. The pet system is fine. You're not supposed to be able to get the "perfect pet" in a day, bud.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
Valkoor Skullhunte... on Nov 5, 2016 wrote:
I love these idea! The Crown Ball is very original and fun. That way we could interact with our pets and give them some training. Question, would the ball be one time use only? Or have limit to how many times it can be used? Like, say I had a strength ball that could be used 5 times. But rather than them only being available with crowns, I think it would be cool if they were a dropped item like pet snacks. Maybe different levels of balls, like mega, ultra, etc...? The ones that could be bought with crowns would naturally be better than any one gotten in game. Maybe they would benefit multiple stats? Or just give a lot more experience than the in game balls? I really want this to be in the game, it's genius!

I'd prefer 8 to 10 points per game, rather than 6. Just a bit ago they did an event where members could get 8, so it shouldn't be a big deal to make it permanently 8 or 10. Two points more is not enough, and I feel like it wouldn't really relieve the tedium, ya know?

By winning a battle, what are you referring to? Pet racing? Or a battle with your wizard? I also really like this idea. It would make it so that normal questing can train your pets! Maybe every time you use a pet spell or your pet casts a spell, it could get xp? That would be so amazing! Not a lot of xp, but enough that you feel like your always do something to improve your pet. Maybe the amount of xp is equal to the amount of pips the spell uses, 0 pip spells giving 1xp?

I'm actually really surprised that there aren't already pet potions in the crown shop. I would lay out some serious cash to be able to get through pet training a lot faster.

I also really like the idea other people gave of being able to feed pets snacks straight from the book. Very nice.
And one thing I would really like to do is feed my pet Treasure Cards! Maybe an xp point per card? I have a lot of cards I never use and I'd like another way to get rid of them other than selling or trashing them.
alright... the ball would be a 1 time idea.... but i see it being in a pack.. giving 7 balls.... and at random...
baby ball, 1
teen ball, 2
adult ball, 3
ancient ball, 4
epic, 5
mega, 6
ultra, 7

so if i throw my pet a Ultra Intelligence Crown Ball, it will get 7 points to it's intelligence stat

again like everyone... you want it to be over powered... 8 is already 2x xp.... 10 is mega snack level..... if they was 8/10 during 2x XP event... they're 16/20.... why i said members gets 6 points then 4..... it's not over powered, you still have to work, but it's still a perk....

when ya pet hits epic... it has a 1/3 chance of gaining xp from winning a battle, as in after you kill something, viva minions, or boss fight, or even pvp, your pet will say above it's head "Gain 1 XP" which in retrospect, running around commons killing everything, would kinda cheat this

and treasure cards, and reagents shouldnt be, since those are the rewards you get for feeding the pet...

HAPPY GRINDING

94 Cameron Icemancer
41 Cameron Lightmancer
22 Calamity Moon
Destiny Song

Survivor
Dec 31, 2011
Sean Firesword on Nov 11, 2016 wrote:
Stop complaining. Good pets aren't supposed to be easy to get (even though they aren't very difficult to get anyway). Fight troubled warriors in Grizzle for CP seeds if you really want mega snacks that bad, that's what I did. Every time the double gardening rewards come around your seeds double. I haven't run out of snacks since. The pet system is fine. You're not supposed to be able to get the "perfect pet" in a day, bud.
I don't expect the perfect pet in a day. It'd be boring if it was so easy to get a good pet. But it takes too long and it's boring. I have to force myself to train. Wizard101 is supposed to be a game, but pet training is the opposite of fun.

Besides, I have 6 characters. That's at least six pets I have to train. Then, if I really want a good pet, I have to breed. That means another 6 pets. But I probably didn't get all the traits I wanted, so I'm going to have to breed again. That's probably another 6 pets. At least 18 pets! I have to get them at least to adult right? If I like the pet, I'm more likely to go to ancient before I breed, but I'll use adult in my example. So, it takes approximately 125 points to get to teen, and 250 to adult. So, 325. Divide by, I'll say 10 to include snacks, and you get 33 games. Times 6, 198 games. That math isn't perfect of course because sometimes I would try to use snacks that would give me more than 10 points, but the point is there. Over 150 games just to get all my pets to adult. Then when I breed, I have to do it again. That another 150 games. So, for a minimum of about 18 to get to adult, it's 450 games. And when I FINALLY get a pet I really like, I'm going to want to go past adult, that means I have to play hundreds of more games!!

Are you kidding?! Let's not forget that the games are super boring. Yet more reasons to not train. Not only is the payoff horrible, but there is almost nothing convincing me to put myself through it! It's not so much that I can't get the snacks, I can. It's that even with the snacks, it's so tedious I don't want to do it.

Let me repeat this: Wizard101 is a game. It is supposed to be fun. It is not supposed to be a chore.

All I'm asking is for more points per game. Would you actually complain about it if it happened? Be happy for the possibly of something improving in the game we both love.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
It is a bit too difficult to get pets with okay talents for new players, it does need to be fixed some how.

Delver
Jul 17, 2009
The pet system does need help. Sometimes KI forgets this is a family game and kids play too and they normally do not get time to be hard core gamers, so having all the best perks being for hard core gamers gets a lot of them to quit playing, and then KI loses revenue. So if there is a way for them fo revamp it and make it more rewarding for the causual kid gamer that would be awesome.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2011
mittensk on Nov 15, 2016 wrote:
The pet system does need help. Sometimes KI forgets this is a family game and kids play too and they normally do not get time to be hard core gamers, so having all the best perks being for hard core gamers gets a lot of them to quit playing, and then KI loses revenue. So if there is a way for them fo revamp it and make it more rewarding for the causual kid gamer that would be awesome.
That's what I think too. Wizard101 is a family game, there are family packages and payment plans, and the game is advertised to kids.

But no kid is going to be training their pets. They wouldn't have the attention span or dedication for it, at least for the majority. I barely have the attention span for it! The games are boring, no one actually wants to spend a lot of time playing them, and the benefits of pets wouldn't really be important for a casual gamer. Casual gamers certainly wouldn't be breeding and breeding to get the perfect pet!

So in that way, the pet system doesn't even suit their demographic. They look cool, but that is basically their only draw to kids and causal gamers.

I feel kind of like KI has sort of pushed the system aside. Like they designed and implemented it, but never went back to it after that. Just some small changes would make me happy!

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
how about this, menu chat players (under 13) has 4 poins
text chat (13-17) has 6 points
and open chat (18+) has 8points.... so it fills for the age's mindset

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Fable Finder on Nov 2, 2016 wrote:
I agree with this. By the way, Wizard101 Central tells you the snacks pets like with pretty good accuracy.
Thanks for the tip.

I have so many pets now! I keep winning them. I got some from packs.

It is hard to keep track of what they all like to eat. I need to devote a whole day to just looking up what to feed them, and do it, because there are things I'd like to get rid of from my stuff. I've been keeping those to feed pets.

Nightmare loves pink dandelions...that's good because I had a lot of those. But it still says ZERO on its stats. (The one that hovers over its head.)