Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Gardening Spell: Hibernate & Other Questions

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
This has been suggested before: A spell that makes it so that your pets don't acquire new needs. So if there is a day or to that you miss your plants don't die on you. I KNOW that plants only acquire needs if you visit them but I still think it would be nice convenience. (So don't jump on me saying to not visit my house SeeThe42 et al.) This is because I hate having to go to a different house to do gardening/ I check the Daily Assignment thing at my house do that and log off. So I have a few plants that keep trying to die. I'll revive them and then they die. (I don't like waiting for the Animations in Gardening and Fishing, but mostly Gardening.) It would be nice to be able to Revive more than one too, but that is another thing. I also am not entirely sure where one purchases Second Spring. Also does it still let you harvest if you cast Second Spring? Thanks All.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Second Spring only makes Elder Plants appear to be Mature. So they are colored instead of white. Once you cast Second Spring on them, they will stay looking like Mature plants until you harvest them and will never get needs. The spell is purely for looks. The plant stays Elder until you harvest it just the same as a normal Elder, it just looks pretty. The spell is sold by Roger the Shrubber in Avalon.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
What you're saying sounds like something altogether different than what others have suggested. Most others thought their plants would die if they didn't log in for a long time.

This sounds like you want your plants to not acquire needs while you're visiting your houses frequently.

If I understand you correctly, the only way something like that works is if you put your plants in some sort of stasis. And if that's the case, then that means they can't progress neither. If they get put into stasis, they come out in the same condition they got put in, including progress and any needs that were present at the time.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
exp613 on Jul 6, 2016 wrote:
This has been suggested before: A spell that makes it so that your pets don't acquire new needs. So if there is a day or to that you miss your plants don't die on you. I KNOW that plants only acquire needs if you visit them but I still think it would be nice convenience. (So don't jump on me saying to not visit my house SeeThe42 et al.) This is because I hate having to go to a different house to do gardening/ I check the Daily Assignment thing at my house do that and log off. So I have a few plants that keep trying to die. I'll revive them and then they die. (I don't like waiting for the Animations in Gardening and Fishing, but mostly Gardening.) It would be nice to be able to Revive more than one too, but that is another thing. I also am not entirely sure where one purchases Second Spring. Also does it still let you harvest if you cast Second Spring? Thanks All.
Have you tried putting your plants indoors and keep the daily assignment item outdoors? When you visit that item, it shouldnt affect your indoor plants at all, because you didnt visit that part of your house. if all you do is long on, do the daily assignment, and log off, then the only time you'll ever have to worry about plants dying due to not givig it needs, is if you visit your bank in your house. You can also TP to your dorm FROM your house, and if you keep your dorm free of plants, you can visit your bank that way; which takes the same amount of game loading time as walking thru the door from the outside to the inside of your house

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
exp613 on Jul 6, 2016 wrote:
I suggested hibernation this not too long ago, but for other reasons. I still personally think it's a good idea.

As far as second spring goes, it actually does two things. One, it keeps your elder plant in a mature form, which you can harvest whenever you feel like it.

Second, is that the plant is not just for LOOKS. It still acts as a "like" or "dislike" for neighboring plants.

All my gardens of Evil Magma Peas have a single Boom Shroom next to them in second spring form. My peas have a permanent like nearby as soon as they are planted. :)

All my gardens of King Parsley have a Helephant Ear next to them in second spring form. Another permanent like.

I personally wouldn't mind if the seed planting/gardening casting animation was faster.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Reckless Cedric on Jul 9, 2016 wrote:
I suggested hibernation this not too long ago, but for other reasons. I still personally think it's a good idea.

As far as second spring goes, it actually does two things. One, it keeps your elder plant in a mature form, which you can harvest whenever you feel like it.

Second, is that the plant is not just for LOOKS. It still acts as a "like" or "dislike" for neighboring plants.

All my gardens of Evil Magma Peas have a single Boom Shroom next to them in second spring form. My peas have a permanent like nearby as soon as they are planted. :)

All my gardens of King Parsley have a Helephant Ear next to them in second spring form. Another permanent like.

I personally wouldn't mind if the seed planting/gardening casting animation was faster.
That's not really a benefit of Second Spring. My Evil Magma Peas have a permanent like next to them as well. It's a dead Boom Shroom. Plants count as like/dislike whatever state they are in. My Couch Potato gardens also have permanent like dead King Parsley next to them.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
seethe42 on Jul 9, 2016 wrote:
That's not really a benefit of Second Spring. My Evil Magma Peas have a permanent like next to them as well. It's a dead Boom Shroom. Plants count as like/dislike whatever state they are in. My Couch Potato gardens also have permanent like dead King Parsley next to them.
It's still a benefit of using the spell. Most posts about second spring fail to mention it.

I prefer not having my gardening indicator being red if my active garden doesn't have any dying plants in it.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Reckless Cedric on Jul 10, 2016 wrote:
It's still a benefit of using the spell. Most posts about second spring fail to mention it.

I prefer not having my gardening indicator being red if my active garden doesn't have any dying plants in it.
Good point. There have been times where my big gardening spells missed a corner of my gardening plot because I didn't centre it correctly. If the garden icon doesn't change to green, I won't know to take a walk around to see what I missed.

I've never used Second Spring. Does it keep the plant in permanent Mature status, or does it regrow, accumulate needs, and eventually progress to Elder again? I've got a very small Sword Fern garden right now with a Honey Sickle in Elder status that I just don't ever harvest.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
High Five Ghost on Jul 11, 2016 wrote:
Good point. There have been times where my big gardening spells missed a corner of my gardening plot because I didn't centre it correctly. If the garden icon doesn't change to green, I won't know to take a walk around to see what I missed.

I've never used Second Spring. Does it keep the plant in permanent Mature status, or does it regrow, accumulate needs, and eventually progress to Elder again? I've got a very small Sword Fern garden right now with a Honey Sickle in Elder status that I just don't ever harvest.
It retains the looks of its mature state, though acts like an elder. It won't accrue anymore needs or pest.

Additionally you will always receive a screen prompt about being sure you want to harvest it if you press on it, or "X" accidentally by it.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Reckless Cedric on Jul 10, 2016 wrote:

It's not a benefit at all. Having dead plants doesn't show as red.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
seethe42 on Jul 13, 2016 wrote:
Do you mean when second spring is casted on it? Dead plants are red icon in my gardening experience?

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I suppose moving them indoors is a solution. I don't know if it will let me do soil spells inside though, so I might have to buy a bunch of pots ugh!

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
seethe42 on Jul 13, 2016 wrote:
We're going to have to agree to disagree. Use it or don't.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
exp613 on Jul 13, 2016 wrote:
I suppose moving them indoors is a solution. I don't know if it will let me do soil spells inside though, so I might have to buy a bunch of pots ugh!
Well then, another idea would be to use your dorm as the primary "port home" option and use teleporters to get to your other houses from there. By keeping your dorm room completely empty, you nveer have to fear messing up plants, can access your bank easily, AND you can use the teleporters to go to whatever house it is you need to. The other thing is, you can go outside your dorm and talk to Aegon Stanz to get the daily assignment as well.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
exp613 on Jul 13, 2016 wrote:
Do you mean when second spring is casted on it? Dead plants are red icon in my gardening experience?
Dying plants are red. Once dead they show as nothing because dead plants have no needs.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Hmm okay, that makes sense I guess. I personally have not ever encountered that because my plants are dying and dead most of the time lol. Take away my gardening license, I let my real life garden's lettuce bolt and that is NASTY stuff. Don't let your lettuce bolt.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2013
As someone who gardens for pet snacks, I would love to be able to hibernate my plants during a double pet rewards promotion.

I have all these snacks, and never enough energy to actually train my pets.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
fairysaddle on Aug 1, 2016 wrote:
As someone who gardens for pet snacks, I would love to be able to hibernate my plants during a double pet rewards promotion.

I have all these snacks, and never enough energy to actually train my pets.
just dont harvest them till it's over. no need to hibernate anything

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
seethe42 on Jul 21, 2016 wrote:
Dying plants are red. Once dead they show as nothing because dead plants have no needs.
I didn't quite realize that. Believe in my case I usually had plants dying/dead in a mixed combination so I didn't notice that's how it worked.

Good to know!