Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Jade gear needs to be changed

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 31, 2014
You've heard it a million times, Jade gear is overpowered. But have we ever questioned why it's overpowered? Is it because it simply has too much resist? Or is it the healing output it's capable of? Well, it's both, but let's look at the bigger picture. I want to talk about healers and tanks in MMO games.
Healers are essential to any team. Without constant healing the team will be overwhelmed by persistent damage. The DPS cannot sustain themselves with their low resist and outgoing healing as they're set up to have as much damage/critical/pierce as possible, so they rely on a dedicated healer to keep them going.
Tanks are a huge asset as their bulkiness and attributes allow them to sponge burst damage that the rest of the team isn't capable of surviving, as well as being able to routinely keep the team fortified against AoE damage they can't avoid. Tanks are the anchors of their team.
What differentiates healers from tanks in an MMO? Healers are typically as squishy as the DPS, they cannot invest in too much defense without sacrificing potential healing. Not in Wizard101 however, thanks to Jade gear.
Jade gear provides not only incredible defense, but immense healing output as well. This creates an issue in team composition where a tank isn't needed to prevent the healer from being incapacitated, in most situations. As long as the healer doesn't go down, the team won't go down, and the healer will never go down if they're wearing Jade. Jade gear is so strong, tanks themselves use it! You have the bulk you need along with even more healing output!
Needless to say, Jade gear needs to be reworked. I don't think it needs to be removed from the game, it just needs its stats adjusted to fit a particular playstyle. I'll leave it up to the balancing team to figure out whether they want Jade gear to be made for tanks, or for healers, but not both.

Survivor
Apr 19, 2010
Why not up everyone's pierce? JK thats a recipe for disaster, but some extra pierce could be nice W

Always wondered why Jade gear was not banned from pvp. I think that the tank schools like ice should automatically have jade-like stats over the current 150%+ damage because it fits their schools fantasy but they should be able to turn into a tanky striker if they chose to do so. Just not 70% resist w/ 150% damage lol.

Now anyone being able to take pvp matches hostage as a jade is awful. Everyone should be able to be tanky if they wanted to but some schools more than others.

Overall I might just be ignorant as I haven't been doing as much pvp as I used to but I do agree the gear needs to be reworked (at least for PvP).