Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What are spell ranks?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 03, 2012
Hello. I know, I've been playing all this time and and don't know what spell ranks are. It just seemed confusing to learn in addition to pip cost, levels, boss ranks, and damage when I first started out. If someone could briefly explain spell ranks and/or point me in the direction of a guide that tells what spells are what rank, I would be grateful.

P.s. I am trying to teach someone to play and I want them to know too.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Explorer
Mar 28, 2009
Mackenzie Moondrea... on May 31, 2022 wrote:
Hello. I know, I've been playing all this time and and don't know what spell ranks are. It just seemed confusing to learn in addition to pip cost, levels, boss ranks, and damage when I first started out. If someone could briefly explain spell ranks and/or point me in the direction of a guide that tells what spells are what rank, I would be grateful.

P.s. I am trying to teach someone to play and I want them to know too.
Spell Ranks are just an easy way of saying how many pips it costs to cast a Spell. 0 Rank spells don't cost any pips. Imp is a Rank 1 spell because it costs 1 pip. Leprechaun is Rank 2, etc.

I hope that helps.

Defender
Feb 03, 2012
Thanks for the Answers! I get it now. But I still want to know, how do shadow pips effect the rank? Do they just add to the regular pips to equal the rank?

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Mackenzie Moondrea... on Jun 3, 2022 wrote:
Thanks for the Answers! I get it now. But I still want to know, how do shadow pips effect the rank? Do they just add to the regular pips to equal the rank?
Last I checked, 1 Shadow Pip = 5 Normal Pips. This might be wrong, though.

Explorer
Mar 28, 2009
Mackenzie Moondrea... on Jun 3, 2022 wrote:
To my knowledge, Shadow Pip requirements for a spell do not affect the Rank, only the fact that it is a Shadow spell.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Lookit Light on Jun 3, 2022 wrote:
Last I checked, 1 Shadow Pip = 5 Normal Pips. This might be wrong, though.
I believe they said in either a dev diary, or a KI live, that a shadow pip = 3 pips. So, our Darkmoor spells are 8 pips (5 regular pips +1 shadow pip).

With a little googling, THIS LINK states "In the summer 2020 Test Realm, KI has confirmed that one Shadow Pip now equals 3.6 pips."

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I would say that you still count the normal pips, but you add shadow at the end so a Rank 5 shadow spell etc.

Shadow Pips used to be worth 5 pips, but yes they updated it to be worth an average of 3.6 after the spell changes.

Defender
Feb 03, 2012
dayerider on Jun 7, 2022 wrote:
I believe they said in either a dev diary, or a KI live, that a shadow pip = 3 pips. So, our Darkmoor spells are 8 pips (5 regular pips +1 shadow pip).

With a little googling, THIS LINK states "In the summer 2020 Test Realm, KI has confirmed that one Shadow Pip now equals 3.6 pips."
Thank you. I always google everything I want to know about Wizard101 and I myself couldn't find find anything about spell rank, so I didn't think to google shadow pips.