Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help Make W101 Epilepsy Friendly!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 02, 2012
I played W101 all the time as a kid. When I was 18, I was in a car crash that left me with TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) as well as Epilepsy.

My Epilepsy has greatly limited the games I am able to play safely ("safely" is without major concern or triggers for seizures) and W101 has been the closest I've gotten to an Epilepsy-safe game, but it's nowhere near safe yet.

I now find myself unable to enter areas (ie. Triton Ave) or play for more than 30 minutes without my head burning. We really, really, really need a flash suppressing mode (a mode that turns off flashing elements)!

Here's some of the things I suggest suppressing in this mode:
- lightning elements (ie. Torrence in Ravenwood, Triton Ave, spells)
- blinking elements (ie. blinking turn dial during combat)
- flashing elements (ie. brief flashes when certain spells hit the player)

I've seen it suggested before but I just have to bring it back up again because it's extremely important and honestly I'm so hindered at the moment. I know some of my friends have said the lightning in Triton Ave gives them migraines too, so I think this could benefit anyone, with or without Epilepsy.

Please, devs and W101 community, do your thing!

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Undead Redhead on Dec 28, 2021 wrote:
I played W101 all the time as a kid. When I was 18, I was in a car crash that left me with TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) as well as Epilepsy.

My Epilepsy has greatly limited the games I am able to play safely ("safely" is without major concern or triggers for seizures) and W101 has been the closest I've gotten to an Epilepsy-safe game, but it's nowhere near safe yet.

I now find myself unable to enter areas (ie. Triton Ave) or play for more than 30 minutes without my head burning. We really, really, really need a flash suppressing mode (a mode that turns off flashing elements)!

I've seen it suggested before but I just have to bring it back up again because it's extremely important and honestly I'm so hindered at the moment. I know some of my friends have said the lightning in Triton Ave gives them migraines too, so I think this could benefit anyone, with or without Epilepsy.

I've always been concerned about the presence of strobe lighting in this game precisely because I know that a number of epileptics like yourself play Wizard101. You raise a very valid point, Undead Redhead, and I absolutely support this argument.

I am well aware of the presence of flashing lighting effect in this game. So far as I am aware, they are most commonly seen by Wizards in the current animation for when a Wizard is stunned, as well as certain spells related to the Storm School. (Some examples include Tempest, Insane Bolt, Glowbug Squall, Rusalka's Wrath and Scion of Storm.) It is also used in certain locations of the game, like around Torrence in Ravenwood, and the Storm Titan Maelstrom in Empyrea.

I am aware that this game is intended to be an inclusive and enjoyable experience for as many people as possible. Thus, I argue that a flash-free game setting is not only a very good idea, but that it is necessary and should be enabled by default to ensure a proper playing experience for the epileptics amongst the playerbase. I would be delighted if this became a reality in this game's next update (hint, hint, Kingsisle.)

Explorer
Jun 19, 2010
I tend to agree with you.
I have vision problems and some areas are almost impossible for me to go to and stay for more than several minutes. Some areas are way too dark, even with my computer and game controls set at max brightness. Then with those settings the next area I go to is way too bright. And the sudden "flashy things" really set my vision off for several minutes. Not to mention the physical pain I endure until my eyes calm down.
I have been playing Wizard101 since 2010. In the past few years the "upgraded art work" areas seem to be harder and harder for me to quest in due to the enhanced real dark or extreme bright plus flashy things.
I have tried using the "classic mode" but it does not revert to like it used to be, it often includes the enhancements that bother my eyes.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the settings could include a slider setting that would both brighten the dark areas and tone down the too bright areas. And another slider to control or negate the flashy things.
Wizard101 used to be by entertainment after supper - every night I would play for hours. Not anymore. Oh, I log on every night, but often I barely make it through tending my gardens - yes even they can now be too flashy for my eyes.
I think the developers for the artistic aspects of the game need to read up on the effects of bright flashy things on the brain. Many years back Discos learned the hard way with the strobe lights on the mirror ball. This game is now creating similar effects. It markets itself as a safe game for the youth, yet the visual effects can be anything but safe for a developing brain.

Explorer
Sep 25, 2016
I agree 100%! I don't have epilepsy, but I am autistic which can make my eyes sensitive to flashing images. I think that a flash suppressing mode in Wizard101 could help make the game more accessible to all.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
So I tried to look out for flashing lights while playing last year (AKA the other day, happy 2022 to all), and... yes, I noticed quite a lot of flashing elements. Here were a few that I spotted:

. The new effects that occur when a Blade is used.

. The effects around Torrence, the Storm Tree in Ravenwood.

. The Wyldfire and Darkwind animations for when they first appear around the ring.

. The effects around the Storm Titan Maelstrom in Husk.

. The effects for when Ice Wyvern and its variants are cast.

Not to mention, there are several risks from what I believe to have the most flashing elements, spells from the Storm school of magic. There are a LOT of flashing elements here, so I'd like to mention what I believe should have their flashing effects toned down significantly.

. Queen Calypso (Seriously, this one flashes so much it annoys me as a non-epileptic)

. Scion of Storm

. Wild & Insane Bolt.

. Tempest

. Rusalka's Wrath

. Iron Sultan

. Storm Shark

Survivor
Jan 02, 2012
Lookit Light on Jan 1, 2022 wrote:
So I tried to look out for flashing lights while playing last year (AKA the other day, happy 2022 to all), and... yes, I noticed quite a lot of flashing elements. Here were a few that I spotted:

. The new effects that occur when a Blade is used.

. The effects around Torrence, the Storm Tree in Ravenwood.

. The Wyldfire and Darkwind animations for when they first appear around the ring.

. The effects around the Storm Titan Maelstrom in Husk.

. The effects for when Ice Wyvern and its variants are cast.

Not to mention, there are several risks from what I believe to have the most flashing elements, spells from the Storm school of magic. There are a LOT of flashing elements here, so I'd like to mention what I believe should have their flashing effects toned down significantly.

. Queen Calypso (Seriously, this one flashes so much it annoys me as a non-epileptic)

. Scion of Storm

. Wild & Insane Bolt.

. Tempest

. Rusalka's Wrath

. Iron Sultan

. Storm Shark
Your replies have seriously made me feel heard and appreciated, as for all of the replies thus far in this thread.

Genuinely, thank you to everyone for taking the time out of your day to reply. And thank you, Lookit Light, for taking the time to observe the flashing elements that could be bothersome or even seizure inducing. I strongly agree with everything you've said and all that you've listed!

Mini update:

I find myself having to cover my eyes with one hand before any spells are cast, which means I'm missing out on a huge part of the game!

A few more irritating elements in specific I've noticed:

• Wrath of Zeus
  • Reindeer Knight (The lights behind him don't flash but they are irritating, for some odd reason)
  • Items with lightning, like Zeus' Lightning Striker
  • Mounts like Storm Whirlwind

I'll try to continue this list and post them here as I find more.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Undead Redhead on Jan 6, 2022 wrote:
Your replies have seriously made me feel heard and appreciated, as for all of the replies thus far in this thread.

Genuinely, thank you to everyone for taking the time out of your day to reply. And thank you, Lookit Light, for taking the time to observe the flashing elements that could be bothersome or even seizure inducing. I strongly agree with everything you've said and all that you've listed!

Mini update:

I find myself having to cover my eyes with one hand before any spells are cast, which means I'm missing out on a huge part of the game!

A few more irritating elements in specific I've noticed:

• Wrath of Zeus
  • Reindeer Knight (The lights behind him don't flash but they are irritating, for some odd reason)
  • Items with lightning, like Zeus' Lightning Striker
  • Mounts like Storm Whirlwind

I'll try to continue this list and post them here as I find more.
You flatter me. Happy to see your delight.

Here are few more flashing elements that I've seen:

. Frost Giant, Thunder Snake, Scarecrow, Lightning Bats, Rain of Fire and others have sudden flashing elements. This same problem also exists in exclusive 'Lore' spells like Celestial Intervention, Hammer of Thor, Goat Monk and Grendel's Amends, as well as more recent 'Shadow-enhanced' spells like Sound of Musicology, Blast Off!, Call of Khrulu and Hungry Caterpillar.

. The entrance to the Trial of the Spheres dungeon in Celestia Base Camp, Celestia is incredibly bright and flashy; I'm genuinely concerned that even looking at it could induce dangerous seizures.

. Certain cutscenes, like those in the game's introduction or those in Empyrea, contain either flashing elements or bright backgrounds.

. I've said this already, but the visual effects that play when a Wizard or enemy is stunned contain extensive strobe lighting. Considering that this animation can play multiple times, it is bothersome for most and dangerous for seizure-vulnerable people.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
Undead Redhead on Dec 28, 2021 wrote:

Undead Redhead, I was wondering if the setting in the book for the sparkles helps at all if you turn it off?