Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Needed Loremaster Change

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I have watched the debates, and grief over Loremaster for years now, and decided to propose a change that should make everyone happy. She has spells that everyone seems to want, but there seems to be no reliable path to get what you want other than pure luck. I have seen friends that have farmed for years, and still not received their drops, while others (like my friend Andrew) got Loremaster, and Savage Paw, for his balance on three measly attempts.
( Kicks Andrew). I propose a change to the way spells are earned. No more random drops of spells you probably don't want. Instead you will be rewarded with a token or such instead.( still a very rare drop) You may choose to spend this token on any of Loremasters available spells. The cost of purchase in tokens will probably vary according to KI's value of the selected spell. By doing this, you would eliminate the futility and frustrations most people feel while farming her. I'm guessing more people would also participate since they could see an attainable goal to reach their spell. It's a simple change, but one that should produce a beneficial change for KI and its players.

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
Survivor
Dec 31, 2009
Also agree. I started farming her on my death a couple days ago. I'd only done about 4 team ups prior to this so it's easy to keep track of my runs on her - I'm nearly at 120.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2010
Om my gosh yes! This is sooooo needed; KI please implement this, or something like it a.s.a.p.

Defender
Jul 26, 2013
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Intrepidatius on Jul 6, 2021 wrote:
I have watched the debates, and grief over Loremaster for years now, and decided to propose a change that should make everyone happy. She has spells that everyone seems to want, but there seems to be no reliable path to get what you want other than pure luck. I have seen friends that have farmed for years, and still not received their drops, while others (like my friend Andrew) got Loremaster, and Savage Paw, for his balance on three measly attempts.
( Kicks Andrew). I propose a change to the way spells are earned. No more random drops of spells you probably don't want. Instead you will be rewarded with a token or such instead.( still a very rare drop) You may choose to spend this token on any of Loremasters available spells. The cost of purchase in tokens will probably vary according to KI's value of the selected spell. By doing this, you would eliminate the futility and frustrations most people feel while farming her. I'm guessing more people would also participate since they could see an attainable goal to reach their spell. It's a simple change, but one that should produce a beneficial change for KI and its players.
yup, I agree whole heartily. I mentioned this same thing on THIS THREAD

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
dayerider on Aug 6, 2021 wrote:
yup, I agree whole heartily. I mentioned this same thing on THIS THREAD
It was a great post that I missed due to me being an uber slacker, but the point remains : fix what needs to be fixed, and you will have a happier customer base. I will never understand why they are so slow for change. They have literally been their own worst enemy at times. It just boggles the mind.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Intrepidatius on Aug 12, 2021 wrote:
It was a great post that I missed due to me being an uber slacker, but the point remains : fix what needs to be fixed, and you will have a happier customer base. I will never understand why they are so slow for change. They have literally been their own worst enemy at times. It just boggles the mind.
no harm no foul. They have hundreds of thousands of posts. not only will things get missed, but who cares (from our perspective) if we suggest something more than once? I agree they do take a VERY long time when implementing fan suggested changes, which absolutely boggles. I imagine some of it is deciding which things to add, and while we can argue for or against one thing or another, none of us work for KI.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
I feel like every month, there's another post about issues with rng farming on the Loremaster. I'm still shocked that KI hasn't done anything about it. I've done around 150 runs or so and I've only gotten Krampus (on my Death too).

I'm really afraid that they might try to move into a spellement drop system. I really would rather not see that. KI has been a bit notorious for making spellements really difficult to get (apart from the Karamelle spells) so I'm afraid we might just get 1 spellement drop per fight for a random spell. I would rather see a token system like you mentioned where we can use it towards whatever spell we want.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2016
This is a great idea. At the very least, limit it to getting only the spells for your school. I can't tell you. How many times I help other players grind Loremaster on my Life and ended up learning spells I don't want or need, like Catalan and Handsome Fomori. I need Pigsie and Ratatoskr's Spin, but have yet to find even one treasure card for them.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
stevp on Aug 16, 2021 wrote:
I feel like every month, there's another post about issues with rng farming on the Loremaster. I'm still shocked that KI hasn't done anything about it. I've done around 150 runs or so and I've only gotten Krampus (on my Death too).

I'm really afraid that they might try to move into a spellement drop system. I really would rather not see that. KI has been a bit notorious for making spellements really difficult to get (apart from the Karamelle spells) so I'm afraid we might just get 1 spellement drop per fight for a random spell. I would rather see a token system like you mentioned where we can use it towards whatever spell we want.
I dont mind if they go to a Spellement drop instead. All of her spells' spellements should be bank shareable, so that would make ti easier. As long as the spellement drop rates are better than the current spell drop rate, I'm fine with it. We'd at least have some noticable success even if we dont get the spells right away. It should also be on a known path that for the first X months, new spells (from packs) wont go to crafting/spellement. After that time, the flood gates open and let the chaos reign.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
SasuSaku9709 on Aug 16, 2021 wrote:
This is a great idea. At the very least, limit it to getting only the spells for your school. I can't tell you. How many times I help other players grind Loremaster on my Life and ended up learning spells I don't want or need, like Catalan and Handsome Fomori. I need Pigsie and Ratatoskr's Spin, but have yet to find even one treasure card for them.
this is something else we've asked for; to start the drops with our school spells before moving on to the others. This way, we get the "important ones" out of the way first. On my death, who has the most spells out of any on my account, it has gotten:

Krampus (I dont remember if I got this BEFORE getting all my death spells or not)
Winter Moon
Handsome Formori
Luminous Weaver
Headless Horseman (gotten after all the other death spells, during Halloween farming)
Deer Knight (I finally wound up crafting this cause I couldnt be bothered waiting anymore for it to drop)
Lord of Knight (gotten before Deer Knight)
Loremaster
Samoorai
Savage paw

That's 9 spells BEFORE I gave up and crafted it. That was back when LM only had 14 spells, unlike now where she has like 20 or so.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I would like to see KI comment on this. In all the years I have seen Loremaster posts, I have never seen someone from KI respond to it. I would like to see an official response. Perhaps Sparck or Maceryn could give us a little feedback? It would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
Intrepidatius on Aug 24, 2021 wrote:
I would like to see KI comment on this. In all the years I have seen Loremaster posts, I have never seen someone from KI respond to it. I would like to see an official response. Perhaps Sparck or Maceryn could give us a little feedback? It would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Intrepidatius!

I saw that this has been getting a lot of traction and people have been talking about Loremaster changes for a while now. Especially since the amount of spells she drops kept increasing, meaning less and less of a chance to get the one you need/want.

I want to let you and everyone on this thread know that, because of the traction, I have added it to a list of potential ideas that can be seen by everyone at KI. I'm going to first propose the idea of making it to where she will drop the spells of the wizard's school before dropping anything else. This would most likely be the least technically challenging way and fastest way to make some progress here.

That being said nothing will ever be 100% confirmed until it's been in test and comes out in game, and that process can take a while.

I hope this helps shed some light!

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Maceryn on Aug 24, 2021 wrote:
Hi Intrepidatius!

I saw that this has been getting a lot of traction and people have been talking about Loremaster changes for a while now. Especially since the amount of spells she drops kept increasing, meaning less and less of a chance to get the one you need/want.

I want to let you and everyone on this thread know that, because of the traction, I have added it to a list of potential ideas that can be seen by everyone at KI. I'm going to first propose the idea of making it to where she will drop the spells of the wizard's school before dropping anything else. This would most likely be the least technically challenging way and fastest way to make some progress here.

That being said nothing will ever be 100% confirmed until it's been in test and comes out in game, and that process can take a while.

Thank you.

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
Hi Intrepidatius!

It was refreshing to see an admin respond. Far too many important posts over the years were not addressed. Having a well articulated response reaffirms my commitment to the game that my family loves.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2009
Hi Intrepidatius!

Maybe a good alteration to the Loremaster drops could also be dropping the reagents needed for the spells? It seems fitting that she'd drop things that could be used to craft the spells, at least, and it could give some reason to farm her other than just getting the spells since the reagent drops could be farmed for other crafted items.

Survivor
Jul 23, 2018
I disagree. I am a fairly new player and this is my first time on the forums, but i have been playing for a couple years now and have made it to Polaris. I had to stop playing because a lot of aspects of the game got way to frustrating for me but recent updates have convinced me to come back, but my biggest issue still exists. drop rates, I understand that a game like this needs to make money so they cant just give away the goods and i understand that a certain level of difficulty is needed to make a drop feel legitimate but random chances at a drop are not good form of that.
At the end of the the day it is a game meant for entertainment and and a game should reward you for playing it but when I put weeks into farming something just to get nothing it feels more like a spit in the face.

This is mainly why i stopped playing for so long I farmed Darkmoore for sooooo long for a chance at the amulet and never got a single one and yes farmed Loremaster, specifically for deer knight for my death wizard. but really how much time do you expect me to put in before I becomes ridiculous. after a certain point it becomes discouraging and makes me not want to keep wasting my time and go play something else that's more satisfying. I have played games where farming and rare drops are a staple but all of those games still gave hope, assuring me that if I keep at it ill be rewarded! whether it be with ways of optimizing farming to something a simple as giving out the info on how drops work so I at the very least know what I'm up against and eventually I do get the drop at its awesome, the difficulty and rarity make it feel more like a prize. but there is a line and wizard I feel crosses that line. after a certain point it feels like doing a chore blindfolded except unlike normal chore once you take the blindfold of you realize you did nothing except move a bunch of clutter around and now i have to clear my inventory for the 50th time and go home with nothing to show for it. its like you see this incredibly difficult battle and there's all these different cool prizes in glass cases. and you think the boss has the key so you fight him, its a long difficult battle with ups a downs your really putting the work in and then you win, beaming with pride and excitement you grab the key and go to get your hard earned reward and!! ... nothing a level 6 pet snack and wand that is useless and 3 pairs of boots. yay. but wait there at the bottom is a sparkle it shines and you pull it out its amazing, its better then everything you have and its for a different school. sure you can give it to another wizard but it took forever just to get here with this one and after all that your not sure if you want to. meanwhile the boss is back up taunting you while a sales men keeps advertising gear that's way better for none of the work.

there is WAY more id like to say but this is long enough ill probably make more posts as I do genuinely enjoy this game and want to see it grow and I think they are taking steps in the right direction but man sometimes it just doesn't feel fun anymore as if the game doesn't want me to even try. to sum it up I think wizard takes its drops way to seriously and I hope they make it better. I'm coming up on omen soon and he looks both awesome and terrible I hope its fun.

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
SasuSaku9709 on Aug 16, 2021 wrote:
I've wanted her to drop an item- maybe an elixir -that allows you to learn a spell, and make it sharable. That way, when my Storm gets the Savage Paw, I can trade it over to my Balance, and he can get the spell. Or if my Life gets Lord of Night, I can send it over to my Death. Keep the spells rare. Keep the drops where they are, so that it still feels good and like an earned reward when you get one... but don't make it feel like a waste. Make the elixirs require a certain level, at least if traded, so that I can't get Handsome Fomori before my Ice finishes WC.

(of course, I don't think you should be able to get the Loremaster quest before finishing MooShu, so I don't have any issue with just putting in a level minimum, but that's another story)