Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Major House Decorating Issue

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jan 17, 2013
I haven't seen anyone ever post about this issue before, so I'll mention here what it is. For some reason that I have absolutely no idea as to why, KI regularly designs their houses with many invisible walls. For context on what this is, if you go to the Myth house and place a platform to go off the edge of the ground there, you'll be able to do so with no problem. However, if you try to go to the Midday Estate, for example, and do the same thing there, you'll encounter an invisible wall preventing you from doing so. If you use advanced move to raise the platform, you'll have to raise it quite some distance from the ground before you're able to "climb" over the invisible wall and move past the ground.

I bought the new Grizzleheim Fjord bundle a few days ago and was really looking forward to decorating the house. I had an idea to expand the dock by having additional flooring attached to it (as the same height as the dock, of course), and I literally groaned out loud in frustration when of course there was an invisible wall preventing you from continuing to walk off the edge of the dock, and instead onto the platform that's on the same level as the dock. What is even the point of including these invisible walls in houses? This one isn't as bad as the one in the Midday Estate I mentioned (the one in the Grizzleheim Fjord house is only approximately the height of your wizard), but it's still extremely annoying nonetheless.

Throughout the countless houses I have decorated, I have encountered hundreds of these invisible walls that seem to exist for no necessary reason but to limit the creativeness of what we can build. I am aware there are probably thousands of invisible walls that exist in all the houses ever made, but please work on removing them, or at the very least stop designing all future houses with them. You really do NOT need 10ft tall walls around the border of every single house

Survivor
Jan 28, 2018
i wanted easier access to fishing in some of the houses and used the advanced move to place some bolted boards down as a dock. then i used house magic, player detector specifically, to teleport myself to the other side. now i have docks in polarian shipwreck, death house, amber estate and a few others to have easier access to fishing. you could build stairs over the 'wall' as well.

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
Yes, you can build a bridge over invisible walls (thought it would be nice if so many of them weren't so high) or use castle magic teleport player to get through invisible walls. But it would be nice if new houses were designed with low walls that are easy for decorators to bridge over.

I'd love to have an invisible gateway that we could place on an invisible wall to allow players to walk through. An invisible trapdoor to go through floors would be fun to have as well. These might be a nice new use of blueprint tokens ;)

Delver
Jul 17, 2009
They should get rid of the walls, and make it easier for us non tech savvy people to be able to do some of our decorating ideas. Make it more like a step stool.

Defender
May 27, 2013
Most of the houses were designed before the advent of Castle (House) Magic. I am fairly certain that the designers never even thought of people trying to build beyond the edge of the design. In those days trying such things was called glitching...for a reason. Those invisible walls are actually not designed to be walls. They are artifacts of the actual house (or property) design, left over from the structuring of the area.

Yes, it is odd that some houses are more prone to the 'walls' than others. I have been frustrated a number of times, myself. Yes, they can be quite annoying, but I don't think the annoyance is a deliberate design feature.

Developer
If the collision could be adjusted in the Blacksmith Fjord, would it help out if the collision was half as high? Right now the collision is roughly as high as the pier beams.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
RandomsWorld on Jul 1, 2021 wrote:
If the collision could be adjusted in the Blacksmith Fjord, would it help out if the collision was half as high? Right now the collision is roughly as high as the pier beams.
Sorry for the late response, I just saw the message. Can you make it so there just isn't any collision wall at all? For all intensive purposes, the dock can still function exactly as it should without the wall -- simply because there's no additional flooring that extends beyond the dock. As long as you keep the flooring confined to the edges of the dock, no wall should be necessary to cause a collision; the edge of the flooring on the dock will already do that. Removing the wall would then still keep players confined on the dock by the flooring put there, but if players wish to add additional flooring (eg castle block flooring) as the same height as the dock, they would be able to walk on that flooring without any walls preventing them from doing so.

I know absolutely nothing about how game design works, but I don't think you need a wall to keep a collision around an object, since having the flooring confined to the edges of the object you're trying to make walkable on will do just that.

Developer
Collision gets added to the edge of the dock in order to keep characters from getting caught on the edges. This is typically done around all walkable surfaces.

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
I like to make full use of my yards, so it would be nice to have very low barriers that would be easily built over into areas that aren't walkable but we want to make them walkable. Especially where there is no visible wall, such as on a dock or cliff top, I think high barriers are unnecessary and annoying. A low barrier will keep players from falling off but also allow decorators to bridge over them easily to get to that water or expand off that cliff or whatever.

Where there is a visible wall, like a cliff face or the walls inside a house, I'm not sure there is a solution that would suit everyone. I installed a second floor into a very high ceilinged room in one of my houses and there is no collision on the walls that high up. So players can wander through the walls to the outside, as my flooring sticks out a bit. There I would prefer to have collision all the way up, but I can imagine different decor projects not wanting collision. For instance, I have a simple porch high up in one of my dorms and it's nice to be able to just walk through the wall to it.

Defender
May 27, 2013
RandomsWorld, thanks for having replied to this thread.

I understand the need to keep characters from getting hung on edges (something I find very frustrating in some housing décor), however I do think that it would be helpful to keep the collisions as low as possible. I was recently frustrated to find out the collision height of the PVP area in the Aero Village. It definitely required changing some decorating concepts.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2018
i realized that the problem is there is nothing to walk on underneath you. stopping you from falling forever seems like a benefit to me. the docks i built at polaris house i can just walk out on. the amber estate and the sun palace i use house magic to teleport to the end of the dock. i could possibly create stairs to go up and over, but unless i have a lot of house magic, it has no impact on the house item limit.