Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stop censoring LGBT terms if you want to support the community

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 27, 2017
Pride month has just begun today, and KI has posted a statement on Twitter about it. They also changed their profile picture to include pride flags.

That's nice and all, but our identities are STILL censored in-game. It's been years, multiple people have spoken out about it, and yet, not a single change has been made.

Our identities are not political. They're not inappropriate either. They shouldn't be treated like swear words.

I get not wanting to add it to text chat, but at least uncensor it in open chat.

Quoting KI's tweet: "Embracing acceptance and championning diversity and inclusion makes the Spiral (and the world) a better place for all." It would be nice if those words were turned into reality, because for now... It's not the case.

Thank you for your understanding.

Explorer
Mar 25, 2021
agreed. i have open chat and its ridiclous that i, a grown adult, had to fight the child protection filter in a ADULTS only chat, just to tell a friend that i am transgender.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2009
I understand what you're saying and I agree. However, at the same time I understand why KI would not uncensor LGBT terms and phrases. It's not because KI doesn't support the LGBT community. When used properly, these terms are a way to identify yourself. When used as intended these words are not harmful. The problem doesn't lie within people who want to use these terms to identify themselves. It's the people that misuse these terms and phrases to provoke or disrespect people intentionally that are the real issue. Is being called transgender a slur or a swear word? No. But in my opinion, I'd rather have these words censored and not be used in the game than have them being constantly used to attempt to offend someone; which would be disrespectful to the LGBT community as a whole.

Moreover, these terms are political only because we as a society have made them so. You can say they shouldn't be political and I would agree they shouldn't be. But you cannot deny that politics surrounds them regardless.

I think that allowing these phrases in open chat would a good compromise. But I also kind of see how KI will face scrutiny regardless of what they do. Honestly, I see both sides.