Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

macOS users and Spring 2021 Update Login Access

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 19, 2011
Kevin Soulcaster on Apr 22, 2021 wrote:
Hello fellow wizards. I run on a Macbook Pro 2020 M1 Chip. I used that following information that Codeweaver's suggest, but I did my own step. Before their 1st step, Go>Hold Option Button & Shift>Library>Downloads (Once at downloads move any wizard101 content stored in download tab to trash. Next proceed with Codeweaver's steps. Make sure after following all Codeweaver's and my own steps, restart your computer. After all steps are followed Wizard101 will completely be off your Mac. Then instead of Codeweavers steps, do NOT use the old launcher for the game. You won't be able to use the launcher if all steps are followed correctly anyway. Proceed to go to the website, where you originally downloaded the game under MacOS wizard101 download. Follow the instructions on the screen as normal. Once game is download, as Code mentions; open wizard101 through the applications tab. Will recommend putting mac on best wifi option you can, as you will be totally installing the game over again.

Hope to see all my fellow Mac users in the game! :)
This still isn’t working for any of us. I have the same laptop as you and nothing or nor formula or recommendation seems to work. This is something much more serious that has to do with their developing and coding.

Survivor
Apr 03, 2017
Michael WinterClou... on Apr 21, 2021 wrote:
That does NOT work for Big Sur. Access to a normal mac user is blocked and old ways of "unhiding" one of the steps is no longer valid for Big Sur. It will take KI to make the patch overwrite old unaccessible folders during install.
That is so weird. I have Big Sur on my desktop and laptop now and following the instructions from the link worked for me Maybe it's a case by case for each computer??

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
Like many of you, I followed the procedures in the Codeweavers instructions. It worked and I have Wizard101 running again.

However, now, for the forseeable future, every time I enter a new area or play on a different character, everything will have to load. I already have every NPC character wanting to talk to me at once. I wish there was a way for the game to "remember" all the areas, conversations and progress so that we don't have to go through this with every major update. It is very annoying and slows me down when gaming with my friends who did not have to go through these steps.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2015
I have done all you suggested but either the Wizard101 launcher will not pop up, or I will receive a 32-bit error code. My laptop is running macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3 (MacBook Pro 2019; Jeremiah's MacBook Pro). Will this be fixed before my membership runs out on the 1st of May? Thanks.

Survivor
Dec 16, 2015
i try everything but nothing work, the login screen doesn't appears.

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
For PC Users I hate to say this, I love windows 7 but It may have issues, so I upgraded to windows 10 and not because I wanted to, yet that being said I was able to get set back up.

So maybe my issue was more of a windows issue. So if you have the ability to do Windows 10 it could solve your problem.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
Okay so I tried the codeweaver thing and everything else listed in this thread thus far and none of it worked. I deleted everything and reinstalled 6 times to the same outcome ("initialising" then blank"). I deleted and didn't reinstall, came back about 3 hours later and reinstalled and it worked completely fine. Not sure if waiting to reinstall was all it took or if KI fixed something on their end but might be worth a try for others still struggling.
Running on 2016 or 2017 MacBook Pro with Big Sur.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2021
I have the same problems as describe above and none of the suggested fixes help. I use Air with the latest Big Sur version, updated my Login Shell to zsh and tried to restart/re-download multiple times to no avail. I also had the 32-bit error message when I opened the existing application after the update and after re-downloading, it wouldn't start at all. The MacOS exec in Package Contents of the app gives me the following error message: "wine: could not load kernel32.dll, status c0000135".

Hope you can resolve this soon!

Survivor
Apr 19, 2021
Windows 7 64 bit user here getting "Creation Failed: Invalid 3D Device Type" and "3D Renderer failed to initialize", had no problems before and I meet minimal system requirement (YES, MY DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE), this would be leaving out the 7 and 8.1 users. Please fix this issue if you can, support told me to update to Windows 10, but it's not something I want to do unless I'm super desperate, and technically the 7 and 8.1 OS's are playable according to system requirements.

Here's my Direct X, my OS is in Spanish as I'm bilingual, hope a new patch can resolve my issue soon :/

Survivor
Aug 29, 2011
Hello,

I have followed codeweaver's instructions and I have all the requirements. Before updating to Big Sur, the game popped up and gave me error 151 but now I cannot even initialize the game! I am unable to put my login information as the screen won't load. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I have a Mac early 2014.

Survivor
Sep 06, 2013
I have a macbook pro with the newest software and every time I try to open wizard 101 it says

" please wait while wizard 101 initializes"

then stopes loading.

I did everything you all been saying to do and nothing is working.

please fix soon, i just want to play.

Thanks

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
Hello there, I too myself have tried every trick in the book to get my wizard101 launcher working and it will not launch. I don't understand why there is such a headache with using Macs for this game I understand wizard101 wasn't made for Macs but please fix this.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2021
So I pay for all these crowns and then I get kicked off and can't play again?? I want my refund back because this is ridiculous, I loved this game and now I can't play.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2014
Unfortunately its day 2 of this and things have not changed sadly. Im hoping were not expected to fix this ourselves as I am not familiar with all this coding stuff.

Survivor
Nov 20, 2015
HI ! It's me again with an update that "may" FINALLY help everyone out. Regular uninstall of the game does NOT work, it doesn't remove the "hidden" folder. Proven.
IF....you use the CodeWeaver option, for some reason, on BIG SUR, it STILL hides that folder and all the other tidbits you are supposed to trash! How do I know? read on...

SO, I read the second option found in this thread from a reddit post that says to open FINDER, Go TO Folder option and put in the this >

~/Library/Application Support

Guess what?!? Holy Mother Moon! There it was! Unhidden was the Spiral forsaken Wizard101 folder! I stomped it so far down the trash can it fell into NOTHING with Morganthe!

So anyways...I got the download setup again from the main wiz site, restarted my iMac, and while holding my breath until I was almost purple, I started up the fresh download and as I was passing out from lack of oxygen, it actually started installing! I was back for a second time just like my buddy Malistaire!

So try this out and let me know if it works for you, I got some King Parsleys singing the blues in my gardens...

Administrator
Thank you all for your continued patience and effort in helping each other resolve your specific cases.

We've updated the top post with a few more instructions for specific users.

Our team is hard at work with our partner that manages the macOS link support. We hope to have a resolution very soon and will keep you updated here the moment we have more news to share.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2021
Michael WinterClou... on Apr 22, 2021 wrote:
HI ! It's me again with an update that "may" FINALLY help everyone out. Regular uninstall of the game does NOT work, it doesn't remove the "hidden" folder. Proven.
IF....you use the CodeWeaver option, for some reason, on BIG SUR, it STILL hides that folder and all the other tidbits you are supposed to trash! How do I know? read on...

SO, I read the second option found in this thread from a reddit post that says to open FINDER, Go TO Folder option and put in the this >

Guess what?!? Holy Mother Moon! There it was! Unhidden was the Spiral forsaken Wizard101 folder! I stomped it so far down the trash can it fell into NOTHING with Morganthe!

So anyways...I got the download setup again from the main wiz site, restarted my iMac, and while holding my breath until I was almost purple, I started up the fresh download and as I was passing out from lack of oxygen, it actually started installing! I was back for a second time just like my buddy Malistaire!

So try this out and let me know if it works for you, I got some King Parsleys singing the blues in my gardens...
This worked for me but I had to access every single one of the files through the Go-menu and Go to Folder. You can just change the ~/Library/Application Support to fit the folders described in the CodeWeaver guidance.

So for example, when you want to access Caches, you just replace Application Support by Caches (~/Library/Caches) etc. and then you should be able to access all the files mentioned in the guidance.

In the CodeWeaver instructions it only shows three items in the trash but I had to delete four in total: two folders, the app itself and the .plist file.

Downloaded the newest version from the website, successfully logged in and had to wait some time for the world to download so I can continue playing. It's slower than before but otherwise works normally.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2012
Here's where I am and how it worked for me. I haven't upgraded to latest Mac OS yet - still on Catalina (10.15.7). Before doing anything, I ran the game as usual, it said an update was available, it was downloaded and installed. The attempt to then run the program failed (as I assumed it would). The ONLY thing I did was this: I deleted the wizard101 folder in ~/Library/Application Support as had been suggested way back. I did not do anything else, but loaded the game again and it loaded just fine. So that was my experience this AM with updating the game to get it working. If you use Catalina, hopefully this helps.

Survivor
Dec 23, 2012
Michael WinterClou... on Apr 22, 2021 wrote:

This worked lol, but I was confused to find "go" just realizing its near the apple logo near the top left corner screen. You then click go, then look all the way down and press "go to folder." You can then copy ~/Library/Application Support and press enter. Then look and find the hidden Wizard 101 file and delete it.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2013
On a MacBook Pro w/macOS Big Sur - deleting the application support file and reinstalling the app worked for me. Thanks!

Administrator
You can also create a new system profile if you want to be sure a 'clean install', though the old system profile will still be on your machine of course.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2015
@Spark
The mac version runs using Code weaver's wine, i am also experiencing stability issues with the platform. currently game crashes when launching the crafting screen. requiring a full game reinstall, the issue starts again after enough files have been downloaded. I have a script which reinstall the game very quickly but i dont know if you guys can look into it. I have sent bug reports when the game crashes.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2011
Sparck on Apr 21, 2021 wrote:
It is tested before going live, but unfortunately only a small percentage of macOS players join us during Test Realm, so some system specifics are not realized.

macOS compatibility also goes through a secondary set of instructions, so this adds complexity to supporting macOS devices.

Rest assured, we'll get this latest issue resolved nonetheless!
One reason you don't get macOS players in test realm is because it's a huge hassle to run test realm on a mac. You have to uninstall the regular version of the game and then install test realm and then if you want to go back and forth between live and test you have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling. If you were able to have test realm and live realm run on a mac at the same time then people would do test realm.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2011
Since the new update was released, I did a clean install of Wizard101 on Big Sur on my mac. I was able to log in to my characters and play for a little bit, but then my game started crashing repeatedly. I also wiped all Wizard101 files and did another clean install today but it did not fix anything.

So far the game has crashed for me 12 times in the past 24 hours, and I submitted a crash report each time.

Most of the time when it crashed, I was using my bank or shared bank on one of my characters, although it has also crashed when using my backpack butler, when opening my recipe book by pressing "J", and also just randomly for no reason I can tell.

This issue is preventing me from playing the game and is extremely frustrating. Please fix it as soon as possible.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2011
Ok the CodeWeavers uninstall thing worked and all but now the game just crashes every 5 minutes. I'm on a MacBook Pro 2019.