Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Matchmaking, matchmaking, matchmaking!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
I’m making this thread in hopes that all of those who are just as upset about the matchmaking exploits come and comment so the devs will fix this issue. It has been ongoing for too long at this point. Low level PvP is impossible because of the tier system. Level 50 players are taking off critical gear just to face a lower level opponent. Those who wish to PvP at intermediate, adept, or the forbidden novice and apprentice range are completely outmatched just because of a level disadvantage.

Matchmaking desperately needs to be revamped. Yes, I know we “just had a patch” but it was an awful update to the system! Somehow it made it worse, especially for low level PvP players. The goal should be for each person to have fun at their desired level and play others who are equally matched in both skill AND level/stats. Creating a 3 tiered system when there are 140 levels is completely out of the picture. At the very least, those tiers need to be doubled, if not tripled or even quadrupled to create fair matchups.

My suggestion is as follows:
Tier 1: Levels 1-25
Tier 2: Levels 26-39
Tier 3: Levels 40-59
Tier 4: Levels 60-79
Tier 5: Levels 80-99
Tier 6: Levels 100-129
Tier 7: Level 130+

Within each tier, wizards should then be matched according to rank. However, I realize this creates smaller pools of players within each tier. The solution is already in place; we have a notification that lets the wizards know if they are about to be matched with a wizard of a higher tier or rank. It’s simple.

Tiers 1 and 2 go together, but never higher
Tiers 3 and 4, even 5 go together, but never higher
Tier 6 and 7 go together

Again, there is always a warning or notification when matched with someone in a higher tier or higher rank. This way we avoid confusion but also give the community what they want and need in balanced matchmaking.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
I'll take it a step further and say that both wizards' level names should match.

Pair Magus with Magus, Visionary with Visionary, Grandmaster with Grandmaster, etc.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
Exabytes on Jan 16, 2021 wrote:
I'll take it a step further and say that both wizards' level names should match.

Pair Magus with Magus, Visionary with Visionary, Grandmaster with Grandmaster, etc.
I like the idea. Based on the most recent PvP Dev Diary, it looks like this is what we’ll be getting. I’m excited and I think this is a big step in the right direction!