Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

macOS Big Sur now Supported for Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Administrator
miguel5101 on Jan 27, 2021 wrote:
I am currently on an older Mac that’s runs on OS X El Capitan, I currently can not access the game for some reason, I know many people have had the same issue , when will this be resolved?
Hi miguel! There will be a point where older OS versions are not able to be supported. Can you update the OS or is it the computer that won't allow that?

Survivor
Nov 11, 2011
Got a new Mac and now I too am experiencing extremely poor performance on my M1 Mac. Makes the game unplayable. So far no updates on your progress to solve this issue. Please make this right for your loyal Mac community.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2018
Hey Sparck, it seems to me and all other Mac users that you aren’t caring or really addressing the issue. We’re over here trying to play with a membership we pay for and you haven’t even said that it will be fix. Your team responded to one of my emails and said that it was an issue with Big Sur 11.1 but 11.2 would fix it and that was not it because I updated and it’s still the same, also uninstall and install again. Game is just horrendous. At least let us know something an update on what you guys are going to do about it?

Administrator
Sosa0510 on Feb 3, 2021 wrote:
Hey Sparck, it seems to me and all other Mac users that you aren’t caring or really addressing the issue. We’re over here trying to play with a membership we pay for and you haven’t even said that it will be fix. Your team responded to one of my emails and said that it was an issue with Big Sur 11.1 but 11.2 would fix it and that was not it because I updated and it’s still the same, also uninstall and install again. Game is just horrendous. At least let us know something an update on what you guys are going to do about it?
Our sincere apology if there are continued issues with macOS Big Sur. Thank you for confirming that you sent in a support ticket. This will help us to identify the source of the concern.

There are some connections that may need updating yet after 11.2 goes live. Please keep in touch with our support team in the meantime for your specific case.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2013
Hello, I am on my Macbook Pro 13-inch with M1 chip currently on macOS Big Sur 11.2. Brand new mac, just got it for Christmas of 2020. I have noticed that there has been a lot of issues with people not being able to play the game, but has anyone that is able to play the game constantly lagging? I recently started playing this game again after 6 years, and wanna relive my childhood memories, but with the constant lag i am receiving it's almost unplayable. I run on 50mb down and 25 up speed consistently, with no traffic. I see a lot of other players say they use Mac and it runs just fine. I am stuck in Azteca getting little no fps and it's really annoying, because i get pulled by mobs all the time, and it normally takes my character a long time to travel from place to place due to lag. KI please fix this; Or at least let me know if it's on my part.

Thank you!
-Kevin Soulcaster (100 Life)
-Blaze StormHammer (83 Storm)

Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
Hello all - I have to step in and say that once I re-installed Wizard, my game is running absolutely fine. I have had two minor upgrades to Big Sur and all is playing really, really well. No lag, etc. I am happy to be trouble free.

Administrator
Morgwaine on Feb 10, 2021 wrote:
Hello all - I have to step in and say that once I re-installed Wizard, my game is running absolutely fine. I have had two minor upgrades to Big Sur and all is playing really, really well. No lag, etc. I am happy to be trouble free.
Thanks Morgwaine for the report! So you had the game on the computer before, presumably updated to Big Sur from a previous OS where the game ran fine, and then it was laggy? So the reinstall resolved the lag at that point.

What is your computer model and what OS were you at before updating to Big Sur?

Thanks!

Survivor
Aug 04, 2013
I recently just sent in a ticket; basically explaining my setup and what I have been experiencing on my Macbook Pro. Can I please get a reply or comment about if we're possibly gonna be getting an update for those with M1 chip for MacOS Big Sur 11.2.1. Again crazy lag in crowded areas or even in populated worlds, such as Azteca or Khrysalis.

-Thank You :)

Survivor
Dec 25, 2015
Sparck on Feb 10, 2021 wrote:
Thanks Morgwaine for the report! So you had the game on the computer before, presumably updated to Big Sur from a previous OS where the game ran fine, and then it was laggy? So the reinstall resolved the lag at that point.

What is your computer model and what OS were you at before updating to Big Sur?

Thanks!
Hi there - I play Wizards on my 13 " Macbook Air from early 2015. I update regularly, so I went from Catalina to Big Sur. I believe Catalina was the OS immediately prior to Big Sur. I did not have problems running the game on my computer at any point prior to the Big Sur update. To be honest, I think the game runs better for me than it did before. When the fix first came out from Kingsisle, I tried logging in and I could not get on. I read the blog and followed the instructions and simply re-installed Wizards and I have been fine. I never experienced any lags. At least not any lag that was remarkable or impeded my game.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2018
Morgwaine on Feb 12, 2021 wrote:
Hi there - I play Wizards on my 13 " Macbook Air from early 2015. I update regularly, so I went from Catalina to Big Sur. I believe Catalina was the OS immediately prior to Big Sur. I did not have problems running the game on my computer at any point prior to the Big Sur update. To be honest, I think the game runs better for me than it did before. When the fix first came out from Kingsisle, I tried logging in and I could not get on. I read the blog and followed the instructions and simply re-installed Wizards and I have been fine. I never experienced any lags. At least not any lag that was remarkable or impeded my game.
I don't think you get the point of this. The ones having problems are only the people who use the newest M1 MacBook Pro. also, @Spark I'm tired of your team not helping or looking or even telling us that there will be a fix to this. I've already sent tickets to support and crossover and I get the same irrelevant answer so it just seems to me that they don't understand their own game. I even tell your team to look at this discussion and they hit me with the "Big Sur is now compatible with W101! enjoy the game". like what? I don't understand.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2018
So@Spark pls give us an answer.

Administrator
Apologies about the continued delay :(. I'm asking our team today for an update.

Have any of you tried a fresh install of the game? We noticed that upgrading while the game was installed sometimes causes problems.

If that didn't do the trick, please continue to send reports to our support team, we're gathering them to ensure we have a full understanding of the concern:

https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game

Survivor
Mar 04, 2018
Sparck on Feb 23, 2021 wrote:
Apologies about the continued delay :(. I'm asking our team today for an update.

Have any of you tried a fresh install of the game? We noticed that upgrading while the game was installed sometimes causes problems.

If that didn't do the trick, please continue to send reports to our support team, we're gathering them to ensure we have a full understanding of the concern:

https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game
I’ve tried many times to do a fresh reinstall of the game but the problem persists. I also thought it was maybe my laptop that I ended up exchanging it for another one of the same model and same thing still happened. I understand that this problems take time to fix so I’ll patiently keep waiting now. I apologize if I went to strong on you guys but I just needed an update or answer.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
same happening for me, i have a 2020 MacBook Pro, am running gig ethernet...I can get into the game, but lag is awful. Once I finally get into a dungeon, the others have already gone in and are on second round of hits, its so slow...so basically I can't do anything. In the commons, its so bad, I can't even move around.

I sent support an email and all they did was refer me to crossover....who didnt respond at all.
Ive played since 2009, but looks like my love of Wiz is gonna come to an end. Surely, someone knows how to address this.

Survivor
Mar 02, 2021
hi, i have a macbook pro M1 with a 16 GB RAM. i can log into the game just fine, but it is very very laggy when im crowded areas, and even semi-crowded i noticed this started since the beginning of this year so i hope there will be a fix in a few months or if we r lucky next month lol. and @sparck i was wondering if yall have any update so far? thanks!

Survivor
Dec 09, 2010
I just recently bought a MacBook Air 2020 with the M1 chip, nothing special, 8 GB, and 256 GB. Recently got back into Wizard101 after years of not playing. For the past week, it's been extremely unplayable with the massive FPS lag and frame drops. Especially in the Commons or in crowded realms. Even in perfect realms, the Azteca world is HORRIBLE. I cannot do any questing without getting frustrated and getting stuck in unwanted battles because of this lag. I see many people are having this issue, so it would be really appreciated if this issue was resolved as soon as possible, since many of us are paying members who just want to play.

Running : MacOS Big Sur 11.2.2

Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
themury on Mar 4, 2021 wrote:
hi, i have a macbook pro M1 with a 16 GB RAM. i can log into the game just fine, but it is very very laggy when im crowded areas, and even semi-crowded i noticed this started since the beginning of this year so i hope there will be a fix in a few months or if we r lucky next month lol. and @sparck i was wondering if yall have any update so far? thanks!
Kings Isle referred me to crossover who works on these issues for them. Support is free for Wiz members...however they replied to me Thursday that its a know issue for M1 (which i also have)...and a fix is not imminent. They are hoping to have a fix by the next Wiz update, but there are no guarantees or an ETA yet for the fix.

I have exactly the same issue you described making me always the last one in, and fights already started if its a full dungeon.

Survivor
Oct 11, 2013
Hey @Spark can you give us all an update on what you guys are doing to fix this problem with “M1” specific MacBooks? Please for the love of god do not plug your support team it’s been 4 months and yes can we get into the game, yes, is it playable... No. An update of what’s being done to fix said lag would be awesome. Blows my mind that a massive group like wizard101 do not have a coder that can pin point problem.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
Nlmdy, i went directly to Kings Isle support and twice received a message back saying that they could not help.
They gave me 2 email addresses to contact for support...and the message i got back then was no fix is imminent , but they were hoping by the next Wiz update. Im surprised as well Kings Isle doesnt have the resources to look into this, but the response i got was like they have turned it over to codeweavers.
Here are the 2 contacts, maybe helpful if you and others contacted them also about the M1 problem. The response i got wasnt really positive.

Wizard101@codeweavers.com
Sales@crossover.codeweavers.com

Survivor
Dec 09, 2010
nlmdy on Mar 7, 2021 wrote:
Hey @Spark can you give us all an update on what you guys are doing to fix this problem with “M1” specific MacBooks? Please for the love of god do not plug your support team it’s been 4 months and yes can we get into the game, yes, is it playable... No. An update of what’s being done to fix said lag would be awesome. Blows my mind that a massive group like wizard101 do not have a coder that can pin point problem.
Exactly! We need some updates, and the sad thing is we can't download the Windows operating software onto our macs since Apple doesn't use Intel chips anymore. Tried everything to fix the lag, and still no hope. All we want is to play with no lag. Is that too much to ask for?

Survivor
Jun 28, 2018
This issue has yet to be fixed, I'm really hoping for a fix in the coming week as it is merely unplayable at the current moment in time. I'm better off playing on a desktop thats running windows vista from 2006

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
I too I’m having the same issue here. I don’t know why it’s all complicated once we have the Apple Mac book with the m1 chip. Please resolve this quickly I’m experiencing bad game lags.

Survivor
Nov 26, 2014
I have an M1 MacBook Air 2020 on Big Sur 11.2 and the game is really laggy. It's crazy because Wiz is not at all graphically intensive and I know the M1 should be able to handle it max settings no problem, but the game on MAC downloads so slow and plays awfully. It's upsetting

Administrator
For all M1 users reporting lag, please contact CodeWeavers at wizard101@codeweavers.com or sales@crossover.codeweavers.com. We'd recommend sending to both at the same time.

Please note that Codeweavers support for Wizard101 is free and you do not have to purchase any additional software. Be sure to include the text of your original question to bring them up to date with your issue. It's also possible the M1 system itself is involved and may need checking, so be sure to mention your system type.

We apologize that we are unable to help resolve your issue for you directly, but this looks to be something that CodeWeavers will need to look into.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2010
Sparck on Mar 15, 2021 wrote:
For all M1 users reporting lag, please contact CodeWeavers at wizard101@codeweavers.com or sales@crossover.codeweavers.com. We'd recommend sending to both at the same time.

Please note that Codeweavers support for Wizard101 is free and you do not have to purchase any additional software. Be sure to include the text of your original question to bring them up to date with your issue. It's also possible the M1 system itself is involved and may need checking, so be sure to mention your system type.

We apologize that we are unable to help resolve your issue for you directly, but this looks to be something that CodeWeavers will need to look into.
Sparck, with all due respect, this seems to be a copied message from a previous post. We have already reported and contacted CodeWeavers regarding this issue, but instead get rude and unhelpful responses. It's unfortunate that nobody seems to care about this issue, but hopefully one day we can load into the game with zero to minimal lag and actually enjoy the game like the rest of users.