Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

macOS Big Sur now Supported for Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 14, 2009
Hello, second update here. In game downloads have dwindled, but the game is still lagging when there are no downloads in progress and is not running very smoothly.

Survivor
May 27, 2020
I was able to launch it on MacBook Air 2020 (M1 chip) with Big Sur (finally) but it is very laggy, especially in the non-neutral areas. It is almost impossible to walk around in those areas. Hopefully this will get fixed soon!

Survivor
Aug 14, 2009
lizamerz on Jan 16, 2021 wrote:
I was able to launch it on MacBook Air 2020 (M1 chip) with Big Sur (finally) but it is very laggy, especially in the non-neutral areas. It is almost impossible to walk around in those areas. Hopefully this will get fixed soon!
I'm having the same exact issue on the same device. Hopefully there's a fix soon!

Survivor
Mar 04, 2018
Hi @Spack, I been experiencing so much lagggggg. My game downloaded all files but when I’m in any area or any realm it’s so laggy when moving around. :( This means I can’t really enjoy the game at all.

Administrator
We are looking into each of these reports. If you could provide more details about your particular setup and if you played previously without issue, this would help us to diagnose the source of the problem.

Thanks!

Survivor
May 05, 2010
I downloaded this to my Mac Air (with M1 chip) on Jan 15. Although I get in my characters behave like drunken sailors. I can't follow a curve, my character will go straight or overcompensate, so I have to go short distances and repoint her. The game lags horribly: I tried to do waterworks and my character was lagging so bad that by the time I got to whatever mob we were fighting I was already a turn behind and in some cases missed the battle completely. When I set my cards during the battle I don't have 30 seconds I only get about 20. Also even in an area where I have spent a significant amount of time, when I reenter it the logo comes up showing I am downloading stuff for that area again.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2020
For me personally, the only time I don't experience almost no lag at all is at the character selection screen. Apart from that, the game is extremely laggy in crowded areas. In the commons especially, I get 2-3 FPS max.

Boss instances, empty areas and houses seem to be a bit less laggy but still would wait at least 2-3 seconds for my book or crown shop to open (even with everything having been downloaded).

Could this be an M1 chip compatibility problem?? I don't really know if people are experiencing the particular issue with an Intel processor as well though.. could be wrong on this one.

Survivor
Aug 14, 2009
Sparck on Jan 19, 2021 wrote:
We are looking into each of these reports. If you could provide more details about your particular setup and if you played previously without issue, this would help us to diagnose the source of the problem.

Thanks!
Hi @Spark. I previously played on a MacBook Air from 2014 with little lag, even in crowded areas like the Ambrose Commons. I am now playing on the new MacBook Pro with the M1 chip, and I find my game lagging a lot in areas with mobs. The worst offender are crowded areas like The Commons or Olde Town, in these places I can't smoothly walk around let a lone go through my spell book. I've been able to farm and participate and dungeons still, though the fps seems lower than usual. Hope that helps!

Explorer
Sep 25, 2016
Hi! The game has been running pretty smoothly for me aside from lag in crowded areas like The Commons. As far as I can remember the game barely ever lagged before. I am currently using a Macbook Pro (15-inch 2018).

Survivor
Mar 04, 2018
When I played on my 2018 MacBook Pro I had no problem but now with my M1 Chip MacBook Pro it’s so laggy even the launcher. Moving around any area is like doing it frame by frame and sometimes you can’t even control where you wanna go because the game doesn’t respond because of all the lag.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2011
Will I have to download the Wizard101 game again after I update to macOS Big Sur? Has the lagging problem been fixed with the new version 1.17 update? Can I just update to macOS Big Sur and the game will just update to the version 1.17 without me having to download the game again and all of my character data from the server because that takes hours to load all the data from all the areas in the game? I also have a problem on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 where I can't access the settings button on the login page, I just keep clicking it and nothing happens; will this be fixed in Big Sur?

Survivor
Apr 22, 2011
Sparck on Jan 19, 2021 wrote:

Thanks!
Will I have to download the Wizard101 game again after I update to macOS Big Sur? Has the lagging problem where people are moving slow in Wizard101 been fixed with the new version 1.17 update?

Can I just update to macOS Big Sur and the game will just update to the version 1.17 without me having to uninstall & download the game again & all of my character data from the server because that takes hours to load all the data from all the areas in the game?

I also have a problem on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 where I can't access the settings button on the login page, I just keep clicking it and nothing happens; will this be fixed in the MacOS Big Sur update?

Administrator
UltraFlare911 on Jan 20, 2021 wrote:
Will I have to download the Wizard101 game again after I update to macOS Big Sur? Has the lagging problem where people are moving slow in Wizard101 been fixed with the new version 1.17 update?

Can I just update to macOS Big Sur and the game will just update to the version 1.17 without me having to uninstall & download the game again & all of my character data from the server because that takes hours to load all the data from all the areas in the game?

I also have a problem on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 where I can't access the settings button on the login page, I just keep clicking it and nothing happens; will this be fixed in the MacOS Big Sur update?
Yes, it's possible you may have to reinstall the game if login doesn't work properly the first time. Our apologies about this extra step.

The game 'should' auto update, however, a reinstall may still be required.

We're still looking into the source of the lag reports some are experiencing.

Can you send the button issue to our support team please: https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game

Thanks for the great questions!

Survivor
Aug 29, 2016
Hi I am using imac mid 2011 on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. The game has just updated and now says i am unable to launch the game. I cannot upgrade or update the imac so it looks like thats it for me :( Shame as I have been playing for years now.

Survivor
Mar 27, 2011
Hi!
I am unable to log in, I can load the launcher but when I put my password in and press log in the launcher background says "page not available". I thought with the update this would fix the issue, but I don't know if this problem is due to something else. I have reinstalled the game over 10 times and it still is not working.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2016
I reinstalled the game last night. Unfortunately its extremely laggy. Im using the Apple M1 Macbook Pro 16gb ram. I let it run in the background for several hours to load in all the content. However, the lag persists.

Its honestly unplayable...It's bad enough that we haven't been able to log on since November due to the Big Sur compatibility issue, but now there's this. As someone who's paying for a monthly membership, i'm really frustrated. please fix your game.

Administrator
For those who reinstalled and now the game is 'laggy' where it wasn't before, please submit a support ticket as a report of this occurrence so we can track the issue. Please include the type of computer you are using and which macOS as well. Thanks!

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
I have a Mac Book Pro mid 2012. I am running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 After I updated the client, the new client version is not supported on 10.11.6. Where can I download the previous client version?

Survivor
Jun 01, 2012
12345AIIB on Jan 20, 2021 wrote:
Hi I am using imac mid 2011 on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. The game has just updated and now says i am unable to launch the game. I cannot upgrade or update the imac so it looks like thats it for me :( Shame as I have been playing for years now.
I have the same exact issue, I can't access the game anymore too. Please fix this!

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Hello. I updated the Mac Client today, and now I cannot run it. I have a Mac Book Pro Mid-2012 OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6, i5 with 16GB ram.

Previously to updating, I have no issues with running the game.

Where can I download an older client version that is compatible with my OS version?

Survivor
Jun 07, 2020
Hello, I also recently updated the game. After updating, a crossed off sign appeared over the game icon and says "You can’t use this version of the application “Wizard101” with this version of OS X." I have OS X 10.11.6 and the application requires OS X 10.13 or later. How can I fix this so I can continue playing?

Thanks!

Survivor
Jun 01, 2012
Hi, it been a few days now and I still cannot access Wizard101. I am running on an iMac mid 2014, OS X El Capitan. I can see some others also have this issue too! Will we get compensation for this while this issue is (hopefully) getting fixed?

Survivor
Jun 03, 2016
Was having a massive issue with launching the game until I looked through past solutions and found this link :
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/tips/wizard101/full-clean-install-procedure-for-wizard101
I went through every step to wipe wiz completely off my computer then redownloaded and it miraculously worked! Hope this helps anyone who had the same issue as me - that my files weren't actually updating, even when I 'trashed' the application.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2018
When will this be fix? I bought a year membership and haven’t really play because of all the lag the game has on my M1 MacBook Pro. Spark please give us an update. I begggggg you.

Survivor
May 11, 2013
Sparck on Jan 7, 2021 wrote:
JAN. 14 UPDATE:

We're happy to inform you that Wizard101 now supports Big Sur!

Depending on your exact setup, you may need to reinstall the game before it will let you log in, especially if you updated to Big Sur before Jan. 13th.

Please post any technical concerns related to macOS Big Sur in the comments below. If you have any general account related questions, please read our FAQ and knowledgebase first and then contact customer support and they will be happy to assist further.

Pirate101 support will be implemented soon.

Thank you for your extended patience as we worked to implement this compatibility.
I am currently on an older Mac that’s runs on OS X El Capitan, I currently can not access the game for some reason, I know many people have had the same issue , when will this be resolved?