Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

macOS Big Sur now Supported for Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Administrator
JAN. 14 UPDATE:

We're happy to inform you that Wizard101 now supports Big Sur!

Depending on your exact setup, you may need to reinstall the game before it will let you log in, especially if you updated to Big Sur before Jan. 13th.

Please post any technical concerns related to macOS Big Sur in the comments below. If you have any general account related questions, please read our FAQ and knowledgebase first and then contact customer support and they will be happy to assist further.

Pirate101 support will be implemented soon.

Thank you for your extended patience as we worked to implement this compatibility.

Administrator
We have updated the game with what we hope is a fully compatible macOS Big Sur build.

All macOS players using both Big Sur and previous OS, please let us know what OS you are using and if you are successful in launching and playing the game.

If you cannot launch the game successfully, please let us know in detail what happened and which OS and mac model you are using by responding with it below.

Thanks!

Survivor
Mar 29, 2011
Hello, my mac still will not launch the game. When I open it, it says "please wait while Wizard101 initializes" then it shuts it down right after that. I have a 2020 macbook air (not the m1 chip model), and I have Big Sur.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
I attempted to launch wizard101 just now on my macbook air with macOS big sur version 11.1 and it said wizard101 was on the latest version yet it would not open the application still. Not even the login screen will pop up it just shuts down after I clicked on it. I will try redownloading the application but as of now it’s still not working for me

Administrator
We just updated with another version, please try again and let us know if you are successful.

Thanks!

Survivor
Jul 02, 2010
Hmm -- still not launching/opening for me. Should we delete and then redownload?

Administrator
Teddy Lupin on Jan 13, 2021 wrote:
Hmm -- still not launching/opening for me. Should we delete and then redownload?
You are on macOS Big Sur? What happens when you try to launch the game?

Survivor
Jul 02, 2010
Sparck on Jan 13, 2021 wrote:
You are on macOS Big Sur? What happens when you try to launch the game?
I get a quick flash saying Please Wait, and then it flashes off the screen and nothing opens or loads.

And yep, I'm on macOS Big Sur.

Administrator
Teddy Lupin on Jan 13, 2021 wrote:
I get a quick flash saying Please Wait, and then it flashes off the screen and nothing opens or loads.

And yep, I'm on macOS Big Sur.
Please give it a few minutes and then try again.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
Hi, my wizard101 also will not work on my macbook air with macos big sur. it tries to load the game then disappears, the log in page doesn’t even show up. I tried earlier today and tried again just now and it’s still not working for me. Thanks.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2017
I tried to log on to Wizard 101, but it is still not working. It no longer gives me the message that I have the most up-to-date version of Wizard 101. It flashes something on my screen too fast to read and then closes. I do use a MacBook Pro and have BigSur 11.1.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
Last update: I’ve actually just redownloaded it again and it worked this time!! Feel free to post the first and this response and not the one from a few minutes ago :D. On a macbook air with macOS big sur.

Explorer
Sep 25, 2016
That's great!! Thank you for this! Will Big Sur be supported on Pirate101 soon too?

Survivor
Sep 11, 2010
Thank you for the effort, glad we can now play on Mac M1. My game however lags incredibly bad throughout now, especially in dense areas like the commons. My game is still in the process of loading all in game data but not sure if thats a contributing factor. Have tried also restarting computer and such but no change. Using MacBook Air M1 16 GB RAM.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2010
Hello, Im running wizard101 on my MacBook Pro and I can finally load wiz. However, when I get in the game I so slow I can barely move around. Anything I can do? Thanks

Survivor
Jul 10, 2020
I am able to launch the game. My macOS version is BigSur 11.0.1

One thing that I'm a bit concerned is, that it is supper laggy and freezes when loading in everything. That same thing happened when I downloaded wizard101 through the app crossover.

I did uninstall crossover and all but when I go to Finder and search throughout my Mac "wizard101", the icon of the Windows version of Wizard101 in it's installation files has the crossover icon even though I have uninstalled it. I have tried changing it by right clicking on it and selecting the "open with" option but says that Windows apps cannot open on Mac.

Will the lag go away eventually once everything stops loading? or do I need to do something?

Thank you!

Administrator
For those experiencing slow/laggy gameplay, what was the performance like the last time you were able to play before macOS Big Sur?

Survivor
Aug 14, 2009
Hi! Last time I played the game was super smooth and only had the occasional lag in crowded areas like the Commons. Just tried launching the game and it failed. I'll try again and update.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2010
I haven't played wiz in quite some time. Last time I played was about 2012.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2020
Sparck on Jan 15, 2021 wrote:
For those experiencing slow/laggy gameplay, what was the performance like the last time you were able to play before macOS Big Sur?
I personally don't have any previous experience playing Wizard101 on a Mac. I bought my first M1 MacBook Pro early December 2020.

But I made the post above since I never had any type of fps lag when trying to load the game on my Windows PC.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2020
It still won't work for me. I have a MacBook Air with Big Sur 11.1. Whenever I try to launch, it pulls up a window saying please wait while this application shuts down or something. I have also uninstalled it and reinstalled it about three times. Is there anything else I can do?

Survivor
Feb 01, 2011
I had to trash my original app but then downloaded and reinstalled and it works fine. thanks KI.

Survivor
Aug 14, 2009
Returning to update my last post. Game is running. It's laggy, though still playable. I'm attributing it to all the in game downloads for now, only because my MacBook Pro is new. Happy questing!

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
Sparck on Jan 7, 2021 wrote:
JAN. 14 UPDATE:

We're happy to inform you that Wizard101 now supports Big Sur!

Depending on your exact setup, you may need to reinstall the game before it will let you log in, especially if you updated to Big Sur before Jan. 13th.

Please post any technical concerns related to macOS Big Sur in the comments below. If you have any general account related questions, please read our FAQ and knowledgebase first and then contact customer support and they will be happy to assist further.

Pirate101 support will be implemented soon.

Thank you for your extended patience as we worked to implement this compatibility.
Thank you so so so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
Yeah, this isn't working for me either. I've got a 2018 MacBook Pro with Big Sur 11.1, too. Every time I try to open it flashes a window saying "please wait while this application shuts down. Any clue what's going on?