Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ratbeard Dev Diary: Karamelle PvP Update

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 02, 2009
Seriously. I'm not new to Wizard101, but I just started playing PvP a few months ago - for fishing gear. I found it to be less of a chore than I expected, so I stayed, because I'd always wanted the Gorilla mount.

I followed every guide I could. Worked to get spells. Spent crowns on plants and packs and trained pet after pet.

The bar for entry is steep. Gold. Crowns. Time. A really, really thick skin, because the toxic atmosphere is real.

And almost every preparation I spent months working on, collecting plants for, farming crazy tasks for, is now moot.

Thanks. I thought the point of the game was supposed to be fun. I was finally getting to the point where I was starting to realize the fun in PvP and winning a match now and then. Tournaments only, ranked PvP is, reputedly, an even more toxic cesspool.

One I apparently will HAVE to participate in if I want any chance of ever getting this not even remotely adequate replacement spell.

Without a fix to a broken pip economy (Deckathalon decks are a broken addition to PvP), this fix does nothing useful except render a lot of time, effort and money of players useless and wasted.

I was just tiptoeing into PvP. I even got a membership, tempted to actually try my hand at ranked PvP for 5th Age. Now I'm tempted to just hang up my barely used PvP hat and quit.

I was going to ask for Wizard101 giftcards for Christmas. I guess I'll think of something else.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
SabertoothZ on Nov 30, 2020 wrote:
Bruh
Quick shoutout to this guy who used his first post in 10 years of this game to react to this sudden change.

Regardless of my opinion on this change, it was piggybacked on Test like a sketchy addendum to a bill. I know you want "Big Data" but essentially testing in Production is a big nono to anyone in IT. It just screams that you don't want feedback too. What's sad is that I actually think enchants are grossly broken and Solar Surge is a decent way to address it, I just dislike that it seemed thrown in at the last minute.

Also, making X pips spells use just +50 is just dirty. I'll even write you the pseudocode:

var SolarSurge (spell SpellToEnchant) {
if (SpellToEnchant.rank() == 'X') {
SpellToEnchant.description.push("+??");
SpellToEnchant.enchanted = "SolarSurge";
}
// use existing code for rest
}

var calculateEnchantDamage(spell SpellCast) {
if (SpellCast.enchanted == "SolarSurge") {
// solar surge calculation
if (SpellCast.pipsUsed() == 0) {
return SpellCast.damage() + 50;
}
else if (SpellCast.pipsUsed() > 6) {
return SpellCast.damage() + 300;
}
else {
return SpellCast.damage() + (SpellCast.pipsUsed() * 50);
}
}

Heck, you adjust the spell description each round in Quick Match PvP, so you have a solid implementation there. The only thing you'd have to worry about is casting pip calculation (i.e. Mana-burn taking pips, pips given same turn).

I'm sure your setup is very different from this, but I'm just being cheeky. There's no solid reason an enchanted 4-pip Tempest should do 370 damage (320+50) while Meteor Strike would do 505-545 (325+200).

Survivor
Apr 13, 2016
Can we get pvp for lower levels fixed. there's just no way 60's can contend with 90's without pure luck. There's barely any chance for 40's to beat 60's and DEFINITELY no way in the spiral can a magus beat a legendary.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
Kenneththedeathlyd... on Nov 12, 2020 wrote:
I feel like this is gonna make the game more rng then it already is, because in pvp (at least at max) you already pack dispels, set shieldsC, blades, aegis, sharpen, shrike, and maybe weakness or an aura, but having to put hits and enchants is going to make this even more rng. Thus, matches could turn to whoever has the best deck luck, rather than skill.
What makes you say that?

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Sparck on Nov 11, 2020 wrote:
Ratbeard has posted another dev diary! Get a look at our ideas of how PvP will change when Karamelle is released:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/dev-diary/karamelle-pvp-update

Let us know what you think in a reply below.
Hello Sparck, and happy new year. I am keeping this short, so hopefully I can see a response.

(1) I went to try solar surge in Golem Tower, and it did not appear. Is Solar Surge PVP only?

(2) What needs to happen for certain "Pre-made" Mutate Cards to be allowed in PVP? Some Mutates are not overpowering, and would not upset the side deck if carefully selecting which mutate cards to be allowed. For example, Fire Wyvern is an Over time spell and makes sense to allow. Ice Elf and Storm elf would be out of character for both schools and would not be allowed in PVP as "pre made." Reaction?

(3) When will Ramp return to it's original form, or can it be permanently change to a 5-pip clone of Frost Bite? Again, this would not be out of character for Fire.

Many thanks and Hope you and KI have a prosperous, exciting and profitable 2021! :)

Survivor
Mar 17, 2017
Hi thanks for the post. When is the crit exploit in beginners tier going to be fixed. Its really hard beating a grand with Glendening gear as a lvl 16. Shouldn't anyone with crit be put into the intermediate group?