Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical hit and block system. Why was it changed????

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 29, 2009
Alright. I have been playing this game for over ten years, I took a break from the game and come back to this new critical hitting and blocking system. Before, just as I do now, i had the BEST gear i could have had - I always blocked critical spells and very often when land one. Now? I RARELY block them - it was brought down to 27%.

This is so screwed up. I have invested so much time and money into this game to get the best gear only to have it all worthless afterwards. I don't know how the percentage is calculated from gear but it DESPERATELY needs a buff, because with the darkmoor gear, a good pet that adds critical, a crowns only wand, several jewels AND the best deck I can find my total percentage is 37%.

I love this game, but I've never been so furious with it at the same time. It's insulting that the system was changed like this, especially in such a dramatic way, to make my wizard so much weaker. Kingsisle, please fix this. I don't know who's idea it was to change the system to this, but it't made the game so much more frustrating.

The fact is that any given person is less motivated to put in the work for the good gear. Putting in the work means playing the game, so by changing this system and making that good gear worse only decreases everyone's motivation to play the game more. You will lose money. For everyone's sake, fix this.

Explorer
Feb 21, 2010
personally, i don't think they care if they generate less revenue or not. The game has out-lived its expected life cycle already. there are may methods suggested elsewhere in the forums that could generate income that go unheard and unincorporated. sometimes i wonder if they intentionally put in these changes to frustrate players into quitting. That's how it feels sometimes.

Explorer
Jan 11, 2013
If memory serves me correct, this change was implemented in the 2016 Mirage update. There are 2 "main" ways you can take with the **PvE** meta as of now. For one, you can do a "balanced" build, which is what I prefer. I've been working on my death wizard recently with a build similar to this. I have 34% universal defense, good accuracy, and 114% damage, which, admittedly there are many ways in which I could improve at the moment (personally waiting for dragoon gear and paradox), but it has worked out fine. However, his critical sits at a sad 1% due to critical decay. The other route you can take is to get perfect critical, which for max requires about 800 crit rating. This route requires significantly more grinding, however your damage output is insane. It's quite sad that the best gear is no longer the best anymore, but there are definitely ways to get around it.