Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A dynamic rng-less calculator to determine who is first in turn order:

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 26, 2016
Alright, so here’s a lengthy post on a possible idea that could potentially be one of the biggest fixes/alternatives to addressing turn order issues in wizard101. In wizard101, turn order disadvantage has been a long-standing problem since the game began. The game begins with 1 planning phase with both team A going first and team B going second after. Continually being put in blind predictive situation of trying to see what the first team plays with no planning phase to reach in between; the second team is put in a huge disadvantage that builds up round after round after round. I know a turn-based system where a planning phase between both team A and team B can choose their spells in half-rounds is the top contender to fix this solution, but I want to propose an alternative solution to keep ideas flowing throughout KI.
---
Recently, I have been playing this turn based mmo called TemTem, and I love how it’s turn-based system is dynamic, but also rng-free and resource-limited to reduce spam strategies in its combat. It has 1 planning phase for both teams, but the crazier more dynamic part of this combat is determined by its non-rng turn based order.
---
The turn order of each temtem is determined by their (turn number)=(speed stat)x(speed multiplier of each move). This number is not a probability number and the order each temtem on both team’s is decided by the highest number first in an array is absolute guaranteed. RNG is only decided when 2 numbers are exactly the same, BUT based on how many different move multipliers plus different temtem speed stats there are, the chances of this situation ever occurring are near 0%. This creates very dynamic round skill play on what moves should I use utilitizing both my stamina and partially knowing the order of my move. Some moves do heavy damage but have a smaller turn number so they are casted near the end; other moves do utility or small damage hits, but have really high move number multipliers so they are casted first or second in the order of that round. This invokes skill in the player to adapt their move combos with their temtem for different dynamically created battle situations. I deeply enjoyed how dynamic and rng-free a turn based combat system could be in both PvE and PvP within Temtem.
---
Wizard101 in pvp currently has both problems with rng spikes and turn-order of spells. But like temtem, wizard101 has 1 planning phase for both teams, and utilizes pips as a resources that could potentially be more resourceful in calculations. Currently, the higher pip a base card hit is; the card spikes up in damage more and utilizes crazier and crazier utility; the harder it is to recover and respond to that hit and utility scaling from second. What if we introduced a similar turn order rng-less number speed stat system that determines turn-order utilizing how many pips you used on a card during planning phase.
---

In this formula below the closer a turn_order_number is to 0 the closer it is to being first to cast in order.

Formula: turn_order_number=(1+player_level)x(1+pips_used_on_card+[const1]x[first_streak])
---
player_level -> the higher the player level the more unlikely you are to be first
-used to counter disadvantages of being a higher level player casting their move earlier than you
---
turn_order_number-> the lowest number determines first in turn order of the player
-not a probability stat, only use rng when 2 numbers are exactly the same
---
pips_used_on_card -> integer of pips the player put during planning phase; shadow pips count as +5
-this is used to make the player determine whether they would do a smaller fast hit or utility in an earlier turn order or a bigger more harmful hit in a later turn order
-used to counter and prevent unresponsive big pip crazy hits being casted first in turn order that leaves second in a situation they can not recover from
---
first_streak -> streak number of how many times in a row you were first in previous rounds in total; 0 if you were second the entire time; 1 if you were first turn at least once in an entire match; 5 if you were first 5 times in any previous rounds the entire match etc… etc…
-counters strategies utilizing low pip utility/smaller hits to maximize being first in a turn order for too long
---
Cons1->a constant that multiplies to first_streak;
---
Const1=(player_power_pip_chance/100.0+pips_player_currently_has/24.0)/2.0
---
player_power_pip_chance -> total power pip chance 0-100 a player has;
-equalizes out power pip advantage when building up for a bigger hit that uses more pips
---
Pips_player_currently_has -> white pip=1;powerpip=2;shadow pip=5
-7 power pips +2shadow pips for example = 24/24
---

-equalizes out the advantage of building up a lot of pips for a huge hit or combo, but also maximized on being first using smaller hits/utility for too long

This will invoke a system of so many different dynamic playstyles and skills. The formula I used was inspired mostly for 1v1, but can be adjusted and tweaked for 1v1 further and team pvp turn order.
---
Situations of skill and strategy can be like:
“Oh I’ll blade up first, but will be vunerable in a later turn order with heavy high pip hit.”
“Oh I’ll use small pip hit’s and spam maximizing on being first for awhile, but I’ll risk losing my first streak later on and possibly pip deficient.”
“Oh they are gonna use a efreet or weaver this round, but if I use a low pip shield. I will get a lower turn order and possibly prevent a huge damage spike to me.”
“Oh I’ll shield spam, but it might bite me back later on with my first streak”
This system is easy to adjust spells as it’s simply increasing or decreasing pip cost for a spell to be used effectively in the right counterable, but also winnable instance.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
All of this is really great but they're adding turn based soon anyway