Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Issue with Spellements and How to Fix It, Please Read!

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 14, 2010
I was excited to see the Spellwriting system come to the game, the possibilities and potential this system has to revitalize combat is endless. The new spells Daybringer and Nightbringer are fantastic additions to the game and make way for a lot of cool new strategies in PVP or to fight bosses in PvE (particularly the cheating ones). I was hoping, and I am still hoping, that by adding the lowest level spells to the Spellwriting tab this mechanic would become part of our journey from a fresh new level one wizard to a max level visionary and beyond. But it would seem that idea isn't going to be the case. This is sad, because if we (the players) didn't already have issues with other players' elitist and superior mentalities then I fear this current spellements system (in regards to the Spellemental Skyvern's Hoard Pack) is only going to make it worse.

So onto the issue with the Spellemental Skyvern Hoard pack. Putting the spellements for two low level spells exclusively behind a limited-time paywall, which does not guarantee the buyer a spellement (no less the one they want) every time, and have it be accessible to all players of every level is not a good thing.

The first problem is as follows, while spells like frost beetle and leprechaun aren't super important to endgame or high-level players, at lower levels this could upset the balance of low-level PVP and PvE especially in the case of crowns versus non-crowns players. Not only this but only Ice Beetle and Leprechaun spellements were added to this pack, meaning we could see another bout of pack craziness. Trying to bring back old packs when only thing people might even consider going for is the mount and the Spellements.

The second issue (playing into the crowns versus non-crowns player dilemma) is that one of these spellements is only available in a hoard pack, which costs 399 crowns just for one. On top of this, you're not guaranteed to get a spellement every time, no less the one you're after. After doing the math, if you were so fortunate to get the spellement you wanted every time you opened a pack, to get enough spellements to upgrade either spell once you'd have to spend approximately 29,925 crowns. I've been told if you're particularly lucky you might get the Frost Beetle or Snow Serpent spellements dropped to you from the Ice Deckalathon. Which runs on a massively long cycle against Beastmoon meaning if you miss the Deckalathon your best bet is to wait off for next year to come around. Given the rarity of the drop, getting all the spellements required to upgrade those spells via Deckalathon would take you ages, especially with the limited number of times you can run the Deckalathon in a day.

The third problem is the massive amount of spellements needed to just upgrade the spells, to begin with. Both Leprechaun and Frost Beetle take 75 spellements just to upgrade to the first tier, that's not even the total amount required to upgrade the entire spell! For a higher level or endgame player that might not be so bad. But for a low-level player, the number is a bit daunting, especially when the only way to get these spellements is to buy crowns and toss them into a pack that doesn't guarantee them the spellement they want no less a spellement at all. That alone is enough to case people away from using this mechanic!

The fourth issue is that the overall gain is arguably not worth the investment. For frost beetle, the completely upgraded spell only gets +20 damage or a fixed damage value with a 5% accuracy bonus. For frost beetle, you'd be better of just using Sun School enchantments. Leprechaun stands to be a decent spell that could remain relevant to high-level players with that new healing mechanic with Sun School enchantments to back it up it could be a very handy spell to have, but that is our next issue.

The fifth problem, I have not personally tested, but apparently according to other players once a spell is upgraded via Spellwriting it cannot be enchanted with sun school spells or treasure cards ever again. I cannot say as to whether or not this is an oversight by the game's developers, but if this is intentional than you'd be better off learning and using sun school spells as the story of the game intends. Many players, myself included, fear KI might get rid of the Sun School. Its a very concerning rumor that is floating around, removing an entire school of magic which is as integral to the story as it is to many combat strategies would send a massive shockwave through the entire player community. Removing or dramatically changing the sun school could effectively render every fan made combat guide, dungeon walkthrough, deck set up, and PVP guide useless. That alone could destroy the player community.

That would sum up all the issues with the Spellwriting system as it stands. Now I would like to propose some ways to fix it.

1) Add spellements to dropped boss loot. It's already possible to farm certain bosses for extremely rare reagents (I cannot tell you how many times I have fought Chronos). It's a matter of just picking the bosses and assigning the dropped spellements to that boss. This could be done across multiple worlds with each world dropping a specific tier of spellements. For example, the Lord Nightshade in Wizard City could drop spellements for rank 1 & 2 Death spells, while another boss in Krokotopia might drop the rank 3 & 4, a boss in Marleybone might drop rank 4 & 5, Mooshu could drop 5 & 6, Dragonspyre rank 7 & 8, and so on... (or however it needs to be balanced). This would entice higher level players to revisit to older worlds and possibly encourage higher level players to assist lower level players via team-ups, or just ambiently as they go about their business. Spellements could be dropped by particularly powerful mobs or be part of second chance chests for people who don't want to farm as badly.

2) Add spellement drops to challenging certain dungeons or skeleton key bosses. These could be like the 4 Dungeons, The Immortal Games dungeons, Sunken City, Briskbreeze Tower, Tomb of the Beguiler, Kensington Park, Tower of the Helephant, etc... could have spellements for all the schools drop throughout them (each dungeon dropping spellements at the appropriate rank for their world). This would entice players to not only revisit old worlds, and replay old dungeons, or help other players with these particularly challenging dungeons, but also by having the spellements drop throughout players would be encouraged to finish the dungeon or boss encounter.

3) When in doubt have the Loremaster drop it, if the poor soul wasn't buys being farmed enough, you could also have her drop the spellements for the Lore Spells. Or have her just drop spellements for Lore spells.

4) Increase the drop rate of spellements from the Deckalathon, and maybe run the Deckalathon more often? Or run multiple school deckalathons at the same time? For example, run the Fire and Ice Deckalathon at the same time, or run all the Elemental Schools at the same time, then switch to the Spirit Schools for the next month.

5) Put Spellements in their own packs sorted by school, no junk or useless stuff just pure spellements. If you're a wizard dead set on purchasing spellements because you don't want to farm for them, you could go into the crown shop find the Spellemental pack for your school and open a bunch of them. These packs would give you randomized spellements for spells strictly in your school, the higher level the spell the rarer the corresponding spellement. You could even have the proposed mutated spells spellements as an extremely rare exclusive top tier drop.

6) Do all of these or a combination thereof. Spell writing is a great idea and has a lot of potential, and as I said with Spellwriting in our tool belt from level one and the Sun school behind it, new unique strategies could arise for PVP and PvE. As I said just previously Wizard101 could shift toward a more skill-based game than stat-based one with the help of Spellwriting.

I understand and fully support KI receiving payment for what they do, because what they do is difficult, but I also believe there's a better way than this. I didn't mean for this to be so long but if you made it here congratulations! Pat yourself on the back and tell me what you think bellow. Maybe someone out there is listening.

Survivor
Jan 16, 2010
This post echos my own concerns with what we've seen so far from the spell writing system, though it may just be that there are things planned that we haven't seen yet from the Devs.

I love you first proposed solution. I 100% believe this is how they should approach it, it would entice older players to go back to past worlds and incentivize them to maintain a membership even if they've finished the current quest line.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
My biggest issue is the pre-enchanting. I have no idea what made them go the route they did with it, literally nobody was complaining. If the issue was "the game is too easy" then just don't make the enchant TC accessible to lower levels 4head? Gargantuan & Unstoppable already have these and there's no reason to not do the same with the others. Magus PvP and other low-level stuff would suffer, true, but I'd have no issue with still allowing accuracy tc to be used.

Of course, PvP players are affected more than anyone by this change - I myself do some of it and the current meta revolves around having a mostly defensive main deck and an offensive side deck - with enchanted treasure cards. Keep in mind this is still a card game and as such there's gonna be a lot of RNG that people will want to keep to a minimum. Having hits in side, enchanted or not, is currently the best way to mitigate the excessive amount of RNG that card games like Wiz has. Removing the option outright is a bad idea and will be unhealthy for PvP.

Survivor
May 27, 2013
The Lore Keeper on Feb 13, 2020 wrote:
I was excited to see the Spellwriting system come to the game, the possibilities and potential this system has to revitalize combat is endless. The new spells Daybringer and Nightbringer are fantastic additions to the game and make way for a lot of cool new strategies in PVP or to fight bosses in PvE (particularly the cheating ones). I was hoping, and I am still hoping, that by adding the lowest level spells to the Spellwriting tab this mechanic would become part of our journey from a fresh new level one wizard to a max level visionary and beyond. But it would seem that idea isn't going to be the case. This is sad, because if we (the players) didn't already have issues with other players' elitist and superior mentalities then I fear this current spellements system (in regards to the Spellemental Skyvern's Hoard Pack) is only going to make it worse.

So onto the issue with the Spellemental Skyvern Hoard pack. Putting the spellements for two low level spells exclusively behind a limited-time paywall, which does not guarantee the buyer a spellement (no less the one they want) every time, and have it be accessible to all players of every level is not a good thing.

The first problem is as follows, while spells like frost beetle and leprechaun aren't super important to endgame or high-level players, at lower levels this could upset the balance of low-level PVP and PvE especially in the case of crowns versus non-crowns players. Not only this but only Ice Beetle and Leprechaun spellements were added to this pack, meaning we could see another bout of pack craziness. Trying to bring back old packs when only thing people might even consider going for is the mount and the Spellements.

The second issue (playing into the crowns versus non-crowns player dilemma) is that one of these spellements is only available in a hoard pack, which costs 399 crowns just for one. On top of this, you're not guaranteed to get a spellement every time, no less the one you're after. After doing the math, if you were so fortunate to get the spellement you wanted every time you opened a pack, to get enough spellements to upgrade either spell once you'd have to spend approximately 29,925 crowns. I've been told if you're particularly lucky you might get the Frost Beetle or Snow Serpent spellements dropped to you from the Ice Deckalathon. Which runs on a massively long cycle against Beastmoon meaning if you miss the Deckalathon your best bet is to wait off for next year to come around. Given the rarity of the drop, getting all the spellements required to upgrade those spells via Deckalathon would take you ages, especially with the limited number of times you can run the Deckalathon in a day.

The third problem is the massive amount of spellements needed to just upgrade the spells, to begin with. Both Leprechaun and Frost Beetle take 75 spellements just to upgrade to the first tier, that's not even the total amount required to upgrade the entire spell! For a higher level or endgame player that might not be so bad. But for a low-level player, the number is a bit daunting, especially when the only way to get these spellements is to buy crowns and toss them into a pack that doesn't guarantee them the spellement they want no less a spellement at all. That alone is enough to case people away from using this mechanic!

The fourth issue is that the overall gain is arguably not worth the investment. For frost beetle, the completely upgraded spell only gets +20 damage or a fixed damage value with a 5% accuracy bonus. For frost beetle, you'd be better of just using Sun School enchantments. Leprechaun stands to be a decent spell that could remain relevant to high-level players with that new healing mechanic with Sun School enchantments to back it up it could be a very handy spell to have, but that is our next issue.

The fifth problem, I have not personally tested, but apparently according to other players once a spell is upgraded via Spellwriting it cannot be enchanted with sun school spells or treasure cards ever again. I cannot say as to whether or not this is an oversight by the game's developers, but if this is intentional than you'd be better off learning and using sun school spells as the story of the game intends. Many players, myself included, fear KI might get rid of the Sun School. Its a very concerning rumor that is floating around, removing an entire school of magic which is as integral to the story as it is to many combat strategies would send a massive shockwave through the entire player community. Removing or dramatically changing the sun school could effectively render every fan made combat guide, dungeon walkthrough, deck set up, and PVP guide useless. That alone could destroy the player community.

That would sum up all the issues with the Spellwriting system as it stands. Now I would like to propose some ways to fix it.

1) Add spellements to dropped boss loot. It's already possible to farm certain bosses for extremely rare reagents (I cannot tell you how many times I have fought Chronos). It's a matter of just picking the bosses and assigning the dropped spellements to that boss. This could be done across multiple worlds with each world dropping a specific tier of spellements. For example, the Lord Nightshade in Wizard City could drop spellements for rank 1 & 2 Death spells, while another boss in Krokotopia might drop the rank 3 & 4, a boss in Marleybone might drop rank 4 & 5, Mooshu could drop 5 & 6, Dragonspyre rank 7 & 8, and so on... (or however it needs to be balanced). This would entice higher level players to revisit to older worlds and possibly encourage higher level players to assist lower level players via team-ups, or just ambiently as they go about their business. Spellements could be dropped by particularly powerful mobs or be part of second chance chests for people who don't want to farm as badly.

2) Add spellement drops to challenging certain dungeons or skeleton key bosses. These could be like the 4 Dungeons, The Immortal Games dungeons, Sunken City, Briskbreeze Tower, Tomb of the Beguiler, Kensington Park, Tower of the Helephant, etc... could have spellements for all the schools drop throughout them (each dungeon dropping spellements at the appropriate rank for their world). This would entice players to not only revisit old worlds, and replay old dungeons, or help other players with these particularly challenging dungeons, but also by having the spellements drop throughout players would be encouraged to finish the dungeon or boss encounter.

3) When in doubt have the Loremaster drop it, if the poor soul wasn't buys being farmed enough, you could also have her drop the spellements for the Lore Spells. Or have her just drop spellements for Lore spells.

4) Increase the drop rate of spellements from the Deckalathon, and maybe run the Deckalathon more often? Or run multiple school deckalathons at the same time? For example, run the Fire and Ice Deckalathon at the same time, or run all the Elemental Schools at the same time, then switch to the Spirit Schools for the next month.

5) Put Spellements in their own packs sorted by school, no junk or useless stuff just pure spellements. If you're a wizard dead set on purchasing spellements because you don't want to farm for them, you could go into the crown shop find the Spellemental pack for your school and open a bunch of them. These packs would give you randomized spellements for spells strictly in your school, the higher level the spell the rarer the corresponding spellement. You could even have the proposed mutated spells spellements as an extremely rare exclusive top tier drop.

6) Do all of these or a combination thereof. Spell writing is a great idea and has a lot of potential, and as I said with Spellwriting in our tool belt from level one and the Sun school behind it, new unique strategies could arise for PVP and PvE. As I said just previously Wizard101 could shift toward a more skill-based game than stat-based one with the help of Spellwriting.

I understand and fully support KI receiving payment for what they do, because what they do is difficult, but I also believe there's a better way than this. I didn't mean for this to be so long but if you made it here congratulations! Pat yourself on the back and tell me what you think bellow. Maybe someone out there is listening.
Thank you for addressing this, I just left World of Warcraft because of similar problems over at Blizzard; greed. I came back to this game, played it and realized how broke it is. Of the many aspects of this game that need to be fixed, I really hope they don't follow through with this "pay to win" ideal.

A progression system that should've already been in the game shouldn't be gated behind economic standings. If this path doesn't change, I'm ready to boycott this game and advocate for others to do so as well to force change. But I appreciate the detail you put into the response to give them feedback.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
dmpbyu on Feb 14, 2020 wrote:
This post echos my own concerns with what we've seen so far from the spell writing system, though it may just be that there are things planned that we haven't seen yet from the Devs.

I love you first proposed solution. I 100% believe this is how they should approach it, it would entice older players to go back to past worlds and incentivize them to maintain a membership even if they've finished the current quest line.
It feels like whenever KI takes two steps forward in design and game development they take two steps backwards in player accessibility and marketing.

As an adult I see a pack like the Spellemental Skyvern's Hoard and look at it as a rip off. The contents aren't relatvent anymore no less anything I really want, and like I said before I am not guaranteed the Spellements and the amount needed to upgrade once is really high in my opinion. As an adult I have better things to spend money on (bills, groceries, pet food, etc...) than the spellements in this pack. Thus I am inclined to look at this, shake my head, throw my hands in the air and ask "why KI?".

On the flip side of things there's the kids who beg and plead with their parents for crowns, who are ultimately going to waste them on this pack and be disappointed.

Then you have the parents who look at packs as gambling and will refuse to let their kids play the game entirely. Then there are the parents who will refuse to spend money on the game because they don't want to deal with their child whining for more crowns because they didn't get the thing they wanted from a pack.

As a child I was insanely LUCKY just to have a memberships to the game! As a family we didn't have a lot of extra money, so chances I got crowns was once in a blue moon. You cannot believe the disappointment, envy, and frustration I felt when the Dragons Hoard Pack first came out.

I suppose I wish KI would step away from putting things in packs. It's just not efficient or sustainable in the long run.

It just feels like every time there's a Shop update, KI makes the Crown Shop more and more into a slot machine. There's better ways of dealing with these things, I just hope KI can see it.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Another option which may or may not already be in game is to add spellements to the Spiral Showcase and/or Scroll of Fortune. Then tailor the Scroll or Showcase's spellements to the PC's school of choice (if you're a Death Wizard you'd see Death School Spellements, Fire Wizard sees Fire Spellements, and so on).

That way if Spellements had to be 100% tied to Crowns in the Scroll of Fortune, at least they could be earned more consistently alongside other rewards.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
I will also say if KI absolutely must have Spellements in packs, at the very least can we have them in packs that make sense and implement them in a way that is relatively advantageous to the buyer/player?

Having Spellements for spells that have been here since before beta, spells that we know and love and have had with us since Unicorn Way put into packs doesn't really make sense.

In my mind, and correct me if I am wrong, these spells' spellements should be earned though game play and should not be purchaseable as to avoid implementing a Pay-to-Win mechanic in pvp and pve.

Instead perhaps the pack spells that can already be acquired through Crowns (and a whole lot of luck) should have corresponding spellements added to their packs.

For example Grizzleheim Lore pack in addition to dropping the spells Ratatoskr's Spin, Thor's Hammer, and Grendel's Amends could also drop the Spellements for those specific spells. These Spellements in this aspect would be a very common drop.

Having the Spellements as a common drop would make a nice sort of 'consolation prize', while you may have dropped 60,000 crowns on the pack and didn't get any of the spells, you did get a ton of Spellements with which you can unlock the spell and maybe have some left over to upgrade it.

This would be great to see implemented with Lore Pack spells, and would maybe intise players to actually take the chance and buy them, because this way they can't really lose.

If they're one if the lucky few who get a spell dropped to them great! Any spellements they got towards the spell can go immediately towards upgrading it. If the player didn't get the spell they wanted or weren't dropped any spells at all, no worries! You may have been dropped enough spellments to unlock the desired spell.

This would definitely help cut down buyer's remorse when it comes to trying to get Lore Pack spells, and also cut down on the angry rants and complaints from players who wanted the spell but didn't get it. It would also provide another more reasonable option to get these spells via crowns.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
It would also be nice to see Spell Writing become a relevant mechanic for players of all levels. As of right now the number of spellements required to upgrade one the lower rank spells once is a bit high. Especially since the part of the player base that uses these spells are a much lower level with fewer resources at their disposal, than higher level or endgame players.

To fix this I would suggest dramatically lowering the cost to upgrade lower rank spells, but having more available perks as well as more extensive upgrade paths.

This would allow new players to get their feet wet in Spell Writing system, while allowing low rank spells to reemerge at higher levels, and maybe also introduce a wide range of new uses for lower rank spells. This could also help revitalize the pvp and pve setting, and help the combat move more towards a skill based system versus as stat based one.

Meanwhile higher rank spells (for example Fire Dragon) could cost more spellements to upgrade but have fewer overall paths and perks. This would help balance out the Spell Writing mechanic as higher rank spells are added to it. Since these spells are already fairly powerful as is, they don't need a massive boost. On top of this the players who have them are already a higher level, with a greater reach in the Spiral and better access to the necessary resources.

There's a lovely quote I found that would sum up this idea, it states, "Do not judge a master wizard by his greatest creations or grandest illusions instead judge him by his cantrips and how he uses them." -Unknown. Basically do not underestimate a spell because it simple, as a smart wizard can use that seemingly simple spell to devastating effect. Within the realms of the game I think Merle Ambrose and multitude of other famous wizards would agree with that statement.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Another option I didn't really have room to mention was perhaps making Spellements craftable.

Though I would take into consideration the amount of Spellements required to upgrade a spell when creating the recipe.

The reagents required to fulfill these recipes should be determined by the rank of the spell. The higher the spell's rank the rarer but fewer overall reagents required. On the other hand, the lower the rank of the spell the more common the reagents needed, however you'll need a slightly higher quantity to fill the recipe.

I don't think the quantities of these reagents, (based upon the spell's rank, and reagents rarity) should be incredibly easy or difficult to obtain, but rather a happy medium between the two.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
JewelKI on Feb 15, 2020 wrote:
My biggest issue is the pre-enchanting. I have no idea what made them go the route they did with it, literally nobody was complaining. If the issue was "the game is too easy" then just don't make the enchant TC accessible to lower levels 4head? Gargantuan & Unstoppable already have these and there's no reason to not do the same with the others. Magus PvP and other low-level stuff would suffer, true, but I'd have no issue with still allowing accuracy tc to be used.

Of course, PvP players are affected more than anyone by this change - I myself do some of it and the current meta revolves around having a mostly defensive main deck and an offensive side deck - with enchanted treasure cards. Keep in mind this is still a card game and as such there's gonna be a lot of RNG that people will want to keep to a minimum. Having hits in side, enchanted or not, is currently the best way to mitigate the excessive amount of RNG that card games like Wiz has. Removing the option outright is a bad idea and will be unhealthy for PvP.
I doubt that I am the only level 130 Balance Wizard who likes to keeps an enchanted Scorpion or two in my PvP side deck for killing minions or breaking shields. That is our two pip hit and now we can't put it in our side deck! And there aren't even spellements for scorpions yet.

People seem to liker Nightbringer and Daybreaker, but as best I can tell, community response to the Spellements system has been almost 100% negative. The word on Youtube is that is is another case of "pay to win." I slightly disagree with that assessment, because even an upgraded Frost Beetle isn't going to do much damage, unless at a higher tier that two pip spell does 1000 damage, which would be silly.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Liam Swiftwalker on Feb 17, 2020 wrote:
I doubt that I am the only level 130 Balance Wizard who likes to keeps an enchanted Scorpion or two in my PvP side deck for killing minions or breaking shields. That is our two pip hit and now we can't put it in our side deck! And there aren't even spellements for scorpions yet.

People seem to liker Nightbringer and Daybreaker, but as best I can tell, community response to the Spellements system has been almost 100% negative. The word on Youtube is that is is another case of "pay to win." I slightly disagree with that assessment, because even an upgraded Frost Beetle isn't going to do much damage, unless at a higher tier that two pip spell does 1000 damage, which would be silly.
As an idea Spell Writing has a lot of potential, and I really hope that these issues will be addressed sooner rather than later.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
earthelement77 on Feb 15, 2020 wrote:
Thank you for addressing this, I just left World of Warcraft because of similar problems over at Blizzard; greed. I came back to this game, played it and realized how broke it is. Of the many aspects of this game that need to be fixed, I really hope they don't follow through with this "pay to win" ideal.

A progression system that should've already been in the game shouldn't be gated behind economic standings. If this path doesn't change, I'm ready to boycott this game and advocate for others to do so as well to force change. But I appreciate the detail you put into the response to give them feedback.
Spell Writing has the potential to change the game or kill it, and I'm afraid of what might happen if KI continues on this particular path.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
JewelKI on Feb 15, 2020 wrote:

KI took out pre-enchanting because of Deckalathon, I largely attribute this to Blaze Lifehammer's video when the event first released to Test Realm and he said he could just pre-enchant the cards he needed for the event and it would be a piece of cake.

Even still, I don't see why KI didn't just 'ban' pre-enchanted cards from being used in Deckalathon? They've proven they can prevent specific TC's from being used in PvP, I don't see why they couldn't have done the same for Deckalathon...

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I have only one thing to say on this issue. I honestly don't understand the point of Spellements, at all.

Why waste time boosting your spells bit by bit when, as pointed out by others, it's more worthwhile to just use Sun enchants? Why make it a grind when it wasn't before and overhaul a system that was fine the way it is?

To me, Spellements are actually rather pointless. I can see it as a unique way of unlocking Spells, but not improving them. That's the Sun School's job.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Lookit Light on Feb 24, 2020 wrote:
I have only one thing to say on this issue. I honestly don't understand the point of Spellements, at all.

Why waste time boosting your spells bit by bit when, as pointed out by others, it's more worthwhile to just use Sun enchants? Why make it a grind when it wasn't before and overhaul a system that was fine the way it is?

To me, Spellements are actually rather pointless. I can see it as a unique way of unlocking Spells, but not improving them. That's the Sun School's job.
Exactly! Sun enchantments are more effective overall as it stands now. But imagine what we could do if you combine the powers of the Sun School with upgraded spells?

I would rather see the Spell Writing system turn into something that allows us to add unique effects to our Spells and further upgrade those effects as we gain levels. Effects like stun, heal over time, damage over time, delayed damage (where the Spell's full damage wouldn't occur until a little bit later), or double hit spells (basically making a spell act like Minotaur, where is does a first hit then a second, such a wonderful way to get rid of wards).

Spell Writing in case of minion summoning spells, the possibilities are endless. Could you imagine being able to customize a specific minion's behaviors? Upgrades that increase a minion's health or damage output, or upgrades that cause them to only cast buffs on you, cast only wards or traps, maybe an upgrade so the only thing the minion will do is attack.

People have also brought up the possibility that Spell Writing could be used to permanent acquire mutated spells.

This system had the potential to fix a lot of things power wise between the schools. As well as completely change the current endgame activies, and make combat more skill and strategy based.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
The Lore Keeper on Feb 24, 2020 wrote:
Exactly! Sun enchantments are more effective overall as it stands now. But imagine what we could do if you combine the powers of the Sun School with upgraded spells?

I would rather see the Spell Writing system turn into something that allows us to add unique effects to our Spells and further upgrade those effects as we gain levels. Effects like stun, heal over time, damage over time, delayed damage (where the Spell's full damage wouldn't occur until a little bit later), or double hit spells (basically making a spell act like Minotaur, where is does a first hit then a second, such a wonderful way to get rid of wards).

Spell Writing in case of minion summoning spells, the possibilities are endless. Could you imagine being able to customize a specific minion's behaviors? Upgrades that increase a minion's health or damage output, or upgrades that cause them to only cast buffs on you, cast only wards or traps, maybe an upgrade so the only thing the minion will do is attack.

People have also brought up the possibility that Spell Writing could be used to permanent acquire mutated spells.

This system had the potential to fix a lot of things power wise between the schools. As well as completely change the current endgame activies, and make combat more skill and strategy based.
Fair point. I'll agree that Spellwriting would be an effective way to solve the long-debated issue of underwhealming Minions. It has the potential to bring a lot of currently unused spells, such as Taunt/Pacify, Shadow Creatures, and some attack spells, back into the light. It may be confusing to me, but I can see its potential value.

Except when it tries to steal the Sun School's job. That's just painful.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Lookit Light on Feb 25, 2020 wrote:
Fair point. I'll agree that Spellwriting would be an effective way to solve the long-debated issue of underwhealming Minions. It has the potential to bring a lot of currently unused spells, such as Taunt/Pacify, Shadow Creatures, and some attack spells, back into the light. It may be confusing to me, but I can see its potential value.

Except when it tries to steal the Sun School's job. That's just painful.
I think a nice combo effect would be adding the pacify effect to healing spells like Sprite, Fairy, and Satyr. Would help reduce the mob agro long enough for the target to recover then attack.

Because I think we have all been in that scenario where you're the healer, and you healed someone only for them to end up drawing agro and dying again the next turn.

As for adding damage or accuracy I understand why they do it. Sometimes the only way to move forward is to look back, because there's probably going to be a point where the highest level spells in the game are going to get super crazy, and progressing forward in terms of new spells will be very difficult.

Done properly, Spell Writing could reset the playing field and allow us to scale certain spells with our level. So even at level 130 a rank 3 spell could still easily do massive amounts of damage, thus the spell remains pertinent to high level players longer. Thus lower rank spell's reemerge on the playing field. Part of me thinks the same will be true of monsters spells to in coming worlds.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
The Lore Keeper on Feb 15, 2020 wrote:
I will also say if KI absolutely must have Spellements in packs, at the very least can we have them in packs that make sense and implement them in a way that is relatively advantageous to the buyer/player?

Having Spellements for spells that have been here since before beta, spells that we know and love and have had with us since Unicorn Way put into packs doesn't really make sense.

In my mind, and correct me if I am wrong, these spells' spellements should be earned though game play and should not be purchaseable as to avoid implementing a Pay-to-Win mechanic in pvp and pve.

Instead perhaps the pack spells that can already be acquired through Crowns (and a whole lot of luck) should have corresponding spellements added to their packs.

For example Grizzleheim Lore pack in addition to dropping the spells Ratatoskr's Spin, Thor's Hammer, and Grendel's Amends could also drop the Spellements for those specific spells. These Spellements in this aspect would be a very common drop.

Having the Spellements as a common drop would make a nice sort of 'consolation prize', while you may have dropped 60,000 crowns on the pack and didn't get any of the spells, you did get a ton of Spellements with which you can unlock the spell and maybe have some left over to upgrade it.

This would be great to see implemented with Lore Pack spells, and would maybe intise players to actually take the chance and buy them, because this way they can't really lose.

If they're one if the lucky few who get a spell dropped to them great! Any spellements they got towards the spell can go immediately towards upgrading it. If the player didn't get the spell they wanted or weren't dropped any spells at all, no worries! You may have been dropped enough spellments to unlock the desired spell.

This would definitely help cut down buyer's remorse when it comes to trying to get Lore Pack spells, and also cut down on the angry rants and complaints from players who wanted the spell but didn't get it. It would also provide another more reasonable option to get these spells via crowns.
I thought the idea of the spellement system was to upgrade current trained in game spells? Hence why they only started off with the level 1 and 2 spells and then later on implement that on the other rank spells to level 5. The idea of not being able to enchant them is a bit odd yet understandable considering their pip value do go up. Perhaps spellement would of been better off if it was a trainable sun spell, that enchants and changes individual spells with no effects into special type spells with added effect? i dunno. I just don't see the point in endless grinding for things that aren't really a game changer.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
angellifeheart on Feb 26, 2020 wrote:
I thought the idea of the spellement system was to upgrade current trained in game spells? Hence why they only started off with the level 1 and 2 spells and then later on implement that on the other rank spells to level 5. The idea of not being able to enchant them is a bit odd yet understandable considering their pip value do go up. Perhaps spellement would of been better off if it was a trainable sun spell, that enchants and changes individual spells with no effects into special type spells with added effect? i dunno. I just don't see the point in endless grinding for things that aren't really a game changer.
You're initial statement is correct, Spell Writing is meant to be a system by which we can improve our currently trained spells (and even acquire new ones like Daybringer and Nightbringer).

Not being able to enchant spells that we've improved via Spellwriting when the Sun School enchantments are better than the upgrade overall makes no sense. For all the spells under the Spell Writing tab right now (and correct me if I am wrong) none of their pip values increase. For Frost Beetle's bottom tree of improves the Spell only gains +20 damage when the Tough enchantment would add +75 damage. Why should we be forbidden from stacking those two effects?

Sun school spells a virtually unobtainable before Celestia and have been in the game for infinitely longer than Spell Writing, would it be so game breaking to allow us to enchant our upgraded spells? I think not, because as it stands now most players won't even be using Frost Beetle at level 50.

The other major issue is the amount of Spellements required to upgrade these rank 1 spells. Why should I spend crowns trying to get 75 spellements to add +5 damage to my Frost Beetle when I can obtain the 5 pip AOE Reindeer Knight for only 35 Spellements? Granted Reindeer Knight is a seasonal spell, still it makes no sense in the mind of a logical person. Its the same way for Daybringer and Nightbringer, you only need 35 spellements to obtain either.

This is why I say Spell Writing needs fixing because it makes no sense! Rank 1 spells shouldn't cost 75 spellements for one upgrade, and the potential for those upgrades should be something more interesting than a damage buff or better fixed damage rate. Leprechaun is onto something by combining itself with a Minor Blessing type effect.

Imagine if Spell Writing had that type of effect across a wider variety of spells. Having a attack spell also provide a secondary effect in addition to doing damage. For example what it Phoenix did its normal damage effect and healed the caster for some portion of that damage. Or if Bloodbat caused bleed damage that would trigger a round or two after the spell was cast? What if Humongofrog had an acid effect that removed a random singular charm or ward every round for three rounds? Spell writing has the potential to add a lot of interesting never before seen effect to the game. There's so much potential I just don't know if KI can see it.

I perfectly understand the system is very new but right now its a bit of a hot mess. Reducing the overarching cost of upgrading our spells, allowing us to enchant them with Sun school spells, and making Spellements more available to the players who use those spells the most would do wonders for this new system.

For example if KI took Frost Beetle, lowered its upgrade cost, but gave it a longer more varied tree of upgradeable effects and placed certain level requirements at certain tiers that could make it so that spell stays in our deck longer, before we move onto other more powerful spells. Then make the Spellements common drops from wandering mobs or bosses in Colossus Boulevard and boom another reason to buy a membership and or buy the area with crowns and quickly grind for a few spellements at a time.

You can also use this effect to lure the highest level players in our community back to older areas, and give them more reason to help lower level players, even if its only for a single battle or two.

Yes, KI has added Frost Beetle and Leprechaun's Spellements to the Golden Mimic Skeleton key boss in Mirage. The problem? ITS IN MIRAGE. Why would anyone want to use up Skeleton keys farming for rank 1 Spellements for spells that are of no use to the players who can access Mirage? Personally I might farm the boss for pet it drops but to upgrade my rank 1 spells, its not worth the time, effort, or Skeleton Keys. Why would a player in Mirage bother using Frost Beetle or Leprechaun when they have things like Sand Worm, Iron Sultan, etc.... And correct me if I am wrong but we can't teleport into Skeleton Key instances, so its not like you're a high level player who's carry farming a three lower level players. Do I think that spellements should be added to Skeleton Key Boss's loot tables? Of course! But I don't think that Spellements should be exclusively farmable from those bosses.

At the end of the day KI would probably stand to make more money from people buying long term or monthly membership so they can farm the areas who's mobs and bosses drop their School's Spellements, than they do from people turning their noses up to packs or trying to farm different bosses for half a million Gold Skeleton keys.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Okay so according to the most recent KI Live, Spellements are being dropped by specific Skeleton Key bosses across all types of Skeleton Keys (Wooden, Stone, and Gold). Which I suppose is a step in the right direction.

KI also said that that they newer players to be able to really actively begin Spell Writing around level 20, so at least they've had time to learn the game first. They also said anyone if any level could start Spell Writing if they deliberately sought those places/bosses out. Which is nice.

I could reiterate my personal feelings, and I understand this is a very new system in the game. But I think we're moving in a better direction. Iwasnt to know what other people think regarding what was said on KI Live.