Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pedigree can be too high for skills

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 21, 2010
The other day I met a wizard who was immune to death damage. A message actually popped up when he was hit by a death spell that said "Immune." He explained that he had 100% death resistance. I wanted to duplicate this feat. The easiest way seems to be to get a pet with all of the resistance talents. Then I realized that spell defying is a rare talent not epic. So I would actually have to breed a pet of pedigree around 60ish otherwise it would have no rare talent slots, just epic and above.
It just strikes me as odd that gaining a high pedigree would actually prevent you from getting a talent you were breeding for.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
You're absolutely right! This is why I don't like the 'sort by pedigree' option in the hatch kiosk - it suggests high pedigree is something to aim for when it really isn't useful at all!

The pedigree of a pet is simply the sum of the talents they possess in pool.

Common = 1
Uncommon = 2
Rare = 3
Ultra-Rare = 4
Epic = 5

Each pet has 10 main talents and 10 derby talents. With a max of 5 points per talent, the highest possible pedigree is now 100.

The number in brackets next to the pedigree is the manifested pedigree points, calculated as above but only including the manifested talents. As we get a max of 5 main talents and 5 derby talents, the highest possible manifested pedigree is 50.

I have pets with 100 pedigree and I purely have them for FUN...they're my daft pets just because I could make them. They are utterly USELESS as a battle pet because they're crammed with sticky, rubbish talents that are only there because they happen to be 'epic'.

There is no way I'd ever choose something like 'steal charm' (worth 5 pedigree points) over dealer (only worth 4) or one of the givers (worth only 2) or even boon (only 1 pedigree point!).

Beware the pet with high pedigree and those unknown epic talents clogging up their pool! These talents can be difficult to hatch out and once they start manifesting it can be a nightmare to get them to stop...believe me, I had Guardian Wall polluting my storm pool for more hatches than I could count. It was such a relief when it was eventually gone from the pool!

Great observation and keep following the desired talents not the pedigree!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Zebulous Newt on Mar 26, 2019 wrote:
The other day I met a wizard who was immune to death damage. A message actually popped up when he was hit by a death spell that said "Immune." He explained that he had 100% death resistance. I wanted to duplicate this feat. The easiest way seems to be to get a pet with all of the resistance talents. Then I realized that spell defying is a rare talent not epic. So I would actually have to breed a pet of pedigree around 60ish otherwise it would have no rare talent slots, just epic and above.
It just strikes me as odd that gaining a high pedigree would actually prevent you from getting a talent you were breeding for.
My brain isn't working tonight lol...I forgot to mention I have tons of OP ward pets if you'd like to hatch Let me know what you're looking for and I'll let you know which of mine you might like most

PS. I have a life wizzy who is immune to 5 schools