Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Matching System

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
I've said it before and now I'll say it again. The matching system DESPERATELY needs fixing. On what planet does it make sense to match my level 10 ice wizard against a level 38 ice wizard just because they are ranked private while I am veteran?

It is absolutely ridiculous when there is a 38 level difference between me and my opponent especially when at level 10 I don't even have access to my blades unless I get tc out of the bazaar. The match was a joke to be honest and really made me mad too. The wizard could have killed me at any time and I'm pretty sure they strung the match out until they were almost dead just to make fun of what was going on.

The matching system should be matching people not just by what pvp rank they have but their level too. I know it does this somewhat as neither of my 2 low level pvp wizards have gone against someone over level 50 but honestly it doesn't limit things enough. At most I should be facing wizards 5 levels above my current level. Any more than that at least at low level pvp leaves such a huge gap in strength, spells, and health that there is just no way to compensate.

No matter what at level 10 I should not be facing a wizard 28 levels above me at 38. This is the second time I've had such a huge gap. My myth who is only level 15 faced an ice wizard who was ranked private but was level 42! That is a 27 level difference and is still way too much. A private rank should also not be going against a commander rank (The rank of my myth at the time).

The matching system seems to think that if you are a higher rank then it's okay to match you against privates who are over 20 levels higher than you. IT'S NOT!!! Just because someone waited to try pvp until they had leveled up their wizard does not mean a low level with rank has any type of chance to defeat them. The health difference alone guarentees you won't when even with your nice pvp gear.

Please do something about this. It's a problem at higher levels too when it comes to putting max levels with no rank against warlords who have over 1300. But low level especially needs to see some changes.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Luvdogs99 on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
I've said it before and now I'll say it again. The matching system DESPERATELY needs fixing. On what planet does it make sense to match my level 10 ice wizard against a level 38 ice wizard just because they are ranked private while I am veteran?

It is absolutely ridiculous when there is a 38 level difference between me and my opponent especially when at level 10 I don't even have access to my blades unless I get tc out of the bazaar. The match was a joke to be honest and really made me mad too. The wizard could have killed me at any time and I'm pretty sure they strung the match out until they were almost dead just to make fun of what was going on.

The matching system should be matching people not just by what pvp rank they have but their level too. I know it does this somewhat as neither of my 2 low level pvp wizards have gone against someone over level 50 but honestly it doesn't limit things enough. At most I should be facing wizards 5 levels above my current level. Any more than that at least at low level pvp leaves such a huge gap in strength, spells, and health that there is just no way to compensate.

No matter what at level 10 I should not be facing a wizard 28 levels above me at 38. This is the second time I've had such a huge gap. My myth who is only level 15 faced an ice wizard who was ranked private but was level 42! That is a 27 level difference and is still way too much. A private rank should also not be going against a commander rank (The rank of my myth at the time).

The matching system seems to think that if you are a higher rank then it's okay to match you against privates who are over 20 levels higher than you. IT'S NOT!!! Just because someone waited to try pvp until they had leveled up their wizard does not mean a low level with rank has any type of chance to defeat them. The health difference alone guarentees you won't when even with your nice pvp gear.

Please do something about this. It's a problem at higher levels too when it comes to putting max levels with no rank against warlords who have over 1300. But low level especially needs to see some changes.
Start to grandmaster -max pvp and stop with the low level pvp. its a joke you guys wanna get to warlord the easy way. I don't even think low-level pvp ranks should even past veteran. Its funny you would abuse the system the minute you get someone twice your level you start to complain. 100% sure if you were getting privates at your level you would have annihilated them without question

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
angellifeheart on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
Start to grandmaster -max pvp and stop with the low level pvp. its a joke you guys wanna get to warlord the easy way. I don't even think low-level pvp ranks should even past veteran. Its funny you would abuse the system the minute you get someone twice your level you start to complain. 100% sure if you were getting privates at your level you would have annihilated them without question
For starters there is no easy way to get to warlord unless you loremaster spam or use guardian spirit/ jade gear and irritate your opponent into leaving by waiting them out. Low level pvp is not easy to do just because you don't have access to things like shadow spells. In fact in some ways it's harder because we don't have those things. It means you actually have to be able to predict what your opponent is gonna do and counter it. There is no random luck like getting a critical out of nowhere or winning in one turn because you got a shadow pip.

Do you think pvp did not exist at low levels when this game was made? The veteran through commander gear was made for lower level pvp as in level 50 and lower because originally dragonspyre was the end of the game. Your entitled to your opinion but sitting there saying I'm abusing the system because I prefer not to mess with the problems that come with upper level pvp is ridiculous when pvp has been around long before the current upper levels existed.

And no actually I have had privates at my level defeat me. At lower level it really is about strategy. Plus what you won't know since you obviously don't pvp lower than 50 is that many people have gear from other ages and use it even when ranked private. They're are also people who prefer a lower rank so they don't get unfair matches with people over twice their level.

I do max level pvp as well and honestly I just don't like it which is why I prefer the lower level. Max relies to much on getting good luck with shadow pips on top of things like lore spam and guardian spirit.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
angellifeheart on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
Your post also seems to imply I'm some great pvp player for low level (getting warlord easy/ abuse the system). I'm not even close. I only have 2 wizards that pvp low level and only the one is Warlord and literally only by one match. I know for a fact that I'm not the best pvp person out there and originally only started pvp at all to get the robe on one of my wizards because I like how it looks. The only reason I didn't stop at commander on the myth is because commander was close enough to Warlord that I thought I'd try and see if I could get that last rank. Now the only pvp my myth even does is on tournaments.

Abusing the system at this level isn't even possible. I started both my low levels with gear FARMED (please explain how gear you earn by farming is abusing anything cause I don't see it) from lord nightshade and tower of the helephant, which means anyone with the membership needed to pvp can get this gear. Considering you can't get better gear for a low level wizard than that until you hit veteran that means you are literally beating the odds until you hit veteran because most people who play low level already have veteran or commander gear. Once you have the gear you mostly face others who also have it thanks to rank matching (my match against level 38 private one of exceptions that needs fixing) so again where's the abuse in this?

And no matter how you look at it even in upper levels if you go against a wizard that is 28 levels higher than you a match is unfair (for people who don't just spam or guardian anyway). I would never want to be a level 100 wizard against a level 128 simply because of gear and health difference not to mention shadow spells and now scion you have access too.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Word. I see some level 1's with myth mastery or just simply using myth that would abuse the myth ortho hound spell a lot. Imagine if things were the way you said which in a sense fair wouldn't more people at level 1 abuse this to get to warlord? and of course, I know people pvp at all levels I've had people lower levels than me like 10 levels or 10 levels higher. I guess ki will fix this whenever they feel like it.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
angellifeheart on Dec 25, 2018 wrote:
Word. I see some level 1's with myth mastery or just simply using myth that would abuse the myth ortho hound spell a lot. Imagine if things were the way you said which in a sense fair wouldn't more people at level 1 abuse this to get to warlord? and of course, I know people pvp at all levels I've had people lower levels than me like 10 levels or 10 levels higher. I guess ki will fix this whenever they feel like it.
People who are level one and get warlord are quite frankly boosters and yes they do abuse the system (KI has already taken steps to fix things when people do this and you can report people you see who have warlord at level 1 but no gear or losses which is impossible without boosting) but that is completely different than abusing the system just by even doing lower level pvp which is pretty much what you said in your first post.

While I don't know if that was your intention or not your post came across as accusing everyone who does lower level pvp as system abusers just because we do lower level and that we all get warlord easily by doing lower level pvp. Neither of which is true. It's not system abuse to want to pvp at level 10 instead of 50-130 and considering there is a pretty good amount of people who pvp around level 5-25 it's fair to say that getting warlord at that level is not easy. Though I will agree that it's not as hard as getting it at max level because you don't have to deal with things like shadow pips and critical.

What I'm asking for is a matching system that truly takes into account not just your rank but what level you are too. So if you are a level 38 private you go against people who are around level 38 that are also say ranked veteran and lower. If you are like my ice wizard a level 10 ranked veteran you go against people who are around level 10 ranked veteran and higher. And by around their level I mean within 5 levels of the level your wizard is at.

If the system ran like that then those level 1 boosters would abuse it yes, but then they abuse the one we have now so what difference does it make? If you see boosting report them and move on. Don't blame everyone who does pvp under level 50 as a bad guy who does what boosters do.

Really a change like this would benefit almost all levels pvp. The problem becomes worse though at lower level where health differences, power pip chance, and spells available are huge.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Luvdogs99 on Dec 26, 2018 wrote:
People who are level one and get warlord are quite frankly boosters and yes they do abuse the system (KI has already taken steps to fix things when people do this and you can report people you see who have warlord at level 1 but no gear or losses which is impossible without boosting) but that is completely different than abusing the system just by even doing lower level pvp which is pretty much what you said in your first post.

While I don't know if that was your intention or not your post came across as accusing everyone who does lower level pvp as system abusers just because we do lower level and that we all get warlord easily by doing lower level pvp. Neither of which is true. It's not system abuse to want to pvp at level 10 instead of 50-130 and considering there is a pretty good amount of people who pvp around level 5-25 it's fair to say that getting warlord at that level is not easy. Though I will agree that it's not as hard as getting it at max level because you don't have to deal with things like shadow pips and critical.

What I'm asking for is a matching system that truly takes into account not just your rank but what level you are too. So if you are a level 38 private you go against people who are around level 38 that are also say ranked veteran and lower. If you are like my ice wizard a level 10 ranked veteran you go against people who are around level 10 ranked veteran and higher. And by around their level I mean within 5 levels of the level your wizard is at.

If the system ran like that then those level 1 boosters would abuse it yes, but then they abuse the one we have now so what difference does it make? If you see boosting report them and move on. Don't blame everyone who does pvp under level 50 as a bad guy who does what boosters do.

Really a change like this would benefit almost all levels pvp. The problem becomes worse though at lower level where health differences, power pip chance, and spells available are huge.
Although I did state its easier at lower level pvp vs max random rng luck. I have played a balance level 60 and got to warlord within 3 days. a few losses just by abusing the loremaster- clock work minion strategy. I do not think level 60's should attain the title of warlords via level wise hence why the chances of a low-level warlord with game knowledge vs a max level private without any game knowledge balance. Sad to say but this goes on in almost every pvp games.
Pvp has always been this way since it started the real main focus right now is the balance of max pvp. If you wish to do low-level pvp that's good but like I said I still don't think the rank system should be the same for low-level pvp vs max levels.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018

Btw why should boosting be an issue if its an individual sacrifice of one's own time and commitment? even if its considered the cheesy way they are still some who only wish to get gears for stitching. privates shouldn't be paired against anything higher than privates. And if you go on try all mode then you will be paired against someone higher in level. I can see the level difference is a lot. So yes this should be fixed but rank wise a warlord against a private is also unfair especially when they have access to better gears. This game is still paid to win.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018

Seeing that my messages are being blocked for whatever reason ill just get straight to the point. In all fairness, anyone should be able to pvp at any given level of their choice. Truth be told at first I thought max pvp was easier than low-level PVP but that's because it's more luck than strategy as you mentioned earlier. However, I wanted to ask you in your experience how many times have you come across someone 10-15 levels lower than you and you manage to beat them fairly easily and carried on with your winnings without looking back? a private at that. Since the level is a key factor in rank matchups, would you say given the fairness a private should have the same chance of winning as a warlord? because from what I understand being a warlord doesn't affect stats but rather an awareness of game knowledge.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
angellifeheart on Dec 28, 2018 wrote:
Seeing that my messages are being blocked for whatever reason ill just get straight to the point. In all fairness, anyone should be able to pvp at any given level of their choice. Truth be told at first I thought max pvp was easier than low-level PVP but that's because it's more luck than strategy as you mentioned earlier. However, I wanted to ask you in your experience how many times have you come across someone 10-15 levels lower than you and you manage to beat them fairly easily and carried on with your winnings without looking back? a private at that. Since the level is a key factor in rank matchups, would you say given the fairness a private should have the same chance of winning as a warlord? because from what I understand being a warlord doesn't affect stats but rather an awareness of game knowledge.
As to the first of your 3 posts when it comes to rank that's your opinion and I don't agree but I don't have to and that's okay. I will say this though. The ranking system goes by how many matches you have won. If you are level 10 and have won 20 matches then you have the same rank as a level 60 who has won 20 matches. It doesn't matter what level you are you won those matches therefore you deserve that rank (according to the system anyway). Considering the gear used at low level is no longer good stat wise for higher level pvp I could see renaming the ranks at lower level so people could see the difference between doing pvp at high and lower level. It still doesn't change that you shouldn't be forever stuck at a rank that's lower than the amount of battles you've won just because you prefer low level pvp to high level.

As to the boosting it's not the cheesy way to warlord it is flat out cheating (thus why KI has said it's reportable and cleans boosters of the leaderboards when they are reported). I understand just wanting the robe, after all as I said before that's the whole reason I started to pvp myself. However if everyone else has to do it the hard way by winning battles then that means boosters should too. There is no effort at all in boosting yourself. Literally the only effort they put in is making sure they time when they press quick match right so that they get themselves rather than other people to battle.

As for ranks going against each other I agree as I've stated before in my other posts. My ice as a veteran should not have been going against a level 38 just because it was ranked private. My myth as a warlord should not be going against privates. As I worked my way through the low level ranks I thought that part of the system was unfair and still do.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
... However it is possible to work your way up through the ranks at low level despite the unfairness of the matching system. I started my myth at level 5 with gear farmed from Nightshade and Tower of the Helephant. I faced Warlords that were level 15 with commander gear which is 100 times better than my farmed gear at the time was. I somehow manage to defeat them. Those matches were by no means fair. As a rank below veteran at that level any gear I could get ahold of including pack gear was inferior to veteran or commander gear. This does not mean that the matching system shouldn't be fixed so that level 5 wizards aren't going against level 15 veterans and above. Just because it's possible to work your way up doesn't mean it should happen

Being warlord or I should say veteran or above has a huge affect on stats at low level. The gear available once you obtain rank gives you miles of extra power pip chance, resist, and damage. Even just veteran vs. commander gear is a huge difference. Which is also why the matching system needs to take level into account. Those same stats have huge differences at lower level in pvp which was my entire complaint. If you are level 10 you should not be going against someone 18 levels above you.

As for going against people levels below me. It is impossible for me to go against someone 15 levels below me because on my ice it is only level 10 and on my myth the system knows just enough not to pair a level 15 with anyone under level 5. I've never gone against a booster at level 2 once I raised my myth wizard's level to 15.

As for beating people 10 levels below my myth fairly and easily. I have beaten them easily because of gear differences. I wouldn't say it's fair.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
... I didn't believe when I was level 5 that placing me against people level 15 was fair and though I'm now a level 15 myself on my myth I still don't think it's fair. However I was not going to flee a match for that reason when I was ranking up my myth as I know it's possible to beat me just as I sometimes beat them. My myth was beaten several times by people 5 to 10 levels under me with ranks below veteran. As I said before it's only warlord by literally one win and I no longer do ranked pvp on it mostly because I see it as unfair to place my highly geared and high stat for low level wizard against people who are level 5 or 10 with private rank and either bad gear from drops or nightshade gear that's inferior to pvp arena gear. Tournaments are the only thing my myth does simply because I cannot get tickets if I don't do something and I would like the pvp mounts.

If level was actually taken into account in match ups the way it should be rather then how it's done now a private would have a better chance of winning against a warlord. Being a warlord doesn't affect stats at upper level there that is purely by what gear in pve is available to you due to you level. At lower level it does though. The main gear used in pvp at low level is nightshade, veteran, and commander. All have vastly different stats that make a huge difference in pvp.

Knowledge of how to pvp also affects your rank but to be honest there's no real way to gain it without doing pvp yourself. Which is why if you are a level 10 veteran you should not be going against a level 38 private not only because of the huge level difference but the rank difference as well. It's not fair to place privates against high ranked wizards and that was part of my complaint s well though I phrased it a bit differently.

My rank was high therefore the system matched me with a high level wizard because his rank was low. In my opinion that shouldn't be possible because of those exact reasons.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
Just thought I'd post an update on how bad matching system is when it comes to making sure the level of a wizard is appropriate for the match as well as the rank. Today in 2 matches in a row I got a wizard 28 levels above mine and a wizard 29 levels above mine. My ice has managed to gain rank since my last post which is my best guess why it happened but honestly the fact that it happened at all is still ridiculous. (my ice is level 10 so wizards were level 38 and 39 that shouldn't even be in same pvp bracket)

I also felt sorry for the wizard in the first match as she was ranked private and went second. She was very excited to see she had won from second (we all know how hard that can be to do) until she found out I was over 28 levels below her.

It stinks for everyone when the matching system pairs people up when there is such a huge gap in levels. It stinks for the lower level wizard who is trying to gain rank and has zero chance of winning due to various strength differences like health, spells available, etc. (mentioned these above so not gonna go through all of them again). It also stinks for the higher wizards too though. It's not a satisfying win at all to know that you beat someone simply because you are a higher level not through your own skill.

I honestly feel the same way the ice wizard did when I go against wizards just starting out pvp at level 5 on my 15 myth in tournaments ( as said before don't pvp for rank on it anymore). I feel this way when I'm getting matched against privates as well when I'm ranked well above them. At this point my ice should be facing commander, knights, captains, and warlords. This system needs a complete overhaul starting with level gap matching and ending with how ranks are paired up.

And before someone says something, I won the second match so I'm not posting just because I lost. But as also said before just because winning is possible in bad situations doesn't mean they should happen in the first place.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2019
I do agree that PVP matchmaking needs to be fixed its outright outrageous at the time being, it is not fair for anyone to duel someone that is 5+ levels or rank above them in any given circumstances.