Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gear!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 07, 2018
I'm a fairly new player. No point hiding it or feeling ashamed. I have long heard vague and obscure references of "Darkmoor" "Waterworks" and "Wintertusk gear" and now I'd like to thrust this into the light- oh wait, I'm digressing.

I'm in Zafaria now, and currently using Waterworks gear, which is good. I'm wondering if there are any dungeons in Zafaria that drop something betters. On a side note: when's the next time I can get any better gear? I want to know so I don't miss it.

Rylee Giantfist, Level 67

Defender
Mar 12, 2018
FlamingbroP on Oct 19, 2018 wrote:
I'm a fairly new player. No point hiding it or feeling ashamed. I have long heard vague and obscure references of "Darkmoor" "Waterworks" and "Wintertusk gear" and now I'd like to thrust this into the light- oh wait, I'm digressing.

I'm in Zafaria now, and currently using Waterworks gear, which is good. I'm wondering if there are any dungeons in Zafaria that drop something betters. On a side note: when's the next time I can get any better gear? I want to know so I don't miss it.

Greetings Rylee,

I am so glad to meet you, new players are the best players! As far as your gear goes, in Zafaria, Waterworks should have you covered very nicely. There are some players that chase the absolute best stats who may choose to use some pieces from House of Scales depending on their school, but it is absolutely not required.

Wintertusk gear is a stand-in for Waterworks for Wizards that choose to craft their gear instead of farming a dungeon for it. Waterworks/ House of Scales/ and Wintertusk Crafted are all pretty much equal and will all carry you through until level 100 the only changes being your rings and athames.

When you get to level 100, you will want to get your Darkmoor gear. That is the standard gear at that level and although you can switch out some pieces for Rattlebones Exalted just like they did with House of Scales gear at level 60 depending on your school, it is not a requirement. You can get by quite nicely with your Malistaire set until you get the chance to upgrade some pieces in Mirage around level 120. When in doubt, just look at what other players are using then search on the web to figure out how to get it too.

I hope this helps some, if you take away nothing else from what I have said take this.

You should be proud to be new to the game. Kind players will be happy to help you and there are many many kind players to be found, just keep looking. I hope I run into you sometime.

Cheers,
Nathan Darkhorn

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Welcome to the game Rylee!

The places you mentioned earlier are the ideal sources of gear items for the respective levels; 56, 60 & 100.
The gear in Zafaria for the most part only serves to be sold.
The current gear you have on is far superior.

However, you can craft gear in Avalon (next world after Zafaria) that is a bit better than the current waterworks gear.
You'll have to be at least a Transcendent Crafter to access these recipes.
So keep abreast of your crafting quests.

Other alternatives for level 60 gear include the ones found in the House of Scales. This serves as a more offensive set while the ones found in Waterworks are more all rounded; balanced.

Good Luck!

Also, remember to garden and work on a decent pet! - We can assist here as well.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
The only alternatives to Waterworks gear are:

1) top tier House of Scales gear

2) level 70 Atlantis gear

3) level 75 crafted Avalon gear

4) crowns gear from Professor's Hoard or Ghulture's Hoard packs

These few options are competitive with Waterworks in certain ways, offering you different stat builds depending on what you'd like to focus on in battle. Some are better for critical and damage, some better at defense, some better at being well-rounded, etc.

The next big dungeon opportunity is Darkmoor, at level 100. That gear should carry you through to level 130.

As for Zafaria, I'd suggest the crafted rings can be pretty good but the dropped gear is sub-par. In fact, starting here all of the dropped gear in future worlds tend to be disappointing. (Thankfully, it does improve at bit at the end of Polaris, Mirage, etc).

Alia Misthaven

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015

Waterworks gear is pretty good and most people use it until level 100, where they farm Castle Darkmoor for the gear set there. That is the "Darkmoor" they are referring to, and it is the level 100 dungeon that drops level 100 gear. You also get a good spell there, too.

You are currently using the best gear set that is available to you at your current level, so don't worry about it for the time being. Zafaria itself doesn't have any dungeons that drop new gear, but it does have decent crafted gear that you may find it a good idea to invest in. (If you don't decide the crafted gear is good, you should still do the crafting quests anyways for the future)

Here are locations and levels as to when new gear becomes accessible to you:

• Level 60: The House of Scales dungeon - It drops level 60 gear, but I wouldn't really bother since you already have the Waterworks gear.
  • Level 70: Atlantea dungeon in Aquila - This is the second dungeon located in Aquila, and you need to have completed the Mount Olympus (level 30 dungeon) quest in order to access Atlantea. The gear isn't that good, but completion of the dungeon is a requirement for Tartarus. Here's the gear guide.
  • Level 70: Meowiarty Archmage Gauntlet - Don't let the Archmage title trick you, it actually drops level 70 gear :P The gauntlet is available for 500 crowns in the crown shop or you can farm various bosses for the gauntlet as a drop. Here's a guide to the gear if you want to look at it.
  • Avalon and Azteca crafting: here are guides for the crafted Avalon hats and robes, Avalon and Azteca crafted shoes, Azteca crafted robe, and the Azteca crafted hat. The Avalon robe is level 74, with the hat and shoes being 76. The Azteca robe is 84, with the hat and shoes being 86.

I'll continue this in another post.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015

Here's the second half of my post.

Survivor
Aug 07, 2018
This is most incredibly helpful. I have just received the quest for Atlantea, and will be completing it very soon.

These opinions are very much valued, and based on my own research combined with what I've heard here I'm going to go back to House of Scales and grind for the hat.

A special thanks to the post above this by Brahm. The guide is very in depth and I'll be referring to it multiple times throughout my journey!