Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The way the enemies fight needs to be changed

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
By no means are the enemies in this world hard. Instead of attempting to beat us, it seems most of them are just trying to waste our time. Spamming accuracy debuffs, shields, mana burn, supernova, efreet, enfeeble, ect. I can't comprehend why they would be programmed to prioritize using weak, but annoying spells over spells that could actually do something. A good example of a boss that does this is the first you ever face in the world, Inspector Clooso. He has 5 attack spells: Natural attack, FFA, grand phoenix, efreet, and shift grendel. 4 of these spells put some sort of debuff on you. His other spells are: fortify, glacial shield, tower shield, smoke mantle, smoke screen, and choke. Does that seem like an enemy that's designed to be able to beat you, or one that's supposed to make the battle longer than it should be? I'm pretty sure he has a couple more spells, but these are just the ones listed on wizard101 central. I'd much rather fight a hard boss that actually does something, then one that just sits there doing a whole lot of stalling. It seems they tried to make the bosses smarter, but instead made it so that they are very weak and very annoying.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
An update: The way the enemies in this world fight is completely and utterly absurd. I was just in a fight with 2 of the Numbskull ogres found in the river of frozen tears. In this battle, I had an accuracy debuff placed on me over 10 times. No that is not an exaggeration. What does that add to the game? It doesn't make it more challenging, it doesn't improve the players experience, it just wastes our time and makes us incredibly frustrated. For some reason, these enemies don't even have blades and traps. Meaning that the only thing they can do other than passing or attacking, is stunning, shielding, or placing an accuracy debuff. It also doesn't help that of their 4 attacks, 3 of them place some kind of debuff. 2 of those being accuracy debuffs. It's horrible game design. When making a game like this, you're trying to give the player a challenging, yet fun experience. Instead of that, most of the enemies in this world were clearly designed to waste your time. When is the last time you remember enjoying fizzling 4 turns in a row? Would you rather the enemies spam useless, weak attacks in attempts to waste your time. Or would you rather them actually attempt to fight you. Why do these enemies not have blades or traps? It makes no sense from a design stand point to not have those unless you want the enemies to live longer instead of doing more damage to the player. I really hope that the enemies in mirage were actually made to be enemies, instead of tools meant to waste your membership time. If I have to go through another world of this type of enemy, this'll probably be my last year of playing the game. I found the enemies in khrysalis to be perfect. They would buff themselves, and then use a meaningful attack that could do some decent damage. I still remember when balor hit me with a critical, shrike, storm owl with a feint on me. The bosses in this world, however, seem more concerned with debuffing you as much as possible. Sorry for the rant, but I kinda had to.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
jwheaton9634 on Aug 3, 2018 wrote:
An update: The way the enemies in this world fight is completely and utterly absurd. I was just in a fight with 2 of the Numbskull ogres found in the river of frozen tears. In this battle, I had an accuracy debuff placed on me over 10 times. No that is not an exaggeration. What does that add to the game? It doesn't make it more challenging, it doesn't improve the players experience, it just wastes our time and makes us incredibly frustrated. For some reason, these enemies don't even have blades and traps. Meaning that the only thing they can do other than passing or attacking, is stunning, shielding, or placing an accuracy debuff. It also doesn't help that of their 4 attacks, 3 of them place some kind of debuff. 2 of those being accuracy debuffs. It's horrible game design. When making a game like this, you're trying to give the player a challenging, yet fun experience. Instead of that, most of the enemies in this world were clearly designed to waste your time. When is the last time you remember enjoying fizzling 4 turns in a row? Would you rather the enemies spam useless, weak attacks in attempts to waste your time. Or would you rather them actually attempt to fight you. Why do these enemies not have blades or traps? It makes no sense from a design stand point to not have those unless you want the enemies to live longer instead of doing more damage to the player. I really hope that the enemies in mirage were actually made to be enemies, instead of tools meant to waste your membership time. If I have to go through another world of this type of enemy, this'll probably be my last year of playing the game. I found the enemies in khrysalis to be perfect. They would buff themselves, and then use a meaningful attack that could do some decent damage. I still remember when balor hit me with a critical, shrike, storm owl with a feint on me. The bosses in this world, however, seem more concerned with debuffing you as much as possible. Sorry for the rant, but I kinda had to.
About your ROFT experience - there's a life boss called the Numbskull King or something that's near those mobs and it's literally a roaming boss that cheats. Bosses that punish for simple things like a blade or a trap are just really painful to deal with. It's even worse when this aforementioned boss uses a myth centaur that stuns you for a turn if you blade two times. Cheating bosses are one thing, but KI's out of their mind if they make a cheating boss that just roams around with enemies you need to beat for the storyline.

I agree with your points in the first post

I do, however, enjoy the "counters" that the game gives you, like Ivan and Cesar. They give you damage, pierce, etc to help combat all of the dumb things that those bosses and mobs use.