Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Drop System Rework Idea

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 28, 2014
Everyone is already familiar with the infamous drop system this game has. Some like it, while others thoroughly despise it. (I've hit 37 Darkmoor runs without hat)
The problem with this system is that it requires a lot of time, dedication, and patience, but it doesn't give you a sense of accomplishment. Because the drops are completely random each time, you could have farmed a boss 50 times, and be just as close to getting what you want as you were the first time.
My idea for this actually was inspired by this other game called Clash Royale. Their chest system works in that the more you have of a certain card compared to other ones, your chance of receiving it from a chest goes down. That means that the cards you have less of a found more often, thus allowing you to level up lower level cards faster. My idea in putting this in Wiz is kind of like this.
What would happen, is that the more you receive a certain equipment item from a creature, the less of a chance you will receive it next time. Items that have been dropped less, or haven't been gotten yet, will have their chances raised to compensate for the drop. Therefore, players won't have to endlessly farm a boss indefinitely. It would still require time and dedication, as you'll need to farm a lot already to get your chances up, but it keeps the farming at a reasonable level, while giving players a goal to work for. Instead of them saying, "Ugh, I didn't get my gear this round, all that was for nothing", at least they can know that each time they do a run, they've gotten a little closer to what they want.
For example, let's say that a boss drops 10 different equipment items, and they all have an equal chance of dropping. So a 10% for each. (I know drop rates aren't all equal, but I gonna keep it simple here) If you receive one item, the chance of getting it again drops to 5%, while the remaining 5% is divided into the other items. So that means that now you have a 5% chance of getting the item you already just got, and a 10.55% chance for the others. If you then get one of the other items, then your chance of getting that one drops to 5.55%, and all the other receive another .55% buff. I wouldn't say it should work exactly like this, but it's kind of a rough idea.

Note: this would only affect equipment items; no furniture, reagents, jewels, or treasure cards would be affected

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Asa corollary to this idea, I'd like to see packs and bosses drop non bank transferable items (ie spells) that match your wizards school.

For example, I got a Wysteria Lore pack yesterday. Got the Ice School spell "Angry Snow Pig" Doesn't do my Life Wizard much good, and I cannot transfer it to another wizard, so this rare drop is wasted.

So could the algorithm be changed to (If a rare spell is dropped from this pack, pick from spells where spell class = wizard class?) I'd know how to change the program if it where in BASIC. 8-)

Steven Ghoststalker

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
davise332 on Jul 13, 2018 wrote:
Everyone is already familiar with the infamous drop system this game has. Some like it, while others thoroughly despise it. (I've hit 37 Darkmoor runs without hat)
The problem with this system is that it requires a lot of time, dedication, and patience, but it doesn't give you a sense of accomplishment. Because the drops are completely random each time, you could have farmed a boss 50 times, and be just as close to getting what you want as you were the first time.
My idea for this actually was inspired by this other game called Clash Royale. Their chest system works in that the more you have of a certain card compared to other ones, your chance of receiving it from a chest goes down. That means that the cards you have less of a found more often, thus allowing you to level up lower level cards faster. My idea in putting this in Wiz is kind of like this.
What would happen, is that the more you receive a certain equipment item from a creature, the less of a chance you will receive it next time. Items that have been dropped less, or haven't been gotten yet, will have their chances raised to compensate for the drop. Therefore, players won't have to endlessly farm a boss indefinitely. It would still require time and dedication, as you'll need to farm a lot already to get your chances up, but it keeps the farming at a reasonable level, while giving players a goal to work for. Instead of them saying, "Ugh, I didn't get my gear this round, all that was for nothing", at least they can know that each time they do a run, they've gotten a little closer to what they want.
For example, let's say that a boss drops 10 different equipment items, and they all have an equal chance of dropping. So a 10% for each. (I know drop rates aren't all equal, but I gonna keep it simple here) If you receive one item, the chance of getting it again drops to 5%, while the remaining 5% is divided into the other items. So that means that now you have a 5% chance of getting the item you already just got, and a 10.55% chance for the others. If you then get one of the other items, then your chance of getting that one drops to 5.55%, and all the other receive another .55% buff. I wouldn't say it should work exactly like this, but it's kind of a rough idea.

Note: this would only affect equipment items; no furniture, reagents, jewels, or treasure cards would be affected
You should also get to pick what your ideal epic and ultra rare item would be.

Survivor
Mar 26, 2011
Area51Alien on Jul 14, 2018 wrote:
Asa corollary to this idea, I'd like to see packs and bosses drop non bank transferable items (ie spells) that match your wizards school.

For example, I got a Wysteria Lore pack yesterday. Got the Ice School spell "Angry Snow Pig" Doesn't do my Life Wizard much good, and I cannot transfer it to another wizard, so this rare drop is wasted.

So could the algorithm be changed to (If a rare spell is dropped from this pack, pick from spells where spell class = wizard class?) I'd know how to change the program if it where in BASIC. 8-)

Steven Ghoststalker
I think for something like this it should be made more likely that you'll get a spell that matches your school, though of course if you've already gotten that spell on that wizard you'll be able to get spells that don't match your school, and it would still be possible, though less likely, to get spells that don't match your wizard's school without getting the one that does.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Area51Alien on Jul 14, 2018 wrote:

Steven Ghoststalker
I've been saying for a long time that any spell drops should be based off of your primary school first, mastery school next, then other schools last. So, if a pack/boss drops multiple spells, your drop rate would still be the same, but the chance of getting the spell that matches your primary school is much higher, or guaranteed, than off school spells. If you use a mastery amulet, after you get the ones from your school, that one gives you the best chance of being dropped. After that, all bets are off and you get what you get.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2010
I think that the whole point of the game is to put in time in order to receive good gear, as a max, I would rather be farming and battling than farming for reagents all day because I have nothing better to do (Because I already gained all my gear I need). Farming is what keeps the game interesting so that not everything is just handed to you on the second or third battle, it makes winning gear more accomplished.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Dylan LegendSmith on Jul 15, 2018 wrote:
I think that the whole point of the game is to put in time in order to receive good gear, as a max, I would rather be farming and battling than farming for reagents all day because I have nothing better to do (Because I already gained all my gear I need). Farming is what keeps the game interesting so that not everything is just handed to you on the second or third battle, it makes winning gear more accomplished.
we dont mind putting time into farming, but after getting the same item, 3 or 4 times, from a long.hard area, farming isnt worth the trouble. Perfect example, on my life, all I need is the best malistaire Hat, yet I've gotten the best robe AND boots MULTIPLE times, and have gotten the medium hat multiple times too. If there was a way to make it a BIT easier to get the items, I would farm it more often. It shouldn't be easy, it should be a bit easier.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2014
Dylan, judging from your response, I don't think you fully understand what I'm going at here. You would still need a farm a lot and spend time to even get your chances up to a reasonable level in the first place. In 2 or 3 runs, your chances of getting good gear increase minimally. It's only after many runs that you actually start having noticeably better chances. Think of this as more of a limiter on how long you must farm to get what you want.
And really, not everyone enjoys farming. To me and many others, it's dull, boring, but some items are essential to keep up with the rising difficulty arc. (Especially if you solo everything like I am doing)

Note: also, don't take my example as a direct reference. The raise in chances could be more, or they could be a lot less. I just used 5% to make the math easier.