Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

REMINDER: Beware of hackers and how they attack!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 14, 2015
Everyone knows it by now: HACKERS ARE OUT THERE! And no matter what security precautions KingsIsle takes to protect you, your accounts and your wizards, there's no keeping them out forever!

And what's worse? In some cases, these hackers can gain access to your account WITHOUT your password! Yes, it is possible! I've seen it in action!

There are many ways they can do this. Keylogging, malware, Trojans, etc. All of which can prove fatal to your account and even compromise your bank information if it's saved to your account. When people ask me why I wipe my credit card info from my account after making a payment, this is why. I have no problem taking the time to enter it again just so it isn't saved to my account in case it gets hacked.

And there's little KingsIsle themselves can do to stop these people, unless it's detected early, before any major damage can be done.

When people ask me why it is that I made a new account instead of trying to get my old one unbanned, I always tell them: "That account was banned because it's because hacked via keylogging more then once, and it poses a security risk to both myself, and my computer. I ultimately decided it was for the best to have that account permanently banned, wipe all of it's information ( including it's e-mail address ), and start up a new one that HASN'T been hacked repeatedly."

I also took the extra time to get a new computer during that time. It's just the smart thing to do to protect your information.

While getting a new PC is kind of extreme, there are some forms of hacking out there that can not only destroy your account beyond repair, but can also forcibly RUIN your computer forever. When this happens, you'll just have to pay up for a replacement.

There are a few ways to prevent this from happening:

1) Make SURE your computers security is up-to-date.
2) Do NOT use an operating system (OS) that is no longer receiving security updates from the company who produced it ( Windows Vista for example ).
3) Install anti-malware and anti-spyware software on your PC and make sure it's up-to-date! Malwarebytes is excellent for Windows 10.
4) Never, EVER, visit a website that is intended for adult audiences! That's a sure fire way to get a virus put on your computer!
5) ALWAYS scan your computer using your anti-malware software for viruses, malware, or Trojans, to ensure they can't steal any of your information!
6) This is kind of a no-brainer, but make sure your internet has adequate security so you can't be tracked by these hackers!

While sadly, we can't prevent all hackings of our accounts, we can reduce them by staying alert, and taking necessary precautions to protect our computers.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
Wow... thank you for this post.

Were you hacked too?
I was hacked using a keylogger. I lost all 3 of my accounts.
I'm hoping Kingsisle restores everything. I am working with them right now. just so upset right now.
I hope this doesn't happen to anyone.

Survivor
May 14, 2015
eSnowFrost on Jul 5, 2018 wrote:
Wow... thank you for this post.

Were you hacked too?
I was hacked using a keylogger. I lost all 3 of my accounts.
I'm hoping Kingsisle restores everything. I am working with them right now. just so upset right now.
I hope this doesn't happen to anyone.
Sadly, yes. My original account I made back in 2009 was hacked a few years back, and I ended up losing everything, including over 30,000 crowns worth of premium items I had saved up. Not to mention it pretty much ruined my PC, forcing me to get a new one.

Luckily, my highest level wizard at the time was only level 50-ish, so I didn't lose TOO much progress. But it's still a painful reminder that hackers are out there, and we have to do everything in our power to keep our accounts safe.

Defender
Jul 16, 2014
Keyloggers have to be downloaded, so just make sure what ya click on and don’t open any email from people you do not know maybe use preview for mail which might help but not entirely sure on that. Definitely keep the security up. Also change your password from time to time as well and do not let anyone else use your account. Some people give their passwords to their kids or friends then come back later and wonder why their stuff is gone or why they got banned and can’t seem to put two and two together. I have had an account since 2014 and have never lost anything or have been banned. Good luck to ya!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I think the main way people are 'hacked' is they share their account details, either in game or with a friend irl. The second is, they share personal details to connect outside the game...then either think their bond with someone is bigger than it is so share their account details or give enough info the person can guess their password etc...or they open links sent by that person/people.

I can not imagine why a random hacker would go on to my wizard to swear in the commons or delete my favourite wizard. If a random hacker got access to everything on my computer they'd go for bank details to clean me out, steal my identity and take credit in my name.

When a 'hacker' messes with your wizards it's almost certainly someone you know...and it's likely that you shared info we've been warned not to.

I agree with the OP's methods of securing accounts and our computers - that stuff applies to people phishing or trying to access the info on our computers for any reason, not just wizard101.

There is a reason we can't post links in game, it's against the terms of use to give info to meet outside of game, and we're constantly reminded not to share accounts or account info. These are the main weaknesses to our security...WE are the main weakness in our security!

Whether they're your best friend from school or your best buddy in the Spiral...don't give them your account details or info that could lead them to your account details.

I was going to say, if you wouldn't give them your credit card and keys to your house...then I remembered...siblings!!! So often it is the upset sibling in a mood over something who hits right where it hurts...in the wizard! Goodbye favourite wizards, favourite mounts, favourite....anything.

Someone asked for my daughter's account details and she begged me to say she could so she 'could prove she trusted them'. Apparently they said they needed this as proof..huh? Nope! That's not friendship, it's manipulation!

As Fox Moulder would say, Trust no-one!

Explorer
Jul 18, 2016
Like Victoria FireHeart stated, we are the main reasons why we lose our accounts. It really breaks my heart that a lot of Wizards out there keep falling for the same scam in the book. "Hey, give me your account details and I'll gift you a pack or anything in the Crowns Shop." NO! Do NOT buy that scam! It is the oldest trick in the book. The main reason that people fall for this trick is because there are young people playing this game who are no more than 10 years old, so they don't know any better than to share their account information for free stuff. People do enjoy free stuff, but you should never give your account information for anything, even if the scammer says they're a Kingsisle employee. As we're constantly reminded, Kingsisle employees will NEVER ask you for your password while assisting you and a Kingsisle employee will never ever ask you for your full account credentials for any reason. Just a fair warning from me, do not trust any Wizard who wants your full account information in return for a pack. They will just end up stealing your account and everything you worked so hard to get. Just my warning on a way that hackers steal people's accounts. Hope it helped and stay safe out there in the Spiral, Wizards!

With Lots of Love,
Blaze StormSword (Level 40 Diviner and GrandMaster Artisan at your Service!)