Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why its hard to find triple double pets in kiosk

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
You may have noticed over the last week or two that different pets are earning you hatch peppers, there appears to be more mega pets in kiosk, and some pets (e.g. triple double) are much harder to find. To understand why, you need to know about pet pedigree.
Each pet has a pedigree like 66(35). The first number is the total of all 10 talents in both the talents and derby pools. Common = 1, uncommon 2, rare 3, ultra 4, epic 5. So minimum is 20*1 = 20, maximum is 20*5 = 100. The second number is sum of manifested talents. Max is therefore 4 * 5=20 for adult, 30 for ancient, 40 for epic, 50 for mega/ultra. But pedigree is basically useless, because most people are after specific talents – not a fixed pedigree. The best pets don’t always have high pedigree.
Up until a week or so ago you could sort by pedigree or you could double click to get pets in a more random order (if there was some logic to it I couldn’t see it). However, now it has been changed so no matter how you search pets are sorted by pedigree. So what does this effect?
1) Some pets are favoured. E.g:
- Pets with solely proof / may cast pets have 5 epic talents for 25 (plus whatever derby pool is).
- Proof and quad critical = 23
- Dealer and quad critical = 22
- Proof and 4 wards = 21
- Proof and incoming/outgoing healing boosts = 19
- Triple double = 18 (1 uncommon, 1 rare, 2 ultra, 1 epic)
So while triple double pets are very useful and popular, they have up to 7 pedigree penalty compared to other pets. Some may make that up with epic derby talents. But odds are stacked against them. I can guarantee there are triple double pets in kiosk, they are just virtually impossible to find when queues are long (e.g. ench armaments)
2) It is now heavily biased towards mega pets. If you are trying to make a base pet with just proof defy and pain giver, then tough luck. But even epic quad critical pets may have higher pedigree than mega triple double.
3) If everyone keeps hatching with pets early in kiosk queue, they will inadvertently be raising pedigree by selecting pets with epic derby talents. This will raise hatching costs, because higher pedigree can add 10k-20k gold to hatch cost. If you don’t derby, you are actually better to keep derby talents low to minimise cost.
To give you an idea. At one extreme I have a max stat quad critical with a pedigree of 41 that gets a hatch almost every hour. At the other extreme I have a max stat triple double with a pedigree of 35 that is lucky to get one hatch a week. If you want to find triple doubles you have to keep pushing for a change to the way pets are ordered or searched. A good place to start would be to sort on sum of the stats (e.g. 255 + 250 + 260 + 260 + 250) so that there aren't so many non-max stat pets early in the queue increasing the search times.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Michael Bluestone on May 21, 2018 wrote:
You may have noticed over the last week or two that different pets are earning you hatch peppers, there appears to be more mega pets in kiosk, and some pets (e.g. triple double) are much harder to find. To understand why, you need to know about pet pedigree.
Each pet has a pedigree like 66(35). The first number is the total of all 10 talents in both the talents and derby pools. Common = 1, uncommon 2, rare 3, ultra 4, epic 5. So minimum is 20*1 = 20, maximum is 20*5 = 100. The second number is sum of manifested talents. Max is therefore 4 * 5=20 for adult, 30 for ancient, 40 for epic, 50 for mega/ultra. But pedigree is basically useless, because most people are after specific talents – not a fixed pedigree. The best pets don’t always have high pedigree.
Up until a week or so ago you could sort by pedigree or you could double click to get pets in a more random order (if there was some logic to it I couldn’t see it). However, now it has been changed so no matter how you search pets are sorted by pedigree. So what does this effect?
1) Some pets are favoured. E.g:
- Pets with solely proof / may cast pets have 5 epic talents for 25 (plus whatever derby pool is).
- Proof and quad critical = 23
- Dealer and quad critical = 22
- Proof and 4 wards = 21
- Proof and incoming/outgoing healing boosts = 19
- Triple double = 18 (1 uncommon, 1 rare, 2 ultra, 1 epic)
So while triple double pets are very useful and popular, they have up to 7 pedigree penalty compared to other pets. Some may make that up with epic derby talents. But odds are stacked against them. I can guarantee there are triple double pets in kiosk, they are just virtually impossible to find when queues are long (e.g. ench armaments)
2) It is now heavily biased towards mega pets. If you are trying to make a base pet with just proof defy and pain giver, then tough luck. But even epic quad critical pets may have higher pedigree than mega triple double.
3) If everyone keeps hatching with pets early in kiosk queue, they will inadvertently be raising pedigree by selecting pets with epic derby talents. This will raise hatching costs, because higher pedigree can add 10k-20k gold to hatch cost. If you don’t derby, you are actually better to keep derby talents low to minimise cost.
To give you an idea. At one extreme I have a max stat quad critical with a pedigree of 41 that gets a hatch almost every hour. At the other extreme I have a max stat triple double with a pedigree of 35 that is lucky to get one hatch a week. If you want to find triple doubles you have to keep pushing for a change to the way pets are ordered or searched. A good place to start would be to sort on sum of the stats (e.g. 255 + 250 + 260 + 260 + 250) so that there aren't so many non-max stat pets early in the queue increasing the search times.
I really hope KI improve the way people can search pets to make it more user-friendly. I do think there are a lot of excellent pets that are being missed because the search feature is still quite clumsy and arduous. There are also some bad pets being favoured purely because they have high pedigree....why is pedigree such a dominant mechanism for sorting when it has no correlation with how good a pet is?

The kiosk is wonderful but it can be wonderfuller rofl