Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crit Way Way Way Overperforming

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
Since coming back to the game, I've noticed crit ratings are not behaving. I have watched and participated in match after match where nearly every hit or heal is a crit. Most of the players are using gear with crit ratings between 475 and 540, which gives a 33-42% chance of a crit at max level.

My balance is at 546 right now, which equals 42%. I'd say my crit performance has been fairly close to that number. However, most other players are critting LITERALLY almost every time. I've watched an ice with 436 crit rating crit THREE TIMES IN A ROW using a MYTH wand spell!! I've had friends come watch to make sure I'm not crazy, and I've asked other players what their experience has been. ALL agree with me. Now, some kids think that a 50% crit chance SHOULD mean that they crit almost every time, but that just isn't true. The highest crit rating I've seen in pvp is 717 which gave the player an 84% crit chance and he says he crits nearly 100% of the time over a large number of matches.

So what is going on? People are getting criticals so consistently that it just isn't 'random.' Too many players, and even apparently KI programmers, use 'random' to mean anything can happen any time regardless of what stats say. Again, that just isn't true, or at least it shouldn't be.

If kids have learned how to manipulate the order that players appear in the ring for team pvp matches, it shows that players are able to manipulate aspects of 'random' in game. Why would it stop at being able to control the play order in pvp?

Something smells really really really wrong here and I've had lots of people confirm that it isn't me

Defender
May 11, 2013
MrFlin t on May 15, 2018 wrote:
Since coming back to the game, I've noticed crit ratings are not behaving. I have watched and participated in match after match where nearly every hit or heal is a crit. Most of the players are using gear with crit ratings between 475 and 540, which gives a 33-42% chance of a crit at max level.

My balance is at 546 right now, which equals 42%. I'd say my crit performance has been fairly close to that number. However, most other players are critting LITERALLY almost every time. I've watched an ice with 436 crit rating crit THREE TIMES IN A ROW using a MYTH wand spell!! I've had friends come watch to make sure I'm not crazy, and I've asked other players what their experience has been. ALL agree with me. Now, some kids think that a 50% crit chance SHOULD mean that they crit almost every time, but that just isn't true. The highest crit rating I've seen in pvp is 717 which gave the player an 84% crit chance and he says he crits nearly 100% of the time over a large number of matches.

So what is going on? People are getting criticals so consistently that it just isn't 'random.' Too many players, and even apparently KI programmers, use 'random' to mean anything can happen any time regardless of what stats say. Again, that just isn't true, or at least it shouldn't be.

If kids have learned how to manipulate the order that players appear in the ring for team pvp matches, it shows that players are able to manipulate aspects of 'random' in game. Why would it stop at being able to control the play order in pvp?

Something smells really really really wrong here and I've had lots of people confirm that it isn't me
Gonna start by saying, No crit is not out preforming I also returned from a few month break a week or so ago and guess what 80% chance to crit and I get maybe ONE out of Twenty Hits being a critical. So either A pvp has a higher chance for critical to work ( go figure spoiled pvpers) B PvE got a nerf Again ( would not doubt it) or C the critical system thinks 80% is far to low to crit. On the other hand mobs Crit more then they use to so there is that.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2013
MrFlin t on May 15, 2018 wrote:

Yes, I have witnessed what Mr Flint describes here. The crit chance of 84% was an almost sure thing.

The crit chance sure doesn't work this same way in PVE.

Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
My observations continue to be the same in pvp: incredibly high rates of criticals that come no where near to what gear predicts.

KI needs to take a look at this, factoring out jade gear which would probably make 'average' numbers for criticals drop back down to earth.

I have noticed that the higher the ranking of the player, the more this seems to be the case. That is NOT a coincidence! I'm somewhere between rank 1000 and 1100 and am often facing players at 1300+. They crit pretty much 100% of the time. I also play against people as low as rank 375 and they crit much much less.

Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
Some more info to try to help figure out what is happening with crit in pvp.

I changed my gear so that my crit is now 676, which gives me 71% chance to crit. Since increasing this from my previous 570 gear my rate of getting crits has actually dropped but not by much. Now people would say 'well, that's random for you,' which could be true if the sample size was small. Granted, my current number of matches with the higher crit is small compared to 570 but why would I be seeing these fluctuations while no one else is? People are still critting way way way more than their gear would suggest. Is it ok or 'just rng' for me to be about where my stats say I should be but everyone else not? (as a side note, my trend over years and thousands of pvp matches to be first about 1/3 of the time remains the same-more rng, right?)

My balance minions have an 80-100% chance to cast successfully. They fizzle quite often, as everyone knows. Why are they fizzing so often when people with half or even less than half the chance to crit as my minions have to successfully cast are critting nearly every time?

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
It took awhile to get my wizards to 100% critical

Then the game went and adjusted critical down hard

So I adjusted up my damage

But even with a critical over 89%...

...I continue to observe critical is no longer as consistent as it once was

So here's to KI creating a stand alone version of W101, where players can adjust all stats up and down on a whim.

Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
I have been experimenting with crit gear at 733 rating, or an 83% chance to crit. My crit rate with this gear is right around 70% (including heals). I am being crit on just over 80% of the time with most of the players having crit ratings at 457 (around 32%). That's not including opponents' heals, either.

I had an ice, with 1% chance to block, block me FOUR times in a match.

I've seen some players with higher ranks (this is definitely happening more the higher the rank) crit EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. over multiple matches with 434-457 crit ratings.

We should not be seeing math this erratic. It is only happening in pvp.

Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
I'm declaring pvp completely compromised at this point. Since my last post, I am being crit on nearly 100% of the time. I am using gear between 71 and 83% crit chance with almost LESS successful crits than kids in sub 500 gear (talking level 125). Again, this only happens in pvp. If KI can't see the problem, then there's no hope. The fact that there has been NO follow up or asking for more data from me is disheartening. I'm not going to waste real money if the company won't at least acknowledge they're looking into the problem.

Considering all that I've contributed to help the game by way of calculating errors, display errors, and improvements to the pvp system......come on KI show a little love.