Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Chances Are So Stupid...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 29, 2014
So my Birthday, and I bought roughly around $30 worth of crowns to get one thing... The Cloudstrider Pegasus. Not only was every single crown put into that pack but also it was half off for Pack A Palooza. KI This is sad that the chances for this drop is so low. The only thing I wanted was that mount and I didn't get it, Sure I know there's a chance to get it but really!? $30 Worth of Crowns and I got absolutely nothing and unless there's going to be another Pack A Palooza I'm going to half to wait till October so I can throw some more money in to get that Mount. It's so Stupid that I paid that much to get absolutely nothing. Why can't you just put it on the Crown shop now I get it how how you can't put every mount to the Crownshop but really? I have to wait all the way to the end of the Year so I can throw more money in and try to get this mount. Please I'm begging you KI make this mount more easier to get.

- Your Sad Wizard, Kane

Explorer
Jun 07, 2009
elijahbuck12321 on Jan 29, 2018 wrote:
So my Birthday, and I bought roughly around $30 worth of crowns to get one thing... The Cloudstrider Pegasus. Not only was every single crown put into that pack but also it was half off for Pack A Palooza. KI This is sad that the chances for this drop is so low. The only thing I wanted was that mount and I didn't get it, Sure I know there's a chance to get it but really!? $30 Worth of Crowns and I got absolutely nothing and unless there's going to be another Pack A Palooza I'm going to half to wait till October so I can throw some more money in to get that Mount. It's so Stupid that I paid that much to get absolutely nothing. Why can't you just put it on the Crown shop now I get it how how you can't put every mount to the Crownshop but really? I have to wait all the way to the end of the Year so I can throw more money in and try to get this mount. Please I'm begging you KI make this mount more easier to get.

- Your Sad Wizard, Kane
The Hoard packs are meant to be a "gamble" of sorts and permanent mounts are on the rarer side. Think of it this way, permanent mounts in the Crown Shop cost a considerable amount of crowns, for the most part 5,000 and up (yes there are exceptions). When it comes to Hoard packs, they cost anywhere from 199-399 crowns so getting a permanent mount at that price is a huge deal when compared to paying 5,000+ crowns. In the end, you took a risk by buying the Hoard packs and it isn't really KI's fault that you didn't get what you were looking for since they make a point of labeling the rarities of the Hoard pack rewards.

Defender
Aug 03, 2015
The way mounts are distributed to packs are like this

for example: Theres a new grizzly bear pack in the crown shop right? you got all the normal gear that people farm for, cool wand, good gear and a cute pet but then theres the mount that has a huge demand. Now KI can guess that people will want this mount and I mean A LOT of people. So my guess is that every hundred pack or so, a mount gets dropped (this is only a theory). The trick is this: when is the best time to start farming for a really cool mount? the answer? no one knows. You can never know for sure when someone has JUST won a mount. For all we know, you could be at 10k crowns farming already and someone just won the mount. You don't know that and thus you believe that if you keep opening a few more packs, you will get the mount soon. 20k crowns later your left with garbage :/. There is no strategy to this, it's pure luck and yes I also believe that the chances could be uped a little but KI depends o the revenue of these packs. You spend more and more money trying to get a mount that has a little drop rate.

Have you ever wondered why people get mounts first try? Iv'e seen videos of people getting mounts first pack and then freak over it and I couldn't believe it but my guess is that when they opened that one pack, someone was obviously farming for that mount and somehow that person got the mount before the farmer could continue. I opened one winter wonder pack just last year just to see what I could get. I opened the pack and got wolf of the winter perm. Next day I see someone on forums complaining that he spent 30k on that pack and got nothing. You see what I mean? the mount in theory, is set to drop after so much pack (e.g every 100 packs).

It's a very complicated system but in conclusion, you just got to pick a time you feel is the best time and hope luck is on your side but your not alone! iv'e spent many crowns and gotten nothing before but eventually luck will be on your side!!. Good luck!

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Trigon101060 on Jan 30, 2018 wrote:
The way mounts are distributed to packs are like this

for example: Theres a new grizzly bear pack in the crown shop right? you got all the normal gear that people farm for, cool wand, good gear and a cute pet but then theres the mount that has a huge demand. Now KI can guess that people will want this mount and I mean A LOT of people. So my guess is that every hundred pack or so, a mount gets dropped (this is only a theory). The trick is this: when is the best time to start farming for a really cool mount? the answer? no one knows. You can never know for sure when someone has JUST won a mount. For all we know, you could be at 10k crowns farming already and someone just won the mount. You don't know that and thus you believe that if you keep opening a few more packs, you will get the mount soon. 20k crowns later your left with garbage :/. There is no strategy to this, it's pure luck and yes I also believe that the chances could be uped a little but KI depends o the revenue of these packs. You spend more and more money trying to get a mount that has a little drop rate.

Have you ever wondered why people get mounts first try? Iv'e seen videos of people getting mounts first pack and then freak over it and I couldn't believe it but my guess is that when they opened that one pack, someone was obviously farming for that mount and somehow that person got the mount before the farmer could continue. I opened one winter wonder pack just last year just to see what I could get. I opened the pack and got wolf of the winter perm. Next day I see someone on forums complaining that he spent 30k on that pack and got nothing. You see what I mean? the mount in theory, is set to drop after so much pack (e.g every 100 packs).

It's a very complicated system but in conclusion, you just got to pick a time you feel is the best time and hope luck is on your side but your not alone! iv'e spent many crowns and gotten nothing before but eventually luck will be on your side!!. Good luck!
Your theory is interesting, except for the fact that it's wrong. All drops from packs are random. It has nothing to do with someone else ( or a million other players ) are opening packs at that moment; the drop rate is the same for everyone.
KI can make getting the mount easier by removing some of the more common items, like stuff that drops in the game or can be bought in the Bazaar.

Survivor
Nov 29, 2014
Yea, before I opened the pack I did realize that there was a pretty good chance I wasn't gonna get it, though still I realize it's a game I still wish the would just make the chances a little bit lower though.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
Many people have had the same type of experience with non-bundle packs as you OP, and there’s really only two things you can do.

You can keep buying packs with the very very high chance of never getting the mount anyway, or you can stop buying non-bundle packs altogether.

Take your pick.
Those are really the only two options when it comes to non-bundle packs with high demand drops.

Defender
May 17, 2014
That's really unfortunate... I just bought some crowns and got the pegasus on the 5th pack (!!), so it really is rng i think. W101 packs can be really finicky, sometimes you spend 60 bucks on crowns and only get furniture, and sometimes you spend 5 bucks and get 3 mounts

Survivor
Jul 20, 2011
I didn't really read anyone else's response, but here is what I think.

W101 and P101 both have chances of you getting the item from the pack. Some people don't get the thing they want, some people do.

Personally, I get more luck in mounts than anything else.

I play P101 more so I usually farm some of my crowns in them.

If your going to farm a booster pack, don't use all of your crowns. Just use a portion of them and then buy some other stuff. Also, by a portion, I mean about 1/4th of it, which is a quarter of the amount.
If you do get what you want, congratulations! Luck was on your side. If you don't, well, at least you have some, uh... house items...

I doubt anyone cares about the useless house items.