Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hatching a Pet

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 23, 2016
Okay I have a few Ancient and was wondering if I should consider merging them to make a new one. But need some understanding. Can anyone offer detailed insight from personal experience.

I am thinking of merging the following 2 for hatching

1 - Rescue Rover
2 - Lump of Coal or Maple Moose

Not sure like aspects of all three. So any insight as I cannot find any information about these as source for hatching new pets.

Thanks in advance.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Usually, one hatches not to necessarily obtain a new pet but to pass on certain traits or talents to the offspring.

To add again, only certain pets can be merged to create a new one (usually called a Hybrid). From the info you provided, none of those two pets will be able to create any known hybrids.

But if that's your aim, school only pets for example are usually top choices in creating hybrids with other school only pets.

For more info about those pets in particular that you listed, try the following links:

Good Luck!

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
What kind of pet are you actually trying to make? What kind of talents do you actually need?

Maple Moose is Myth - are you a Myth wizard?
Lump of Coal is Fire - are you a Fire wizard?
Rescue Rover is Ice - are you an Ice wizard?

What talents from each of these pets are you hoping to capture?

You will definitely get better and much more specific advice if you share what talents you're hoping to find and combine in a pet. Right now it's hard to understand why you'd want to mix those three pets, unless you explain which talents you've got your eye on.

But in general, select pets that have the talents you want and begin hatching. Train up a baby to adult only - if it does not get the talent you want by adult, discard that baby and try again. In the beginning, only hatch adults who have at least one talent that you want!

If you get lucky enough to find an adult with two talents you want, do not be tempted to train it further. Keep that one at adult and start hatching it with another pet that has a third talent you're wanting. This time when training, go ahead and take the baby to Ancient but stop there. If it gets even one talent you don't want before Ancient, discard and try again.

Once a baby gets all three talents that you want at Ancient, stop training and start hatching for the fourth talent. And so on. It's a long process.

Alia Misthaven

Defender
Jun 23, 2016
Why only Adult and not Ancient it is only 500 More XP?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Andhanni on Oct 15, 2017 wrote:
Because in training them more you can pick up unwanted talents and traits and then those tend to get passed on during hatch. So a lot of people stop at adult, once their pet has the traits they wanted.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
And to continue to what Sparkle said,

They'll then hatch again.

It's a repeated process that requires a lot of time and energy but your pet will come through for you! It's our way of cheating against those cheating bosses :D

Defender
Jun 23, 2016
So I took the guidance of you all here and took my toon that is level 25 now.

He owned a Life Scarab that was an Ancient with the following items:
  • Mana Gift
  • Life-Shot
  • Effervescent (Got this one before this thread) (was hoping for Life-Giver).

Hatched it with a Ladybug that was an Adult with the following items:

• Medic
  • Batusi

The end result was a new Ladybug with some different stats.

The default of Intelligence increased, Strength and Agility remained the same and Will and Power reduced.

Additionally the Common (0 pips) reduced from 6 to 2, the Uncommon (1 pips) went from 0 to 4. The rest remained the same.

So did I do any better or is it to early to tell? Before I spend the time training.

Thanks,

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Andhanni on Oct 15, 2017 wrote:
If you are going to hatch again, there's no reason to train any further, so safe the snacks and energy for the next generation.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Getting rid of those 0 pip talents was a good start. When we start with weaker pets, it takes several generations to get the bad and selfish talents out.

This new baby, train it to adult and see what talents it gets. If even one of the talents is what you want, try hatching it instead of the original parent it most resembles, because now this new pet has fewer 0-pip selfish talents.

Take the next baby to adult and see what talents turn up. If you get talents you do not want, discard the baby and try to hatch its parent again. When you finally get a baby that has two talents you want by adult, keep that new baby and start hatching it....

The process will take a fortune in gold and endless amounts of pet snacks and patience. Over time and many generations, your pets will get stronger and stronger.

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Why not skip hatching a pet at all if it has bad traits. Seems easier/cheaper in the long run. Honest question.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
SparkleTude on Nov 13, 2017 wrote:
Why not skip hatching a pet at all if it has bad traits. Seems easier/cheaper in the long run. Honest question.
Because, sometimes a pet with generally rotten talents and stats will have one or two excellent talents that we want.

A week ago I got an Origami Crane and realized it has a "may cast Mend" talent called Mender that I wanted for my Life wizard. It also has very poor stats and lots of 0 level selfish talents. So, to get rid of the junk, I hatched it with a Fairyfly that I've been working on until I got two talents worth keeping - and one was the may cast Mend.

It only took me about five hatches to get that Mender talent onto a Fairyfly, that also by happy coincidence finally popped out her Unicorn talent! Oh, frabjuous day! Long story short, that Origami helped me finally knock out Entangle and Rugged (a selfish talent) on my Fairyflies and replace them with Unicorn and Mender.

Alia Misthaven
Sophia Soulmender

Defender
Jan 01, 2009
Freshta on Nov 13, 2017 wrote:
Because, sometimes a pet with generally rotten talents and stats will have one or two excellent talents that we want.

A week ago I got an Origami Crane and realized it has a "may cast Mend" talent called Mender that I wanted for my Life wizard. It also has very poor stats and lots of 0 level selfish talents. So, to get rid of the junk, I hatched it with a Fairyfly that I've been working on until I got two talents worth keeping - and one was the may cast Mend.

It only took me about five hatches to get that Mender talent onto a Fairyfly, that also by happy coincidence finally popped out her Unicorn talent! Oh, frabjuous day! Long story short, that Origami helped me finally knock out Entangle and Rugged (a selfish talent) on my Fairyflies and replace them with Unicorn and Mender.

Alia Misthaven
Sophia Soulmender
And that, young wizards, is how you get a pet that is so cool it glows in the dark
Well done Freshta :)